[net.followup] newsgroup reorg

mlandau@Diamond.BBN.COM (Matt Landau) (09/08/86)

In article <676@bcsaic.UUCP> ted@bcsaic.UUCP (ted jardine) FLAMES WILDLY:
>In article <216@bridge2.UUCP> pvf@bridge2.UUCP (Paul V. Fries) writes:
>>I wrote a message to rick@seismo about the reorg.  Here was his reply:
>>
>> [rick's reply amounted to "The backbone isn't going to carry everything.
>>  You're free to start a mailing list or drop off the net."  --ML]
>>
>>Great attitude, huh?

Almost no one reading this article is going to know who I am (which
is the way I like it), but I've been quietly on Usenet for almost
seven years, since its early days, and watched it grow from a small
handful of machines and a few dozen readers to thousands of machines
and tens of thousands of readers.

I'd *really* hoped to avoid getting involved in this flaming war
over the impending newsgroup reorganization, but it seems that as the
net has grown, some people have forgotten a few basic facts about it.
It comes down to this:

   The only thing that makes Usenet possible is the time and money of a
   relatively small collection of sites and people who do the work of
   writing news software, who try to track down and solve problems in
   the network, and who pay the (often enormous) phone bills to
   ship *YOUR* newsgroups around the country and around the world.

   Nothing says these people HAVE to provide this service for you.  They
   do it because they think that Usenet is a Good Thing.  They do it in
   spite of the headaches involved in trying to coordinate a network
   this large and amorphous.  They do it in spite of the time it takes
   in addition to their real jobs.  (You don't think anyone gets paid
   to keep Usenet running, do you?)  They do it in spite of the aggravation
   they must get trying to explain to their management why their employer
   is spending hundreds (in some cases, thousands) of dollars a month
   to send information about nude beaches, bad jokes, recreational
   drugs, and Hasidic bus drivers around the globe.  They do it in spite
   of people who flame them for not doing all of this exactly the
   way the flamer thinks it should be done.

   The single most important thing that people seem to have forgotten
   is that without the efforts of Rich Adams, Gene Spafford, Mark
   Horton, and others like them (other backbone admins, please don't
   take offense at not being listed explicitly), *there wouldn't be
   a Usenet for you to flame on or about!*

   USENET IS NOT A GOD-GIVEN RIGHT.  IT'S A PRIVILEGE MADE POSSIBLE
   BY A SMALL NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHO WORK HARD TO KEEP IT ALL RUNNING.
   I, for one, appreciate the efforts these people put forth.  You
   should too.

>This is indeed a most repugnant attitude.  I am posting this follow-up to ask
>two questions, both of Mr. Rick Adams and the readership of Usenet.
>
>	1.  By what authority does Mr. Adams attempt to run this
>	    network with such a heavy hand?  Arpanet is owned by
>	    DOD, but Usenet is not owned by anyone.

See above.  Rick is the news admin for seismo.css.gov, one of the backbone
news sites.  Seismo provides news and mail service for a substantial part
of the net, either directly or indirectly.  (How many sites does seismo
feed these days, Rick, and how much UUCP mail do you route for people?)

You're right, Usenet is not owned by anyone.  Essentially, each machine
is free to do as it damn well pleases as far as passing or not passing
on certain groups.  So why flame at Rick and seismo for doing with their
machine as they see fit?  Because it's inconvenient for you?  Sorry, but
it's more inconvenient for them to keep up the status quo.  Since they
do the work and pay the bills, they win.

>	2.  Do the readers of the net really want to permit what
>	    is tantamount to censorship of legitimate, civil
>	    communication?  If it happens to net.rec.skydive, it
>	    can also happen to anyone else's group.

"Legitimate, civil communication"?  Give me a break.  Freedom of expression
is guaranteed you by the US Constitution.  Freedom of expression over an
electronic network maintained and financed by someone is not.  If you're
unhappy about a particular group being dropped by the backbone, you have
two choices:

  (1) Start a mailing list.  If there's really enough traffic, maybe
      the backbone sites will reconsider a newsgroup later.  Then
      again, maybe not.

  (2) Set up your own side-net by getting all the people who are
      interested in your pet newsgroup to carry it among themselves.
      In at least one case (net.rec.drugs), I believe this has been
      done successfully.  Anyone can start a newsgroup.  If the
      backbone sites don't want carry it, it simply means you have to
      set up your own news links and pay your own long-distance
      bills.  That's not NEARLY as hard as what the backbone admins
      have to do.

>I would like to politely invite Mr. Rick Adams to back way off.  I think
>that he has taken his "job" far too seriously, and is in need of a nice
>long rest.  It is he who should 'drop off the network', not any of us.

You'd better hope Rick doesn't take you seriously.  If he and the other
backbone administrators WERE to drop off the net, Usenet wouldn't last long.

If you're *really* unhappy about the way these people are handling things,
volunteer your site as a Usenet backbone and take on some of the workload.
I've heard Rick and others publicly state that they'd welcome anyone
who wants to become part of the backbone.  But until you assume some
of the responsibilities, you've got no right to complain about the way
these people try to maintain the Net.

--
 Matt Landau      	 		BBN Laboratories, Inc.
    mlandau@diamond.bbn.com		10 Moulton Street, Cambridge MA 02238

[Rather `strongly worded' reply; see <216@bridge2.UUCP> or
<676@bcsaic.UUCP> for the text.]

In article <676@bcsaic.UUCP> ted@bcsaic.UUCP (ted jardine) writes:
>This is indeed a most repugnant attitude.

Have you seen the original message?  I have not; and I will not
condemn Rick without knowing that context.

>	1.  By what authority does Mr. Adams attempt to run this
>	    network with such a heavy hand?

Who needs `authority'?  Usenet is run---when it is run at all---by
co-operation, and each event is almost invariably begun by a single
individual.  Rick started things, and as far as I know, all those
with whom he was talking went along.  It is perhaps significant
that those people are the ones in charge of the so-called backbone
sites.  These people, not Rick alone, came up with the current
reorganisation list.

>	2.  Do the readers of the net really want to permit what
>	    is tantamount to censorship of legitimate, civil
>	    communication?

It is hardly censorship.  This argument has been made and rebutted
before.  You are free to post what you will; Rick is free to insult
you; and all of you are free either to drop of the net, or to stop
forwarding articles from some particular user or site.  Doing any
of these with abandon will not help at all.

>I would like to politely invite Mr. Rick Adams to back way off.  I think
>that he has taken his "job" far too seriously,

That is possible ...

>and is in need of a nice long rest.

but that is merely insulting.

>It is he who should 'drop off the network', not any of us.

Alas, I am afraid that he very well may.  Seismo cannot continue
to pay $50,000 every year for Usenet.  Rick clearly does not want
to cut off everything; but in the end, that *is* the ultimate
solution.  Unfortunately, as goes seismo, so do we: I doubt that
even one member of the local cluster of sites fed via seismo is
willing to take on that kind of expense.  Personally, I think Usenet
is not worth that much money.  It is only barely worth the time
and effort required to keep its outdated, buggy software going.

Rick may well have over-reacted.  If so, the proper thing to do is
ignore his outburst; he will soon calm down.  And if not---if the
original message was a thermite-fueled flame---well, in that case,
his reply might well be considered mild.

So calm down.  Have a glass of milk.  Look at the stars high above
the garden.  Even if it all collapses tomorrow, they will still be
there.  Usenet is neat, and I like it, but it is hardly worth
raising your blood pressure about anything that happens to it.
And if, after this, you are still worried, contact your friends
now---`while you have the chance'---and set up a whole new network.
Perhaps someday we will join you.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1516)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris

glee@cognos.UUCP (Godfrey Lee) (09/12/86)

>    The only thing that makes Usenet possible is the time and money of a
>    relatively small collection of sites and people who do the work of
>    writing news software, who try to track down and solve problems in
>    the network, and who pay the (often enormous) phone bills to
>    ship *YOUR* newsgroups around the country and around the world.
>    in addition to their real jobs.  (You don't think anyone gets paid
>    to keep Usenet running, do you?)  They do it in spite of the aggravation
>    The single most important thing that people seem to have forgotten
>    is that without the efforts of Rich Adams, Gene Spafford, Mark
>    Horton, and others like them (other backbone admins, please don't
>    take offense at not being listed explicitly), *there wouldn't be
>    a Usenet for you to flame on or about!*
>
>    USENET IS NOT A GOD-GIVEN RIGHT.  IT'S A PRIVILEGE MADE POSSIBLE
>    BY A SMALL NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHO WORK HARD TO KEEP IT ALL RUNNING.
>    I, for one, appreciate the efforts these people put forth.  You
>    should too.
> --
>  Matt Landau      	 		BBN Laboratories, Inc.

Very well put! Couldn't agree with you more!!!

--
--------------------------------------
Godfrey Lee

In article <676@bcsaic.UUCP> ted@bcsaic.UUCP (ted jardine) writes:
>In article <216@bridge2.UUCP> pvf@bridge2.UUCP (Paul V. Fries) writes:
>>Great attitude, huh?

If one is temperate in one's correspondence with Adams, I've always
found his responses reasonable.  I suspect from the brief extract
that Fries' may not have been the most temperate of the many many
letters (including mine) that Adams received on the subject.

>	1.  By what authority does Mr. Adams attempt to run this
>	    network with such a heavy hand?  Arpanet is owned by
>	    DOD, but Usenet is not owned by anyone.

Bingo.  DoD nor seismo nor AT&T nor anybody "owns" Usenet, especially
since it really isn't a single thing anyone CAN "own".  As far as the
ARPAnet, DoD "owns" it in the sense that it tries to regulate use of
those lines which it pays for; but the non-DDN nets that are part of
the more general Internet (anything not on 10 or 26) are not "owned"
or run by DoD -- DoD only regulates how they interact with 10 and 26
(and then, imperfectly regulates that).

Seismo and other "backbone" sites, by virtue of the fact that THEY
and NOT YOU pay for their machines and the majority of the comms
costs for the news that passes through them, and in an attempt to be
as of much service as they can!  without getting swamped!  have a
perfect right to decide what goes through their machines, as do you
for your machines.  They have repeatedly said that if you value an
alternate topic so much, you are perfectly welcome to set up alternate
comms routes that do not involve their news machines.

>	2.  Do the readers of the net really want to permit what
>	    is tantamount to censorship of legitimate, civil
>	    communication?  If it happens to net.rec.skydive, it
>	    can also happen to anyone else's group.

No.  We are not.  You are perfectly welcome to set up a mailing list,
net.rec.skydive.  It is agreed by the responsible members of the net
that, to prevent net overload and total failure, we have to somehow
regulate the initialisation of new net news topics.  The most fair
way seems to have been to take existing mail in an already overworked
topic (C from Unix, e.g.) and make a new topic.  If any net.rec topic
threatens net.unix, I think it should be shunted to alternate comms
channels -- or shut off, if no one cares enough to do that.

>that he has taken his "job" far too seriously, and is in need of a nice
>long rest.  It is he who should 'drop off the network', not any of us.

Did you read either of the relevant notes?  Did you notice that Adams'
only "job", as far as this goes, was to type in the announcement that
was agreed on by the people who are spending their bucks (well, their
employers' -- from which fund their salaries are drawn) to bring us
news?  Did you note that even HE did not agree with all of it?  And
finally, are you sure that Fries' out-of-context quote:

>>>You are, of course, free to drop off the network.
>>>You certainly aren't doing ME a favor by "passing the shit along".
>>>Start a mailing list if its that important.

was not merely a response to Fries' (no doubt sarcastic) offer to do
so?  That last is just a guess, based on knowing Adams' style.  But I
personally think that's prob'ly what happened.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}
			jsdy@hadron.COM (not yet domainised)