[comp.unix.aux] More fun with Dick & Jane...

ron@afsg.Apple.COM (Ron Flax) (08/01/89)

In article <4144@utastro.UUCP> Alexis Rosen
>This is crap. I've defended A/UX in the past, and probably will
>again in the future. Still, this makes me mad. The "appropriate
>changes" have *NOT* been made. First of all, HFX apparently fails
>under certain conditions and can trash your file system.

What do you mean "apparently" fails, has it failed on you? It sounds to
me like you've gotten this information second hand? I suppose you'd
rather use mfs, or maybe you know some trick with dd?  Hfx works just
fine for "the rest of us" (sorry I just couldn't resist...) :-)

>Even more important, A/UX still uses the System V File System. This
>is simply horrible. The reason is that Apple didn't want to take
>the time to rewrite sash.

Unfortunately this is true of *all* System V base UNIX ports.. where
might I ask do you get your information regarding a rewrite of sash?

>hardware, but it took an outrageous time to get 1.1 out the door. And

And as far as committment goes.. this *is* only the second release of
the product, you are in such a hurry for us to "get it out the door",
that it's amazing that we are able to incorporate *any* new features.

>of course the toolbox support, which was supposed to make this Yet-
>Another-Undistinguished-Unix-Box desireable

Name one other UNIX box that runs *QUALITY* off-the-shelf software at
reasonable prices (ie, under $500-700 per copy).  Granted A/UX doesn't
run all MacOS applications, however it does run many of the standard
ones that lots of us use. (MS-WORD 4.0, Excel 2.2, PowerPoint,
MacWrite II, MacDraw II, MacPaint, More II, WordPerfect, HyperCard,
WingZ, etc...)

>But you want to hear complaints, so there they are. While I'm at it,
>why don't you fix the various documented bugs that have been floating
>around (which make uucp a real problem, for example), bring the port base
>up to SVR3 (or dare I ask for R4?), support the FFS, provide a reasonable
>tape product (the 40SC is the most shameful piece of garbage ever to come
>out of Apple, I think), provide CD-ROM copies, a reasonable manual without
>requiring purchase of the $600 set, decent support of what little new
>hardware Apple has started selling since A/UX came out, etc. etc.

Ah, finally something constructive.. OK.. which bugs are you refering
to when you say floating around?  What version of UUCP would you like
to see?  HoneyDanBer? 4.3BSD?  What would you gain by having an SVR3
porting base? Streams? we have 5.2.1 Streams in 1.1.  What about RFS,
that's in R3, but everyone uses NFS.  Noone has an R4 port out the
door, there's lots of work to be done before that should be considered
a solid porting base.  The BSD Fast Filesystem, yes I'd like to see
that as well, in fact that plus long filenames.  Yes a better tape
backup would be great too, however there are decent 3rd party products
available now, like the Erwin 80MB drive, etc..  Would you like to see
a CD version of A/UX itself? Or just the manuals? Would you consider
buying a CD unit for you A/UX system if A/UX were provided on that type
of media?  What would you consider to be a "reasonable manual" besides
a cheaper price?  I don't understand you comment about what little
hardware Apple's come out with.. we've introduced more products this
year alone than in the entire existance of the company?  Eg. MacIIx,
MacIIcx, Mac SE/30, CD-ROM, Two-Page Display, Portrait Display, etc..

>Am I bitter? Not about A/UX in general. I just bought it, and I knew

I'm glad you're not bitter.. I would really welcome your even-tempered
thoughts with regard to the above questions.  I really think this type
of exchange can be constructive.

--
Ron Flax
UUCP:		..!uunet!afsg!ron

DISCLAIMER: The thoughts expressed above are my own, and do not
            necessarily reflect those of my employer.

elgie@canisius.UUCP (Bill Elgie) (08/02/89)

In article <285@afsg.Apple.COM>, ron@afsg.Apple.COM (Ron Flax) writes:
> In article <4144@utastro.UUCP> Alexis Rosen

> >Even more important, A/UX still uses the System V File System. This
> >is simply horrible. The reason is that Apple didn't want to take
> >the time to rewrite sash.
>
> Unfortunately this is true of *all* System V base UNIX ports..

   Not true.  For example, MIPS Corp's.

   greg pavlov (under borrowed account), fstrf, amherst, ny

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (08/08/89)

In article <285@afsg.Apple.COM>, ron@afsg.Apple.COM (Ron Flax) writes:
 [some stuff deleted]

> >of course the toolbox support, which was supposed to make this Yet-
> >Another-Undistinguished-Unix-Box desireable
>
> Name one other UNIX box that runs *QUALITY* off-the-shelf software at
> reasonable prices (ie, under $500-700 per copy).  Granted A/UX doesn't
> run all MacOS applications, however it does run many of the standard
> ones that lots of us use. (MS-WORD 4.0, Excel 2.2, PowerPoint,
> MacWrite II, MacDraw II, MacPaint, More II, WordPerfect, HyperCard,
> WingZ, etc...)

   I use ESIX (SysV 3.2) with Simul-Task (dos emulator) which cost
about 700 for both. I run MS-WORD 4.0, Quattro, Rix VGA paint,
WordPerfect, Xwindows, Foxbase etc ( your standard off the shelf
*QUALITY* software). Granted it will not Mac based software.
Heck I even get TCP/IP the compilier and a bunch of berkeley
extra's thrown in for the price. You asked for the name.
ESIX is Everex's version of UNIX.

> >But you want to hear complaints, so there they are. While I'm at it,
> >why don't you fix the various documented bugs that have been floating
> >around (which make uucp a real problem, for example), bring the port base
> >up to SVR3 (or dare I ask for R4?), support the FFS, provide a reasonable
> >tape product (the 40SC is the most shameful piece of garbage ever to come
> >out of Apple, I think), provide CD-ROM copies, a reasonable manual without
> >requiring purchase of the $600 set, decent support of what little new
> >hardware Apple has started selling since A/UX came out, etc. etc.
>
> Ah, finally something constructive.. OK.. which bugs are you refering
> to when you say floating around?  What version of UUCP would you like
> to see?  HoneyDanBer? 4.3BSD?  What would you gain by having an SVR3
> porting base? Streams? we have 5.2.1 Streams in 1.1.  What about RFS,
> that's in R3, but everyone uses NFS.

  Don't be silly, everyone dosn't use NFS. I use RFS because the it
is included in the package. It's very useful for remote file systems.
If I want NFS, I can get it for about 300 from more than one vendor.
Streams by itself is useless to the end user unless you give the
user that uses the resources. Something like Streams+RFS or
NFS+Berkely Sockets.

> a solid porting base.  The BSD Fast Filesystem, yes I'd like to see
> that as well, in fact that plus long filenames.
  In R4.

Bob Palowoda                                   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda               (415)-623-8809 1200/2400
Work {sun,pyramid,decwrl}!megatest!palowoda (415)-623-8806 1200/2400/9600/19200
Voice: (415)-623-7495                             A XBBS System
Bob Palowoda                                *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun,dasiy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400
Work {sun,pyramid,decwrl}!megatest!palowoda (415)-623-8806 1200/2400/9600/19200
Voice: (415)-623-7495                        Public access UNIX system

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (08/12/89)

In article <285@afsg.Apple.COM> ron@afsg.apple.com (Ron Flax) writes:
>In article <4144@utastro.UUCP> Alexis Rosen
>>Even more important, A/UX still uses the System V File System. This
>>is simply horrible. The reason is that Apple didn't want to take
>>the time to rewrite sash.
>Unfortunately this is true of *all* System V base UNIX ports.

Untrue.  RISC/os, Mips' port of SVR3, uses the FFS.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086                        rogerk@mips.COM