[comp.unix.aux] Serial ports and mounting disks

certain@vangogh.cs.unc.edu (03/01/90)

I set up an A/UX system last summer and have pretty much just let in run
since then.  I now have to make some changes and have forgot most of
what I know.  In addition, my support hotline account has, of course,
run out, so.....

I have a Mac/OS program that controls the serial ports in what is probably
a low-level way.  The product is called Teleflex and it is a voice-mail
machine for your Mac.  When I run it, it says "checking hardware connections"
and then stalls.  I assume it's trying to access the hardware unit
connected through the serial ports, and A/UX won't let it.  Any ideas?

The other question which probably has an obvious answer is how do you
mount a disk in single-user mode?

Thanks for any help,
		    Andrew Certain
		    certain@cs.unc.edu

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (03/08/90)

In article <12315@thorin.cs.unc.edu> certain@vangogh.cs.unc.edu () writes:
>I have a Mac/OS program that controls the serial ports in what is probably
>a low-level way.  The product is called Teleflex and it is a voice-mail
>machine for your Mac.  When I run it, it says "checking hardware connections"
>and then stalls.  I assume it's trying to access the hardware unit
>connected through the serial ports, and A/UX won't let it.  Any ideas?

No chance. You should rework your code for A/UX to use more
conventional UNIX techniques namely opening /dev/printer or
/dev/modem (otherwise known as /dev/tty0 and /dev/tyy1) and
using ioctl calls to set baud rate etcetera. You'll hate it but
A/UX is never going to let you see the hardware. A more
Macintosh solution is to rewrite your Mac stuff for the Comms
Toolbox and hope that A/UX gets Comms Toolbox emulation (though
without your support contract you probably won't get such a new
version...).

>The other question which probably has an obvious answer is how do you
>mount a disk in single-user mode?

Easy. Type the commands

        pname -a
        mount -at 5.2

to get all of the normal filesystems mounted (except NFS ones,
but you'd need to do various other things to get your machine
ready for those). A cautious person would probably run fsck
before the second command to make sure the filesystems were OK,
but isn't life boring if we never take chances...

>Thanks for any help,
>                   Andrew Certain
>                   certain@cs.unc.edu

No problem, other than the fact that about 1/3rd of the
messages that I see on this group actually come from me or my
colleagues! Is there a lot of stuff over in the US that doesn't
make it across the Pond, or does nobody read this group?
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP