[comp.unix.aux] Difficulties with serial ports and carrier detect.

time@oxtrap.uucp (Tim Endres) (10/30/89)

I have a new IIcx with four Telebits stacked to the side.
I built the system on the hard disk using a IIx and the installation
floppies, since I wanted a clean installation. Then moved the drive
to the IIcs.
A/UX appears to be operating flawlessly. The modems work flawlessly
under MacOS, except I can not tell if the carrier detect line is there
since no MacOS software that I have tests it.

Now, when I bring up the IIcx as unix, and "init 2", I see the getty's
started on the serial ports, but unfortunately, the getty are not
blocking on the CD line. They are opening immediately, and of course,
some chaos occurs as the login prompt and the modem dish out responses.

I have properly setup /etc/gettydefs, since the same file work for
the Telebits hanging from the IIx. In fact, /etc/gettydefs, /etc/remote,
/etc/dialup, /etc/ttytypes, /etc/inittab, are all the same between the
working IIx and the not working IIcx.

I still suspect the cable of not delivering the CD line, waiting on new
cable to test it.
Anyone know of anything else I might be missing?

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (10/31/89)

In article <1989Oct30.130157.28821@oxtrap.uucp> time@oxtrap.uucp (Tim Endres) writes:
>I have a new IIcx with four Telebits stacked to the side.

Would you mind posting which serial board you are using?  Inquiring minds want
to know which one to buy...

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

mel@fleet.UUCP (mel) (10/31/89)

In article <1989Oct30.130157.28821@oxtrap.uucp> time@oxtrap.uucp (Tim Endres) writes:
>I have a new IIcx with four Telebits stacked to the side.
>I built the system on the hard disk using a IIx and the installation
>floppies, since I wanted a clean installation. Then moved the drive
>to the IIcs.
>A/UX appears to be operating flawlessly. The modems work flawlessly
>under MacOS, except I can not tell if the carrier detect line is there
>since no MacOS software that I have tests it.

If you are using an Apple supplied cable for your modem you will find that
they are not wired to pin 8 on the RS-232 connector.  I believe they
"look" for the dsr signal on pin 6.  In any case you'll have to make or
find cables that are wired correctly to pin 8.  I've typically bought
Mac Plus to Imagewriter II cables and chopped them in half to use the
mini-din 8 ends.  Be careful since all of the signals cross in this
cable.  Thus color codes on one end are different from the other end.

Mel Shear
!rex!fleet!mel