[comp.unix.aux] Mac and A/UX

sdussin@daitc.daitc.mil (Steve Dussinger) (09/12/89)

We are considering acquiring A/UX for a set of Mac systems where
I work, and several questions have come up.  Can someone out there
give me some pointers on A/UX (I don't know the first thing about it
even though I know Unix).

First, we have a reasonably large investment in Mac-OS S/W and
would like to continue to use it under A/UX.  Is this possible??

Second, are the Mac toolbox calls accessible from A/UX 'C'?? Will
I be able to build an A/UX program that contains all of the nice
User Interface toys from MacOS or will I be stuck with a character
based UI??

Also, any other information you can give me on using A/UX would be
greatly appreciated.  To save bandwidth on the network, please
Email responses to the address below. I'll sumarise if there is
enough interest.

				Thanx in advance,
					Steve....

				!		Addresses:
Steve Dussinger 		! InterNet: sdussin@daitc.daitc.mil
Systems Consultant		!	    sdussin@dgis.daitc.mil
Control Data Corporation	! ATTNet: (703) 998-3490 (w)
1800 N. Beauregard St.		!	  (703) 751-2179 (h)
Alexandria, Virginia 22304	! CServ: 76314,2342
			   Disclaimer:
  I'm a consultant.  Whatever I say doesn't mean anything, anyway.

>We are considering acquiring A/UX for a set of Mac systems where
>I work, and several questions have come up.  Can someone out there
>give me some pointers on A/UX (I don't know the first thing about it
>even though I know Unix).

It's System VR3 with a number of Berkeley extensions...

>First, we have a reasonably large investment in Mac-OS S/W and
>would like to continue to use it under A/UX.  Is this possible??

Yes. If a program is compatible, it'll run fine under A/UX. There are
specific parameters for compatibility (many are, actually, similar to System
7.0 compatibility). Word 4.0 and Excel 2.2 and Wingz all seem to run on it
just fine, from what I can tell (I've used them). There are some
limitations, and anything that tries to directly tweak hardware (telecom and
MIDI programs, for instance) won't work, but a fair amount of neat stuff
does. You can always, I might point out, simply reboot the machine back to
MacOS on request to work on stuff as well -- they coexist quite nicely on
the same machine.

>Second, are the Mac toolbox calls accessible from A/UX 'C'?? Will
>I be able to build an A/UX program that contains all of the nice
>User Interface toys from MacOS or will I be stuck with a character
>based UI??

Yes, again with certain documented limitations. The toolbox has been ported
over to A/UX.

--

Chuq Von Rospach      <+>     Editor,OtherRealms     <+>     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   <+>  CI$: 73317,635  <+>  AppleLink: CHUQ

hammersslammers1@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) (09/13/89)

In his post, Chuq von Rospach says:
>[A/UX is] System VR3 with a number of Berkeley extensions...

Hate to do this, Chuq, seeing as you have been a marvelous source of
information and humor since I first got on the net about two years ago,
but...I regret to inform you that A/UX is System VR_2_ not 3 (I wish it
was SRV3).

David Harr "Them's that cannot impeach the past is bound to repeal it"
							     -POGO

cander@unisoft.UUCP (Charles Anderson) (09/14/89)

From article <34671@apple.Apple.COM>, by chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach):
> It's System VR3 with a number of Berkeley extensions...

I hate to disagree with someone for apple, but I believe A/UX is based
on SVR2 not SVR3.  At least the documentation and code are SVR2.  It's
a later version of SVR2 that includes most (but not all) of Streams.
It's also worth noting for the original poster, that A/UX is Posix
Draft 13 and FIPS 151 compliant.

--

Charles.
{sun, amdahl, ucbvax, pyramid, uunet}!unisoft!cander

cander@unisoft.UUCP (Charles Anderson) writes:

>From article <34671@apple.Apple.COM>, by chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach):
>> It's System VR3 with a number of Berkeley extensions...

>I hate to disagree with someone for apple, but I believe A/UX is based
>on SVR2 not SVR3.

My apologies, you're correct. An off-by-one error on the part of my
programmer.

chuq

--

ksand@appleoz.oz.au (Kent Sandvik) (09/20/89)

hammersslammers1@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) writes in article <49020@tiger.oxy.edu>:
      In his post, Chuq von Rospach says:
      >[A/UX is] System VR3 with a number of Berkeley extensions...

      Hate to do this, Chuq, seeing as you have been a marvelous source of
      information and humor since I first got on the net about two years ago,
      but...I regret to inform you that A/UX is System VR_2_ not 3 (I wish it
      was SRV3).

Hi all, to make things a little more complicated, A/UX has streams as in
SysV.3 (no multiplexing though). So it has shades of SysV.3 (as well as
a lot of Berkeley:isms).

Kent

--
                                  KenT Sandvik  --  ksand@appleoz.oz.AU