[comp.unix.aux] Wish list for A/UX

ryan (Ryan Jorgenson) (10/02/89)

I seem to recall seeing a discussion in this group about BUGS/FEATURES/
Wishes for future releases of A/UX.  At the time, I didn't pay too close
attention as I had not had a chance to play around with A/UX very much.
Now that I have, I don't recall the email address of the Apple employee
who wanted a list of suggestions/wishes.  Therefore, I will post my list
to the net to see how much support there would be.

Filename completion in the csh;  maybe I've been spoiled at work (we use
   Suns), but I sure think that a BIG plus for the next release would be
   to include filecompletion for pathnames as an option.

RENICE;  gee, that compute intensive application that I've been running for
   four days now sure is slowing down my terminal session; no problem, I'll
   just change it's niceness with the renice...uh, flip,flip,flip (sound of
   manual pages turning), where's the renice command!@$?!
      --ANOTHER BIG PLUS, while its nice (sic) to be able to adjust the job
           priority when you start it, it would be EXTREMELY valuable to
           change it later

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the serial drivers losing characters
   if you're running a compute intensive job.  It seems any time you try to
   run a compute intensive job (at any NICEness), it will toast uucp sessions
   or TIPs because of lost characters (I think).

COSMETICS issue -- how come I can delete over the prompt?  I mean, even
   BIG BLUE (IBM) won't let you back over the prompt. Although this may seem
   like nit-picking, there are a lot of times when being able to back over the
   prompt is a nuisance.

14 Character names -- I *ALWAYS* use short, descriptive names that are less
   than 14 characters, like NetHack3.1.Patch4d -- that's NOT 14 characters or
   less you say?  Oh.  Seriously, could we bump that up, say to 32 or more?
   Uh, let me make that *IF* you add file completion.  If not, I can
   live with the 14 character limitation, cause I for sure don't want to
   type in the entire non-unique part of the filename.

       Well, that's my list.  I imagine I'm going to be flamed on some of
these, but that's ok.  Don't get me wrong, I think A/UX is a good strong
product (especially with X-Windows), but since Apple wanted suggestions,
I'm getting my 2 cents worth in.

And by the way:  Does anybody know if there is a mail accessible archive
site for those of us that aren't on the Internet and can't ftp to apple.com?
If so, *please* let me know.  I would like to get my hands on the
patches required to make gcc, g++, gnu-emacs, etc. run on A/UX.
Then again, since I've got very little disk space left right now, I'm
not in a blazing rush...

ryan@amc-vlsi.uucp		|	Ryan Jorgenson
ryan@amc-vlsi.ucalgary.ca	|	The Alberta Microelectronic Centre

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (10/04/89)

In article <837@amc-vlsi.UUCP> ryan (Ryan Jorgenson) writes:

>Filename completion in the csh...

Get a copy of tcsh.  An A/UX binary is available on

128.146.8.60    tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

If you don't have internet access, I imagine you could cajole someone
into mailing you a copy.  This would be a lot quicker than waiting for
Apple to implement the feature in csh.

>COSMETICS issue -- how come I can delete over the prompt?

Tcsh won't let you delete over the prompt.  I once had a machine with
an operating system that would LOCK UP THE TERMINAL DRIVER if you sent
it too many delete characters.

Earle R. Horton

--
"People forget how fast you did a job, but they remember how well you
did it."  Salada Tag Lines

pst@anise.acc.com (Paul Traina) (10/04/89)

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) writes:
>Get a copy of tcsh.  An A/UX binary is available on
>128.146.8.60    tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

The binary on tut has a couple of bugs with job control in it.
You might try the binary on anise.acc.com instead.
--
Insanity is the exception in individuals.  In groups, parties, people,
and times, it is the rule.