[comp.unix.aux] Is Apple not recommending anonymous ftp for A/UX?

jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Levitt) (01/19/90)

I can't find anywhere in the A/UX 1.1 manuals where
setting up anonymous ftp is described. This is no big
deal -- I can still set it up, but since it doesn't seem
to be mentioned anywhere, it gives me the impression that
Apple doesn't want people doing it, perhaps because it is
such a potential security hole. But then, I can ftp to apple.com....
Or maybe it's just an omission. Any thoughts?

-----

Jason Levitt    P.O. Box 49860  Austin, Texas 78765  (512) 459-0055
Internet: jason@cs.utexas.edu         | "Disneyland exemplifies the essence of
UUCP    : cs.utexas.edu!hackbox!jason |  the American spirit and continues to
BIX     : jlevitt                     |  show us the way to follow our dreams."

steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) (01/19/90)

In article <1083@gort.cs.utexas.edu> jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Levitt) writes:

>I can't find anywhere in the A/UX 1.1 manuals where
>setting up anonymous ftp is described. This is no big
>deal -- I can still set it up, but since it doesn't seem
>to be mentioned anywhere, it gives me the impression that
>Apple doesn't want people doing it, perhaps because it is
>such a potential security hole. But then, I can ftp to apple.com....
>Or maybe it's just an omission. Any thoughts?

From ftpd(1M)
	  4)    If the user name is ``anonymous'' or ``ftp'', an
		anonymous ftp account must be present in the password
		file (user ``ftp'').  In this case the user is allowed
		to log in by specifying any password (by convention
		this is given as the client host's name).

--
	-steveg@umd5.umd.edu		..!uunet!mimsy!umd5!steveg
"Ignore the message: 'ld warning: file /tmp/kernAAAa06386 has no relocation