[comp.unix.aux] X11R4, AUX, Problems, and Some solutions.

steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) (01/07/90)

Here are some problems that I ran into when building R4 under AUX 1.1.1 as
well as some solutions.

	xinit:	Seems to be looking for ./filename or /filename and it does not
		get em that way. (shell problem?)
		Work Around:  Use full path names in /usr/bin/X11/X11R4.

	cpp:	Limited to 7 include directories.  It will bomb out somewhere
		in server/ddx/macII/.	(of all places)
		Solution:  Increase the NINCLUDE define in util/cpp/cppdef.h.

Also, the imake configuration stuff needs to be told to build makefiles with
	-B/usr/lib/big/ added to CFLAGS
and /etc/bsdinstall for INSTALL instead of bsdinst.sh.  bsdinst.sh did not
work at all... the cp command in the script was not happy.. 8-(
(server/ddx/macII/R4setup.sh puts bsdinstall in /etc)

	xterm:	xterm is not registering entries in utmp... I dont know why.
		I have checked the app-defaults and dont see anything to cause
		this.

Anyone else?  Anything overlooked?

peters@apple.apple.com (Steve Peters) (01/09/90)

In article <5881@umd5.umd.edu> steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) writes:
> xinit:  Seems to be looking for ./filename or /filename and it does not
>         get em that way. (shell problem?)
Actually a broken X11R4  script (derived from R3, where xinit.c behaved
better :-{  )
> Work Around:  Use full path names in /usr/bin/X11/X11R4.
Right, both for "xterm" and "XmacII".

> cpp:    Limited to 7 include directories.  It will bomb out somewhere
>         in server/ddx/macII/.   (of all places)
> Solution:  Increase the NINCLUDE define in util/cpp/cppdef.h.
Under A/UX 1.1 and later, you needn't run the R4setup.sh script--util/cpp
isn't needed. The macII/README fails to say that only A/UX 1.0 requires
R4setup.sh.

> Also, the imake configuration stuff needs to be told to build makefiles
with
>         -B/usr/lib/big/ added to CFLAGS
Better, correct config/macII.cf (if you aren't using gcc):
#define     CcCmd      cc -B /usr/lib/big/

> and /etc/bsdinstall for INSTALL instead of bsdinst.sh.  bsdinst.sh did
not
> work at all... the cp command in the script was not happy.. 8-(
Hmmm, bsdinst.sh works OK for me. Were you super-user when you did "make
install"?

> xterm:  xterm is not registering entries in utmp... I dont know why
Me neither, I'll look into it.

Steve Peters
Apple Computer, Inc.