[comp.unix.aux] Installing GCC

enk@corona (Edan Kabatchnik) (08/13/89)

Net,

     If any of you out there are trying to install GCC from the distributions
found in the /pub/gnu directory on apple.com, I have a word of advice:  the
file 'gcc-1.35.aux.bin.Z' is actually a tar file.  Moreover, the instructions
that come with the distribution don't make this clear.  If Apple would
rename the file to gcc-1.35.aux.bin.tar.Z (or at least make it clear in the
installation documentation that its), everyone would have an easier time
bringing GCC up on their A/UX machine.

     Good luck.

		- Edan

+----------------------------------------------------+-------------------------+
|There is a club if you would like to go.            |     Edan Kabatchnik     |
|You could meet somebody who really loves you.       +-------------------------+
|So you go, and you stand on your own.               |           MIT           |
|And you leave on your own.                          | enk@wheaties.ai.mit.edu |
|And you go home, and you cry, and you want to die.  |Schlumberger Technologies|
|                                   - The Smiths     |    enk@slcs.slb.com     |
+----------------------------------------------------+-------------------------+

aem@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (08/13/89)

enk@corona (Edan Kabatchnik) writes:
>     If any of you out there are trying to install GCC from the distributions
>found in the /pub/gnu directory on apple.com, I have a word of advice:  the
>file 'gcc-1.35.aux.bin.Z' is actually a tar file.  Moreover, the instructions
>that come with the distribution don't make this clear.  If Apple would
>rename the file to gcc-1.35.aux.bin.tar.Z (or at least make it clear in the
>installation documentation that its), everyone would have an easier time
>bringing GCC up on their A/UX machine.

Someone else complained about that as well. Apple *should've* noted that in the
README.  One thing that annoyed me when ftp from apple was the length of
the names. Instead of doing an 'mget *', I had to do each individual file
renaming it to something unique for 14 characters.

aem
a.e.mossberg - aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu/aem@umiami.BITNET - Pahayokee Bioregion
I have a simple philosophy. Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where
it itches.				- Alice Roosevelt Longworth

ron@xwind.UUCP (Ronald P. Hughes) (08/15/89)

In article <1989Aug13.013311.15692@sj.ate.slb.com>, enk@corona (Edan Kabatchnik) writes:
> If Apple would rename the file to gcc-1.35.aux.bin.tar.Z, everyone
> would have an easier time bringing GCC up on their A/UX machine.

Once they got it onto their A/UX machine, the name of the file would be
"gcc-1.35.aux.b", since A/UX doesn't support long filenames.

Ronald P. Hughes		ron@xwind.com (or ...!uunet!xwind!ron)
CrossWind Technologies, Inc.	(408)335-4988