[comp.unix.aux] Mac Text Processing Formats

hlj@posix.UUCP (Hal Jespersen) (10/04/89)

I would like to create some tools to dump MacOS text documents into
troffable form, or perhaps vice-versa.  Does anyone have a specification
available for one of the widely-used formats, like MS Word (maybe RTF?)
or MacWrite?  One that carries some formatting info along with it, such
as indentation, fonts, and point sizes?  I called Microsoft Customer
Support and they had nothing available to release.

Pls e-mail responses.  Thanks.

					Hal Jespersen
					POSIX Software Group
					447 Lakeview Way
					Redwood City, CA 94062
					Phone:	+1 (415) 364-3410
					FAX:	+1 (415) 364-4498
					UUCP:	uunet!posix!hlj
					 -or-	hlj@posix.COM

dchen@Apple.COM (Dennis Chen) (10/05/89)

In article <173@posix.UUCP> hlj@posix.COM (Hal Jespersen) writes:
>I would like to create some tools to dump MacOS text documents into
>troffable form, or perhaps vice-versa.  Does anyone have a specification
>available for one of the widely-used formats, like MS Word (maybe RTF?)
>or MacWrite?  One that carries some formatting info along with it, such
>as indentation, fonts, and point sizes?  I called Microsoft Customer
>Support and they had nothing available to release.
>
>Pls e-mail responses.  Thanks.
>

>					Hal Jespersen
>					POSIX Software Group
>					447 Lakeview Way
>					Redwood City, CA 94062
>					Phone:	+1 (415) 364-3410
>					FAX:	+1 (415) 364-4498
>					UUCP:	uunet!posix!hlj
>					 -or-	hlj@posix.COM
According to the advertisement, a software product called "MDPIC" from Avatar
might be a solution for you, it is a program that interprets Macintosh text
and graphics formats and converts them into "pic" and "troff" format.
The "pic" is the generalized graphical front end to "troff" which
enables users to include graphics in "troff" documents.

MDPIC is application independent, it allows you to create "pic" and
"troff" graphics using MacDraw, Excel, MacProject, MacDraft, MacWrite,..

For more information, contact

			    5606 Northumberland
			    Pittsburgh, PA 15217
			    (412) 422-9509