[comp.unix.aux] A/UX 1.1/1.1.1b3 doesn't work with 24-bit color cards

kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) (10/01/89)

This may be stating the very obvious, but this is just to inform people that
A/UX 1.1 and 1.1.1b3 do not work with the Spectrum/24 24-bit color card, no
matter what monitor mode the card is set in.

Systems:  Macintosh II with 68551 PMMU
	  Macintosh IIcx

	  System 6.0.3

Card:	  Spectrum/24 24-bit color

A/UX WILL boot if the 24 bit board is replaced with an 8 bit color board.

| ARPA:	kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com			    |	William Kucharski     |
| UUCP:	...!{ames,apple,sun,uunet}!amdahl!kucharsk  |	Amdahl Corporation    |
| Saying: "It's a window system named 'X,' NOT a system named 'X Windows'"    |
| Disclaimer:  "The opinions expressed above may not agree with mine at any   |
|              other moment in time, so they certainly can't be those of my   |
|              employer."						      |

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (10/02/89)

In article <aacp02PR5buz01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kucharsk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) writes:
>This may be stating the very obvious, but this is just to inform people that
>A/UX 1.1 and 1.1.1b3 do not work with the Spectrum/24 24-bit color card, no
>matter what monitor mode the card is set in.

Call SuperMac, they have a ROM fix for this

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: D3213
"Free Market": n. (colloq.) a primitive fertility goddess worshipped by an

antonio@Apple.COM (Antonio Ordonez) (10/03/89)

In article <aacp02PR5buz01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kucharsk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) writes:
>This may be stating the very obvious, but this is just to inform people that
>A/UX 1.1 and 1.1.1b3 do not work with the Spectrum/24 24-bit color card, no
>matter what monitor mode the card is set in.
>
>Systems:  Macintosh II with 68551 PMMU
>	  Macintosh IIcx
>
>	  System 6.0.3
>
>Card:	  Spectrum/24 24-bit color
>
>A/UX WILL boot if the 24 bit board is replaced with an 8 bit color board.

I called SuperMac, and they mention an UPDATE for the ROMS in the card
that will fix the problems with A/UX and the MacIIci.  Make sure you
send in your warranty/registration card.

I have no connections with SuperMac other than a user of their products.

#include <disclaimer.h> 	/*  I'll think of a better one later  */
Antonio Ordonez				 	      amdahl \
Technical Communications/Direct Response Center	  pyramid!sun - apple!antonio
Apple Computer, Inc. (408) 996-1010		      decwrl /

wj4@prism.gatech.EDU (JOYE,WILLIAM A) (10/03/89)

Also, The SuperMac Spectrum 8 series II card will not work with AUX 1.1
if you have changed the kernel in any way (i.e. BNET...).

Word from SuperMac Tech support... a fix in the works available in the
NEAR FUTURE (read : when enough people complain).

You may choose to avoid this product util SuperMac gets their act together...--
JOYE,WILLIAM A
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!wj4
Internet: wj4@prism.gatech.edu

steve@cpdaux.UUCP (Steve Lemke) (10/03/89)

}
}Systems:  Macintosh II with 68551 PMMU
}	  Macintosh IIcx
}	  System 6.0.3
}
}Card:	  Spectrum/24 24-bit color
}
}A/UX WILL boot if the 24 bit board is replaced with an 8 bit color board.

This is interesting - it was recently pointed out to me at work that the
Radius DirectColor 24 board would not allow A/UX v1.1 to boot.  I verified
the problem and the ROM on the DirectColor board was modified to allow the
system to boot.  Therefore, there is now a ROM (version 1.1) for the Radius
DirectColor board that will allow it to work under A/UX 1.1.

When we first released the DirectColor board, it was believed that it had
been checked with A/UX, though at the time we only had 1.1 beta 3 of A/UX.
I wonder if something happened between beta 3 and the release version that
made 24-bit video boards not work (?).  Otherwise, it just wasn't really
checked as we had thought.

I'm not certain if our fix for 1.1 will also solve any potential problems
with 1.1.1, since we haven't gotten 1.1.1 yet.  Any comments from someone
with 1.1.1 and a DirectColor board would be appreciated.

Steve Lemke
Engineering QA
Radius, Inc.

--