[comp.unix.aux] Requirements for A/UX

mike@shogun.us.cc.umich.edu () (11/10/89)

I have a IIcx with 5 megabytes of RAM and a 100M drive.  I'm interested
in purchasing A/UX and installing it on an external drive.  I have heard
that installing A/UX on a non-Apple drive is difficult to impossible.
Is this really the case?  Am I better off buying A/UX installed on an
Apple 80M?  Also, what tape drives are supported under A/UX?

I know this question comes up frequently and I would appreciate any
help you could give me.

                                                                 Michael Nowak
                                       University of Michigan Computing Center
                                611 Church St., 2nd floor Ann Arbor, MI  48104

dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) (11/10/89)

In article <1989Nov9.160558.193@terminator.cc.umich.edu> mike@shogun.us.cc.umich.edu () writes:
>I have a IIcx with 5 megabytes of RAM and a 100M drive.  I'm interested
>in purchasing A/UX and installing it on an external drive.  I have heard
>that installing A/UX on a non-Apple drive is difficult to impossible.
>Is this really the case?  Am I better off buying A/UX installed on an
>Apple 80M?  Also, what tape drives are supported under A/UX?
>
>I know this question comes up frequently and I would appreciate any
>help you could give me.

A/UX can be installed on _most_ any hard drive out there, so long as the
capacity is sufficient (around 80MB for a normal installation).  What makes
it difficult, or easy, is the amount of support you get from the drive
vendor.  Do they support Apple's partitioning scheme?  Do they provide a
partitioning program that can create A/UX partitions along side the MacOS
partition?  You need to check with the vendors and get a commitment.
If you already have the drive you want to use for A/UX, check with the
manufacturer to see if they have updated software.

Worst case, you can use A/UX's formatting and partitioning utilities to set
most drives up for A/UX exclusively - no MacOS.  This isn't great, but if
works.  You don't have to worry about a driver because A/UX uses its own -
even for the Apple drives.

The final word: Check with the drive vendor to see if they have
A/UX compatible drives, and what to they consider compatible.  Many
companies that sell hard drives are now aware of the A/UX market, and
many have done the work required for A/UX compatibility.

-Dave

  Dave (Gimme more MHz) Wells, Apple Computer, Inc.  MS: 37-Y  (408) 974-5515
          Mail: dwells@apple.com or AppleLink d.wells or GEnie D.WELLS
 These opinions may be nothing more than the ramblings of a fatigued tinkerer

kmarko@hpdml93.HP.COM (Kurt Marko) (11/11/89)

: / hpdml93:comp.unix.aux / dwells@Apple.COM (Dave Wells) / 11:00 pm  Nov  9, 1989 /
: Worst case, you can use A/UX's formatting and partitioning utilities to set
: most drives up for A/UX exclusively - no MacOS.  This isn't great, but if
: works.  You don't have to worry about a driver because A/UX uses its own -
: even for the Apple drives.
:
A quick followup question....assuming you're willing to dedicate a
whole disk to an A/UX filesystem, how does A/UX work witht the removeable
cartridge drives like those from Syquest or IOmega?  Will the A/UX
SCSI driver work?  Can I use the standard UNIX commands to create and
mount a filesystem on them?  (They're great backup devices for the
MacOS, and it would be nice if they worked with A/UX too).

Thanks in advance,

Kurt Marko
kmarko@hpbsla.hp.com

lee.armet@canremote.uucp (LEE ARMET) (11/14/89)

Michael,

    Apparently there is another way of installing A/UX on the Mac
without purchasing Apple's hard drive with it. Someone told me a month
ago or so. I'll try to find them and shoot them down to find the answers
for you. I'd ask around some more Unix type people.

Talk to you later.....
Lee S. Armet
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R