[comp.unix.aux] Ugly little areas when running toolbox application

wdavis@x102c.harris-atd.com (davis william 26373) (03/09/90)

When running an toolbox application that has been launched or running
a toolbox application such as term which is merely run as a AUX process,
5 little windows will appear on the top of the screen partially overwriting
the menu bar.  This occurs whenever a console message would appear.
In our application, this is specifically happening when NFS has problems.
We have also seen it when driver debug output has occurred with a
toolbox program running.  We have also seen this under hfx as well.
The menu bar can still be accessed even though hidden, and after the
access, the menu hides behind the window again.

Does anyone know how to fix this or prevent it?

advTHANKSance

coolidge@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (03/09/90)

wdavis@x102c.harris-atd.com (davis william 26373) writes:
>When running an toolbox application that has been launched or running
>a toolbox application such as term which is merely run as a AUX process,
>5 little windows will appear on the top of the screen partially overwriting
>the menu bar.  This occurs whenever a console message would appear.
>In our application, this is specifically happening when NFS has problems.
>We have also seen it when driver debug output has occurred with a
>toolbox program running.  We have also seen this under hfx as well.
>The menu bar can still be accessed even though hidden, and after the
>access, the menu hides behind the window again.

>Does anyone know how to fix this or prevent it?

This is happening because A/UX thinks the console is 1 bit deep and is
writing directly to screen memory. The toolbox program, on the other hand,
has the screen in 8 bit deep mode, and so the screen memory A/UX writes to
gets mapped into the "5 magic boxes".

The best fix would be to find some way to make all console I/O go into a
file rather than onto the screen. X manages to do this, so it can be done,
but right off the top of my head I don't know how to do it. If nobody out
there has a fast-fix program, I'll dig out the X source and try to figure
it out...

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1990 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (03/11/90)

<
< Does anyone know how to fix this or prevent it?
<
Make a shell script "run":
: /bin/sh
cat /dev/osm >/tmp/console &
jobno=$!
launch "$*"
kill $jobno
cat /tmp/console # or use "more" (or "less" if you have it)

Beware: Some people have experienced very interesting kernel bus errors with
this method. Your mileage may vary.

--
Matthias Urlichs