[comp.unix.aux] Appletalk w/o card

russotto@mordor.eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) (10/06/89)

OK, now that my basic question has been answered (before I even
asked it, isn't the net great? ), and now I know that to get
Localtalk off the built in ports I need A/UX 1.1.1, will someone
please tell me how much A/UX 1.1.1 will cost to 1.1 owners?

jk@Apple.COM (John Kullmann) (10/06/89)

In article <8910060009.AA01774@mordor.eng.umd.edu> russotto@mordor.eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>OK, now that my basic question has been answered (before I even
>asked it, isn't the net great? ), and now I know that to get
>Localtalk off the built in ports I need A/UX 1.1.1, will someone
>please tell me how much A/UX 1.1.1 will cost to 1.1 owners?

Actually, if you have 1.1 you just need to get the 'appletalk phase 2.0'
package for A/UX. If you are on the update service you will get it
free and automatically, else you can buy it for $99.

--
--------------------   	    -------------------------------------
John Kullmann		    "The above fact and/or fiction is the personal

bill@unisoft.UUCP (Bill Kanawyer) (10/09/89)

In article <35323@apple.Apple.COM> jk@Apple.COM (John Kullmann) writes:
>In article <8910060009.AA01774@mordor.eng.umd.edu> russotto@mordor.eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>>OK, now that my basic question has been answered (before I even
>>asked it, isn't the net great? ), and now I know that to get
>>Localtalk off the built in ports I need A/UX 1.1.1, will someone
>>please tell me how much A/UX 1.1.1 will cost to 1.1 owners?
>
>Actually, if you have 1.1 you just need to get the 'appletalk phase 2.0'
>package for A/UX. If you are on the update service you will get it
>free and automatically, else you can buy it for $99.
>
>--
>--------------------   	    -------------------------------------
>John Kullmann		    "The above fact and/or fiction is the personal
>A/UX group                   opinion of John Kullmann and not Apple Computer.
>jk@apple.com		     They won't even acknowledge my existence..."

I have a copy of the Apple handout "Apple A/UX Operationg System Version 1.1.1"
(M8142/B). In it Apple states "Appletalk for A/UX Version 2.0 (included with
A/UX Version 1.1.1) Allows any A/UX application - Macintoch or UNIX - to
share Apple LaserWriter and ImageWriter pronter over the Appletalk network
system."

I have not seen, either in these printed handouts or here in netland, any
additional details on this change over of Appletalk to the standard
serial ports on the MacII. As a MacII user running UNIX, I would be very
much interested in access to AppleTalk without the front end processer
board necessary with A/UX Version 1.1.

Could Mr. Kullmann or some else in the know, please give a quick summery
here of the new features of Appletalk Version 2.0 and what restrictions
(if any) may apply.

Thanks,

Bill Kanawyer
{ucbvax,sun,uunet}!unisoft!bill