[comp.unix.aux] X window trouble under A/UX

LUBKT@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (12/20/89)

I have been trying to compile X-window under A/UX 1.1, but there is a
bizarre problem I always run into. Those who have compiled X-window
under A/UX would know what I have to say next. Here are the steps that
I followed:

	1. cd to $BUILD/server/ddx/macII and execute the shell script
	R3setup.sh. This builds a public domain cpp and sets up few
	misplaced files.
	2. Then at the top-level directory ($BUILD), I issued the
	command:
		make BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS=-DmacII World > make.world &
	3. This builds all of the makefiles from the machine
	independent Imakefiles. The problem occurs when building
	$BUILD/X11/bitmaps/Makefile from $BUILD/X11/bitmaps/IMakefile.
	The resulting Makefile is not a proper makefile as it contains
	some lines that do not follow make syntax. Looking at the
	Makefile, it appears that the problem is in makedepend. However,
	the above problem does not appear if I cd to $BUILD/X11/bitmaps
	directory and run Imake directly.

Make complains about the syntax of the improperly constructed Makefile
in $BUILD/X11/bitmaps directory and terminates prematurely. Did any of
one of you folks encountered similar trouble compiling X window or am
I the only one? I would really appreciate your comments and
suggestions. Thanks in advance.

 Binod Taterway, User Consultant, Lehigh University Computing Center
 Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA 18015.         Tel: (215) 758-3984
 E-mail: LUBKT@vax1.cc.lehigh.EDU (Internet),     BT00@lehigh.BITNET

LUBKT@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu (12/23/89)

In article <9931@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu>, LUBKT@vax1.cc.lehigh.edu writes:

> I have been trying to compile X-window under A/UX 1.1, but there is a
> bizarre problem I always run into. Those who have compiled X-window
> under A/UX would know what I have to say next. Here are the steps that
> I followed:
>
> 	1. cd to $BUILD/server/ddx/macII and execute the shell script
> 	R3setup.sh. This builds a public domain cpp and sets up few
> 	misplaced files.
> 	2. Then at the top-level directory ($BUILD), I issued the
> 	command:
> 		make BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS=-DmacII World > make.world &
> 	3. This builds all of the makefiles from the machine
> 	independent Imakefiles. The problem occurs when building
> 	$BUILD/X11/bitmaps/Makefile from $BUILD/X11/bitmaps/IMakefile.
> 	The resulting Makefile is not a proper makefile as it contains
> 	some lines that do not follow make syntax. Looking at the
> 	Makefile, it appears that the problem is in makedepend. However,
> 	the above problem does not appear if I cd to $BUILD/X11/bitmaps
> 	directory and run Imake directly.
>
> Make complains about the syntax of the improperly constructed Makefile
> in $BUILD/X11/bitmaps directory and terminates prematurely. Did any of
> one of you folks encountered similar trouble compiling X window or am
> I the only one? I would really appreciate your comments and
> suggestions. Thanks in advance.

After fews days, I figured out the problem myself. The problem had
nothing to do with X software. I was trying to compile X on a NFS
drive which was physically located on a Cyber machine. It seems CDC
machines have limitations mapping unix style file-name mappings under
NFS. Often, I cannot create file name longer than 14 chars (doesn't
even truncate like System V), and more problems arise if the file name
contains both upper and lower case letters. When I tried to compile
under A/UX's internal drive, this problem did not arise which makes me
suspect the problem with NFS, especially the NFS daemon under Cyber.