[comp.unix.aux] Large Monitors for X Window under Macintosh A/UX

tody@noao.edu (Doug Tody X217) (11/07/89)

I will soon be getting a Mac II running A/UX to use as an X Window
development system.  Although the system will have adequate disk and
memory for use as a workstation, it will have only the standard 14" color
monitor, which is a bit small for use with windows.

I am considering adding a high resolution color or monochrome monitor to
this system.  It appears that most third party hires monitors for the Mac
support only MacOS; can anyone recommend a product which will also work
with A/UX and X windows?  I will be getting the Apple version of X window,
but have no information on the monitors it supports (probably only Apple
monitors).  Perhaps the MIT release of X11.4 will include support for
additional monitors under A/UX.

Many thanks for any information anyone out there can provide!

Doug Tody   National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson AZ, 602-325-9217
UUCP: {arizona,decvax,ncar}!noao!tody  or  uunet!noao.edu!tody
Internet: tody@noao.edu             SPAN/HEPNET: NOAO::TODY (NOAO=5355)
--

steve@cpdaux.UUCP (Steve Lemke) (11/10/89)

In article <1250@noao.UUCP> tody@noao.edu (Doug Tody X217) writes:
}
}I am considering adding a high resolution color or monochrome monitor to
}this system.  It appears that most third party hires monitors for the Mac
}support only MacOS; can anyone recommend a product which will also work
}with A/UX and X windows?  I will be getting the Apple version of X window,
}but have no information on the monitors it supports (probably only Apple
}monitors).  Perhaps the MIT release of X11.4 will include support for
}additional monitors under A/UX.

I am pleased to officially announce that the Radius 19" Color Display, when
connected to either a Radius Grey Scale/Color (8-bit) board or a Radius
DirectColor (16 or 24 bit) board, works with Apple's implementation of
X-Windows under A/UX 1.1.1.  I personally tested this earlier this week. The
DirectColor board requires ROM version 1.1 (on the video board; it should be
available from Radius Tech Support first thing next week).

Unfortunately, Apple's A/UX (and therefore X-Windows) does *NOT* support
16-bit or 24-bit modes on Macintosh video cards, so 8-bit mode is the most
colorful you can get for now, even with the DirectColor 24-bit board.  In
the future, hopefully Apple will bring 32-bit QuickDraw support to A/UX,
and also to X-Windows.

A/UX appears to run on whatever video card is leftmost in the Macintosh,
whether or not a monitor is connected, and without regard to which monitor
is selected as the "Menubar" monitor in MacOS.  However, under X-Windows,
multiple monitors are supported, and it is therefore possible to have one
or more Radius monitors combined with one or more Apple monitors.  See the
X-Windows documentation for details on how to select which monitors to use
and with what bit modes.

Steve Lemke
Engineering QA Department
Radius Inc.
(radius.com coming soon!)

--
----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
----- Internet: cpdaux!steve@apple.com                GEnie:  LEMKE

chetty@world.std.com (Chetty Ramanathan) (11/13/89)

>I am pleased to officially announce that the Radius 19" Color Display, when
>connected to either a Radius Grey Scale/Color (8-bit) board or a Radius
>DirectColor (16 or 24 bit) board, works with Apple's implementation of
>X-Windows under A/UX 1.1.1.  I personally tested this earlier this week. The
>DirectColor board requires ROM version 1.1 (on the video board; it should be
>available from Radius Tech Support first thing next week).

Has anyone had any success in running X-Windows under AU/X 1.1.1 with a
Supemac 19in (Trinitron) monitor connected to a Supermac 24bit board?

Anybody know whether Supermac have released the new version of the ROM?

	-chetty
Software Tool & Die                         chetty@world.std.com
1330 Beacon Street                          (617) 739-0202
Brookline MA02146

dales@Apple.COM (Dale Satterfield) (11/13/89)

In article <1989Nov12.215614.5121@world.std.com> chetty@world.std.com (Chetty Ramanathan) writes:

>Has anyone had any success in running X-Windows under AU/X 1.1.1 with a
>Supemac 19in (Trinitron) monitor connected to a Supermac 24bit board?

I don't know about Supermac, but I have been using a RasterOps 224
with a 19in. monitor and have had no problems. X only supports 8 bits though.
I invoke with X11 -screen 0 -depth 8.