[net.followup] MUSIC MAN auditions at NEW PLAYERS THEATRE GUILD

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (09/07/86)

In article <5183@decwrl.DEC.COM>, todd@sweeny.dec.com writes:

>             NEW PLAYERS THEATRE GUILD AUDITIONING 'THE MUSIC MAN'
>
> The New Players Theatre Guild, Fitchburg, Mass. is pleased to announce
> the schedule of auditions for their fall musical, THE MUSIC MAN.  Auditions
> will be held at the New Players building, 444 Water Street in Fitchburg.
> Performances will be at Memorial Middle School in Fitchburg November 6,

Hot dog!  Just what you've all been waiting for, eh?  They don't do
this kind of thing in Sweden, German, Japan, Australia, huh?  Well,
get on a plane and come on over to Fitchburg!  I know I'll be flying
up from Maryland for these auditions.

Great!!!  Finally a non-You-Know-What-Big-Company employee does *it*.
(Only wish it wasn't from *my* company :-)!)
--
Fred @ DEC Ultrix Applications Center
INET: avolio@decuac.DEC.COM				* Fight the Fight *

brian@sequent.UUCP (Brian Godfrey) (09/16/86)

In article <5183@decwrl.DEC.COM> todd@sweeny.dec.com writes:

>            NEW PLAYERS THEATRE GUILD AUDITIONING 'THE MUSIC MAN'
>
>The New Players Theatre Guild, Fitchburg, Mass. is pleased to announce
>the schedule of auditions for their fall musical, THE MUSIC MAN.  Auditions
>will be held at the New Players building, 444 Water Street in Fitchburg.

   I have always wanted to play the part of Professor Harold Hill in The
Music Man. Since I won't be able to make it to Fitchburg, maybe you will
take my audition over the net.

   First the speaking parts:

   "Where are you headed, friend?" [train passenger]
   "Wherever the people are as green as the money...friend." [me]

   "Juuust a minute, Professor, we need your credentials." [the city councilmen]
   "Why certainly, gentlemen, I have just what you need in my hotel room.
	 Goodnight, ladies." [me]

   How was that? Really dynamic, huh? Well I suppose something gets lost over
the net. Maybe the songs will come accross better:

   "...I consider that the hours I spend with the cue in my hand are golden.
    Helps me cultivate horse sense, and a cool head, and a keen eye.
    Ever try to give yourself an ironclad leave from a three rail billiard
	shot?
    Well just as I say it takes judgement brains and maturity, and I say that
	any boob
    Can take and shove a ball in a pocket.
    And I call that sloth - the first big step on the road to degrada-
    I say first medicinal wine from a teaspoon, then beer from a bottle!...

   Or:

   "Maaaaaaaaarion. Madam libraaaaaaaaarian
    [Jump, twirl, tap tap.]
    What can I do, my dear, to make, it clear, I need you madly madly Madam
	Librarian. Marian.
    [Jump on desk, tap, twirl]
    It's a long lost cause that I can never win.
    What the civilized world accepts as unforgivable sin.
    Any talking outloud with any     librarian, such as
    Maaaaaaaaarion. Madam libraaaaaaaa - sssshhhhhhh - rian...."

   And if that doesn't get me the part I can do other parts. How's this?:

   "Oh ho the Wellth Fargo wagon ith a comin' down the thtreet
    Oh pleathe let it be for me.
    Oh ho the Wellth Fargo wagon ith a comin' down the thtreet
    I withh I withh I new what it could be."

   Or:

   "...Cash for the merchandise, cash for the buttonhooks,
       cash for the cotton goods, cash for the hard goods.
    Cash for the fancy goods, cash for the soft goods,
       cash for the noggins and the pinkins and the firkins.
    Cash for the hogshead casks and demijohns,
       cash for the crackers and the pickles and the flypaper."

   So how did I do? If I get the part I presume transportation will be paid
from Portland to Fitchburg as we starving actors don't have the finances to
cross the entire continent by ourselves.
   Thank you for this opportunity.

--Brian

[PS - for a tape of this audition, try tar -cf >/dev/rts0.]