[comp.unix.aux] kmem_alloc failed: nbytes=8192

ernest@wizard.UUCP (Ernest Hua) (09/20/89)

We seem to be getting an aweful lot of these panics on an NFS server system
w/ 8 megabytes RAM and several SCSI drives.

kmem_alloc failed nbytes=8192
panic: kmem_alloc

What might cause this error?  Are we overstressing our Mac IIx?

Ernest Hua
Tandem Computers
408-725-5580
uucp:  ...!decwrl!pacbell!tandem!wizard!ernest
inet:  hua_ernest#esp@comm.tandem.com

jhc@iris.brown.edu (James H. Coombs) (09/20/89)

In article <518@wizard.UUCP> ernest@wizard.UUCP (Ernest Hua) writes:
> We seem to be getting an aweful lot of these panics on an NFS server
> system w/ 8 megabytes RAM and several SCSI drives.
>
> kmem_alloc failed nbytes=8192
> panic: kmem_alloc
>
> What might cause this error?  Are we overstressing our Mac IIx?

You can use kconfig to increase MAXCORE.  The default is 128K.  We
increased our server to 256K and have not had any problems since.

We have also set the following: NFILE=600,  NINODE=600, NFLOCK=600,
FLCKREC=600, FLCKFIL=150, NPROC=100.

If you are using the KEEPALIVE option on sockets under A/UX 1.1, you
will need to change the timing in the kernel to get the 10 minute
timeouts of 1.0.  We use adb to set tcp_keepidle to 0x96 (down
from 0x3840), but there's no point in making that change unless you
need it.

--Jim

Dr. James H. Coombs
Senior Software Engineer, Research