[comp.unix.aux] SE/30 compatibility

6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (10/15/89)

I've heard tell that A/UX is not "supposed" to run on an SE/30. Or at
least that it MIGHT, but it's not supported.

Nevertheless, I might like to try it.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of setup? What version
of A/UX are you running? How often do you experience problems and how
major are they?

I suppose you yourself can decide whether the scope of any reply
merits a follow-up or a piece of mail. I'm not sure of the audience
for this kind of thing.

>I've heard tell that A/UX is not "supposed" to run on an SE/30. Or at
>least that it MIGHT, but it's not supported.

>Nevertheless, I might like to try it.

A/UX 1.1.1 officially supports the SE/30.

--

Chuq Von Rospach <+> Editor,OtherRealms <+> Member SFWA/ASFA
chuq@apple.com <+> CI$: 73317,635 <+> [This is myself speaking]

Anyone who thinks that the argument over {sci,rec}.fishies is about
group names doesn't understand the system.

dwb@sticks.apple.com (David W. Berry) (10/17/89)

In article <2537@hub.UUCP> pete@cavevax.ucsb.edu writes:
>I've heard tell that A/UX is not "supposed" to run on an SE/30. Or at
>least that it MIGHT, but it's not supported.
	With the announcement and release of Release 1.1.1, A/UX
is now both "supposed" to run on the SE/30 and is supported.  Any
version after 1.0.1 will actually run on the SE/30 but until 1.1.1
the SE/30 had no way to print via appletalk, and therefore a marketing
decision was made that it was not "supported".  Since 1.1.1 also
supports AppleTalk using the onboard hardware, AppleTalk printing
and therefore the SE/30 are now supported.

Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry		(A/UX Toolbox Engineer)
dwb@apple.com		973-5168@408.MaBell		AppleLink: berry1

rich@sendai.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us (K. Richard Magill) (10/18/89)

In article <35661@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

   A/UX 1.1.1 officially supports the SE/30.

Does this include support for NFS, X, etc?  over my ethernet card?
How much does it cost and how do I get it?