[comp.unix.aux] A/UX 1.0.1

jk@Apple.COM (John Kullmann) (10/04/88)

in answer to all the questions about 1.0.1, it contains NO
functional improvements. it is functionally equivalent (exactly)
to 1.0 a/ux except that we have tweeked the sash and kernel to
provide support for the mac IIx (68030). it is of no interest to
anyone running on a mac II (however, 1.0.1 will run on both).

--------------------            -------------------
John Kullmann			"All opinions and comments are mine alone"
A/UX Technical Mgr		..!apple!jk
Voice: 408-973-2939

chn@a.lanl.gov (Charles Neil) (10/04/88)

In article <18183@apple.Apple.COM>, jk@Apple.COM (John Kullmann) writes:
> in answer to all the questions about 1.0.1, it contains NO
> functional improvements.

                 . . .

> --------------------            -------------------
> John Kullmann			"All opinions and comments are mine alone"
> A/UX Technical Mgr		..!apple!jk
> Voice: 408-973-2939

Now about A/UX 1.1:  has the end of year situation cleared up enough
to release it?  I'm anxiously waiting for color, large/multiple
monitors, toolbox, etc.

--

Charlie Neil (chn@lanl.gov)
Los Alamos National Laboratory (505) 665-0978

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (10/04/88)

In article <18183@apple.Apple.COM> jk@Apple.COM (John Kullmann) writes:
>in answer to all the questions about 1.0.1, it contains NO
>functional improvements.

Why is it that when some ridiculous question like "When is 1.X.Y" coming
out gets asked, or when there's a Unisoft/Apple flame war, there is always
someone from Apple lurking on the net who can answer, but when there is
a legitimate problem concerning the ethernet interface under A/UX which
apparently is shared by every customer with a serious ethernet, all we
get is dead air?

Whatsa matter, you folks don't use ethernet?  You don't use A/UX?
Your boss has commanded that you don't say anything because the
design of the ethernet card is bad and you can't afford to replace
them all? What's going on?  I'd really like to hear something.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

jherr@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Jack Herrington) (10/05/88)

in article <754@a.lanl.gov>, chn@a.lanl.gov (Charles Neil) says:
> Now about A/UX 1.1:  has the end of year situation cleared up enough
> to release it?  I'm anxiously waiting for color, large/multiple
> monitors, toolbox, etc.

Seriously, my apple rep. said that they just didn't have the time before the
first release to put in sound, and color (SCSI I could conceivably see as a
security hole).  But this has been enough time...

-Jack

phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) (10/06/88)

In article <1981@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
  [Why is it that there is not someone from Apple lurking on the net
   who can answer about legitimate problems?]

>Whatsa matter, you folks don't use ethernet?  You don't use A/UX?
>Your boss has commanded that you don't say anything because the
>design of the ethernet card is bad and you can't afford to replace
>them all? What's going on?  I'd really like to hear something.

Steve has a rational question. We at Apple tend to answer questions that
we know the answer to or have definite/strong opinions on. Networking
problems are complex -- we aren't at the customers site and generally
don't know what unusual and/or unique local "customizations" may exist
at the site for example.

If it makes you feel better, I was reading comp.unix.aux specifically
to gather up all the "I have a network/Ethernet problem" postings and
put them in a document for the manager of the A/UX Ethernet group to
read. I was doing this because my reaction was like Steve's -- gee, there
are a lot of complaints about this suddenly, maybe we'd better look see.

What is going on? Well, there is no bad Ethernet card situation or anything
like that. And I don't know enough about protocols to say if the postings
show "we is doing it wrong" or what. BUT WE ARE AWARE OF IT AND AIN'T
IGNORING IT.

Looking at my saved postings file, the last time we have a "bunch" of
I have an Ethernet problem was quite a time ago. It seemed that 4-5 people
plugged their Ethernet card into A/UX and expected it to right without
running autoconfig and setting the daemons on /etc/inittab. So there
was a bunch of "A/UX Ethernet doesn't work" postings. The instructions in
the release manual explicitly showed how to run autoconfig and enable the
daemons -- but hey, we're Macintosh users, we don't read no stinkin' manuals...

Is that "anti-dead air" enough? :-)
+------------------------+-----------------------+----------------------------+
| Philip K. Ronzone      | A/UX System Architect | APPLELINK: RONZONE1        |
| Apple Computer MS 27AJ +-----------------------+----------------------------+
| 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd.  | If you post a bug to the net, and the manufacturer |
| Cupertino CA 95014     | doesn't read it,does that mean it doesn't exist?   |
+------------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
|{amdahl,decwrl,sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft}!apple!phil                 |

dyer@arktouros.MIT.EDU (Steve Dyer) (10/06/88)

In article <18289@apple.Apple.COM> phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) writes:
>What is going on? Well, there is no bad Ethernet card situation or anything
>like that. And I don't know enough about protocols to say if the postings
>show "we is doing it wrong" or what. BUT WE ARE AWARE OF IT AND AIN'T
>IGNORING IT.

I would guess that you don't know enough about the situation to say that
there is no bad Ethernet card situation.  The symptoms seem to relate
to more than one packet arriving at the interface within a short period of
time--it's not a protocol problem, though it may be a device driver problem
or limitation.  I wouldn't dismiss hardware, however.  I've seen this happen
under A/UX with (presumptive) broadcasts but also with a simple
"rcp -r remote:dir dir"--the network dies every time.

I'd try to change the MTU of the ae0 interface to something smaller than
1500 to see if that had any effect when using TCP, but I haven't found the
appropriate ifnet structure in the kernel yet.

I am always puzzled by responses like that above (and it's not unique to
Apple), because it essentially says "the problem report is written down",
which is gratifying, but strangely unsatisfactory to anyone who also works
in software (especially someone who works with 4.3 networking regularly.)
If I were at Apple, I'd grab the person who wrote the ae interface driver
by the collar and say: "what gives?"  Usually an first-degree explanation of
the problem is obvious, although a solution may not be.  Of course, it may be
that the person who wrote this isn't at Apple, which makes things tougher.

>Looking at my saved postings file, the last time we have a "bunch" of
>I have an Ethernet problem was quite a time ago. It seemed that 4-5 people
>plugged their Ethernet card into A/UX and expected it to right without
>running autoconfig and setting the daemons on /etc/inittab. So there
>was a bunch of "A/UX Ethernet doesn't work" postings. The instructions in
>the release manual explicitly showed how to run autoconfig and enable the
>daemons -- but hey, we're Macintosh users, we don't read no stinkin' manuals...

That is not the case here in any of the recent postings.  I would like to
know, of those of you who are running A/UX on a heterogeneous ethernet,
if there are any of you who are operating WITHOUT this problem.  That
would be a useful datapoint.

---
Steve Dyer
dyer@arktouros.MIT.EDU
dyer@spdcc.COM aka {harvard,husc6,ima,bbn,m2c,mipseast}!spdcc!dyer

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (10/06/88)

In article <18289@apple.Apple.COM> phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) writes:

>| If you post a bug to the net, and the manufacturer |
>| doesn't read it,does that mean it doesn't exist?   |

Unlike trees in a forest, when one user makes a noise the rest listen.

While we're talking about Ethernet:

I posted a query a while ago asking why NFS on A/UX always reads and
writes 1024 bytes at a time, ignoring the rsize and wsize options
to "mount", plus any hints that the NFS server may provide.

I got a couple of responses (but none from Apple) suggesting that the
Ethernet card just isn't capable of receiving multiple back-to-back
packets, and so the software forces the read size to be small enough
that only one packet will get sent back.

Question one: is this true?  Is Apple going to offer an "industrial-strength"
Ethernet card that has better performance?

Question two: even if the card can't handle multiple incoming packets,
why can't I *send* more than 1K in a write?

A/UX has the most reliable NFS implementation of the various machines
around here, and I'm happy about that, but also the worst performance.
I'd like reliability *and* speed.

mellon@eris.berkeley.edu (Ted Lemon) (10/06/88)

In article <18289@apple.Apple.COM> phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) writes:
>I have an Ethernet problem was quite a time ago. It seemed that 4-5 people
>plugged their Ethernet card into A/UX and expected it to right without
>running autoconfig and setting the daemons on /etc/inittab. So there
>was a bunch of "A/UX Ethernet doesn't work" postings. The instructions in
>the release manual explicitly showed how to run autoconfig and enable the
>daemons -- but hey, we're Macintosh users, we don't read no stinkin' manuals...

Having been one of the people in that group, I must say that your accusations
are groundless.   I wasn't provided with TFM to R.   In fact, we still haven't
received the A/UX release notes, six months after A/UX arrived.   We also
haven't received any documentation about how to make a second drive work,
or any of that wonderful stuff.   The support staff has been very good about
tracking down and sending every bizarre manual they can lay their hands on,
but never the correct one.   If anyone's interested, I've been sent some
really old (antique?) APDA documents for A/UX, of which I had previously
had only the smaller, inferior post-release versions. :'}

Also, there was a defective Ethertalk card, produced for Apple by 3Com.
Apple stopped delivery of Ethertalk cards for quite a while while that
little mixup was resolved.   Supposedly, there was a bug in the PROM which
resulted in poor performance under some circumstances.   Given the current
performance, I'd sure hate to have one of the old ones.

Bye the way, does, or will, A/UX support the SCSI adapter card which
plugs into NuBus and actually, incredibly, does DMA?   I understand that
this is a third party product, but I'm sure that it would do wonders
for disk performance!

				_MelloN_

tjt@tis.llnl.gov (Tim Tessin) (10/07/88)

In article <7325@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> dyer@arktouros.MIT.EDU (Steve Dyer) writes:

> I would guess that you don't know enough about the situation to say that
> there is no bad Ethernet card situation.  The symptoms seem to relate
> to more than one packet arriving at the interface within a short period of
> time--it's not a protocol problem, though it may be a device driver problem
> or limitation.  I wouldn't dismiss hardware, however.  I've seen this happen
> under A/UX with (presumptive) broadcasts but also with a simple
> "rcp -r remote:dir dir"--the network dies every time.
>
> That is not the case here in any of the recent postings.  I would like to
> know, of those of you who are running A/UX on a heterogeneous ethernet,
> if there are any of you who are operating WITHOUT this problem.  That
> would be a useful datapoint.

I bought a Kinetics EtherPort II card for my Mac II.  The kinetics card
is not a 3com, it's an Excelan somthing-or-other.  I called up
Kinetics and they sent me a A/UX driver.  It hung just like the Apple
cards.  A few calls to tech support and they had the guy who wrote
the driver out here to fix it first hand (Of course, they are only 30
miles away).  The problem seems to stem from other machines on the
network not obeying the minimum packet inter-arrival specs for
Ethernet.  I suppose you could say that machines who don't obey the
spec don't belong on the net, but that ain't realistic.  We have a very
large network with about 1500 machines from pc's to cray-2's. The big
machines provide a backbone using hyperchannel with DEC LANBridge 100
to bridge to the ethernet sub-nets.  Since we run heterogeneous
protocols (DECNET, TCP/IP, etc) over the wires, we can't filter the
packets, so everyone sees everything on the net.  My A/UX system hasn't
quit since the driver fix, running uninteruppted for at least 4-6 weeks
at a stretch (that being the longest I have run it without voluntarily
rebooting).

Tim Tessin - Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
PHONE: (415) 423-4560
ARPA:  tjt@tis.llnl.gov
UUCP:  {ames,ihnp4,lll-crg,lll-lcc,mordor}!lll-tis!tjt

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (10/07/88)

In article <15054@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mellon@eris.berkeley.edu (Ted Lemon) writes:

>We also
>haven't received any documentation about how to make a second drive work,
>or any of that wonderful stuff.

Well, this part is (relatively) easy.  Just format the drive, then use dp to
create the partitions.  Then put 'pname' entries into ptab and the mount info
into mtab.  It took two days of reading the FM and trying to make
it go,... but it was trivial when I finally figured out what was going on.

Too bad Apple hasn't written up a quick checksheet for this.  BTW: HD setup,
which creates partition maps on Apple drives, has a different idea of what
flag bits to set than A/UX does.  No one seems to know why, at this time.
Also, none of Apple's HD Setup partitions use bad-block areas.  I don't know
if this is because (1) the disk controller has hardware bad-blocking, or
(2) the software bad-blocking does not work, or (3) the Mac OS people don't
know what this field means, or (4) Apple disks never get bad blocks.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

mellon@eris.berkeley.edu (Ted Lemon) (10/07/88)

In article <4330@polya.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:
>Well, this part is (relatively) easy.  Just format the drive, then use dp to
>create the partitions.  Then put 'pname' entries into ptab and the mount info
>into mtab.  It took two days of reading the FM and trying to make
>it go,... but it was trivial when I finally figured out what was going on.
Well, this is all very well and good, but when I tried that, I had some
serious trouble booting to Finder.  I forget the details.   After messing
with it for a few hours, we just dd'd the A/UX disk to the new drive and
remade the filesystems on the new drive.   Needless to say, this is not
a user friendly installation procedure...

				_MelloN_

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (10/08/88)

  > Stuff about how "It's all in the Manual deleted."

Ah. But how do I get my Priam 330 meg disk to work under both MacOS and
A/UX? The manual specifically states that this is hairy, and that they don't
want to tell you how to mix operating systems, but I want to anyway.

First problem: Since the Priam doesn't know about partitions, if I use dp
to add the six or so I need for A/UX will that wipe out the driver?

Pierce
wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu    pwetter@caltech.bitnet pwetter@caltech.edu
  Weird theory #47: Islamic women can do kinky things with their ankles,
                    that's why the Koran says they aren't supposed to
                    reveal them in public.

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (10/09/88)

In article <8254@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Pierce T. Wetter) writes:

>Ah. But how do I get my Priam 330 meg disk to work under both MacOS and
>A/UX? The manual specifically states that this is hairy, and that they don't
>want to tell you how to mix operating systems, but I want to anyway.

>First problem: Since the Priam doesn't know about partitions, if I use dp
>to add the six or so I need for A/UX will that wipe out the driver?

Well, that is indeed the problem.  The only way you can mix the systems is if
the driver supplied for the Mac OS will honor the new type partition map, and
reinitialize the OS partition based on the logical size in the PM entry.  We
finally got a version of the SuperMac driver that will do this,... but it took
some time.  BTW, there ought to be a way to zero the first three blocks of a
partition from 'dp'.  If you resize a Mac OS partition without moving it, the
driver has no way of knowing that the last 500 blocks now belong to A/UX!

Push on your friendly (sic!) vendor to get a better driver.

Did you know that the installation program must not only put the driver update
in the place the Partition Map says, but must also update the driver pointer
field in block 0? (Helpful hint #315)

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

tph@walt.cc.utexas.edu (tan pow hwee) (12/02/89)

I am thinking of acquiring a used A/UX 1.0.1 software.  What are the
improvements Ver 1.1.1 offer over 1.0.1?

Basically, I just want to be able to run plain unix on my Mac II
with PMMU.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

PH Tan
tph@cs.utexas.edu