[comp.unix.aux] GNU Emacs under A/UX

LUBKT@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (12/02/89)

I seem to notice a lot of A/UX users mention about GNU Emacs under
A/UX. But recently, I obtained a copy of GNU Emacs from
prep.ai.mit.edu and in the installation instruction, it states clearly
that GNU Emacs is not made available to the A/UX system. This was the
most recent version, probably, 18.53. This is because Apple Computer
Inc. resent public shareware softwares which GNU Emacs developer
resent a lot. Now, is this true of the most recent version of Emacs or
has this been going on for a while? I would love to have GNU Emacs
compiled into my system. If any one has compiled GNU Emacs under A/UX,
could you please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Binod Taterway
User Consultant
Lehigh Univerisity Computer Center
Bethlehem, PA 18015.
E-mail: LUBKT@vax1.cc.lehigh.EDU
        LUBKT@schwuk.cc.lehigh.EDU

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (12/04/89)

In article <9803@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu> LUBKT@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu writes:
>I seem to notice a lot of A/UX users mention about GNU Emacs under
>A/UX. But recently, I obtained a copy of GNU Emacs from
>prep.ai.mit.edu and in the installation instruction, it states clearly
>that GNU Emacs is not made available to the A/UX system. This was the
>most recent version, probably, 18.53. This is because Apple Computer
>Inc. resent public shareware softwares which GNU Emacs developer
>resent a lot. Now, is this true of the most recent version of Emacs or
>has this been going on for a while? I would love to have GNU Emacs
>compiled into my system. If any one has compiled GNU Emacs under A/UX,
>could you please let me know.

Since this question is getting asked again by several people, I'm
responding to the newsgroup.

Got a copy of A/UX 1.0? Copy emacs off it. Came with A/ux.

Want 18.54? Ftp to apple.com and check in ~ftp/pub/gnu

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
No more things should be presumed to exist than are absolutely necessary.