[comp.unix.aux] Does nobody read this group? Was Re: Serial ports and ...

ronniek@photon.tamu.edu (Ronnie Killough) (03/08/90)

In article <1759@sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk> liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) writes:

>No problem, other than the fact that about 1/3rd of the
>messages that I see on this group actually come from me or my
>colleagues! Is there a lot of stuff over in the US that doesn't
>make it across the Pond, or does nobody read this group?

Well, you just made me realize my mistake of specifying 'usa'
distribution when I post news rather than 'world' ... not that
I was inadvertantly doing this, rather some of us who are a little
more perhaps naive or whatever don't realize that not only do those
of you 'across the pond' use much of the same equipment we do, but
consequently have the same problems we do.

Sorry for that...I will start specifying 'world' distribution!

Ronnie Killough
ronniek@cs.tamu.edu

jnelson@gauche.enet.dec.com (Jeff E. Nelson) (03/08/90)

>No problem, other than the fact that about 1/3rd of the
>messages that I see on this group actually come from me or my
>colleagues! Is there a lot of stuff over in the US that doesn't
>make it across the Pond, or does nobody read this group?

In some ways, I like the fact that this is a low-volume newsgroup; it
keeps the amount of time I spend here way down.  :-)

However, one thing I would like to see improve is the number of answers
that are posted.  There are a lot more questions than answers in this
newsgroup, and I for one am interested in not only the problem, but how
the problem is eventually solved.  Not that I am advocating that there
ought to be ten answers (all basically the same) for each question,
though.  Rather, a summary of responses or even a little more discussion
would be nice.

-Jeff E. Nelson
-Digital Equipment Corporation
-Internet:  jnelson@tle.enet.dec.com
-Affiliation given for identification purposes only

logan@inpnms.UUCP (Jim Logan) (03/09/90)

#
# Rather, a summary of responses or even a little more discussion
# would be nice.

I have been lurking here for a few days now, and I too would like
to see more summaries and postings in general.  I am preparing to
purchase a Mac IIci and A/UX.

Maybe I can get the ball rolling in this newsgroup with a simple
question.  Can anyone tell me how painful it is to use disk drives
and QIC tape drives from other vendors under A/UX?

My local dealer is over-charging me for everything, and I'm not
confident that he knows what he's doing when in comes to A/UX,
therefore I'll be buying the IIci and A/UX on tape from him (the
cheapest place around) and buy the RAM upgrade, 300MB disk, and
150MB QIC tape drive through mail-order.

I don't know if the A/UX SCSI driver will support any old big
SCSI disk I plug in.  Does the format program know how to format
a disk this large?  Does the SCSI tape driver know how to talk to
anything besides the Apple 40MB tape drive?  Can I boot from this
external 300MB drive?  Can I leave the Finder on my 40MB internal
drive so I can use it sometimes?

			Thanks in advance,
			-Jim Logan
--
James Logan                       UUCP: uunet!inpnms!logan
Data General Telecommunications   Inet: logan%inpnms@uunet.uu.net

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (03/11/90)

In article <235@inpnms.UUCP> logan@inpnms.UUCP (Jim Logan) writes:
>I have been lurking here for a few days now, and I too would like
>to see more summaries and postings in general.  I am preparing to
>purchase a Mac IIci and A/UX.
>I don't know if the A/UX SCSI driver will support any old big
>SCSI disk I plug in.  Does the format program know how to format
>a disk this large?  Does the SCSI tape driver know how to talk to
>anything besides the Apple 40MB tape drive?  Can I boot from this
>external 300MB drive?  Can I leave the Finder on my 40MB internal
>drive so I can use it sometimes?

It supports most, you should check with the vendor. The vendor's
partitioning software may not support A/UX but you can use the
dp utility to hack around this. Formatting a big disk should be no
problem, but using the vendors format program (under the MacOS) will
work just as well (maybe not counting partitions as above). The SCSI
tape stuff only works with the Apple tape drive as far as I know,
but there are other vendors who sell A/UX compatble tapes with drivers,
I haven't used any so I can't recommend. Yes you can boot from an
external drive. Yes you can leave the finder etc on a MacOS partition to
boot sometimes

	Paul Campbell
	(posted from my A/UX system)

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P
Remember 1990? that was the year the US government funded a Communist election

ksand@appleoz.oz.au (Kent Sandvik) (03/14/90)

logan@inpnms.UUCP (Jim Logan) writes in article <235@inpnms.UUCP>:
      In article <9023@shlump.nac.dec.com> jnelson@gauche.enet.dec.com

      I have been lurking here for a few days now, and I too would like
      to see more summaries and postings in general.  I am preparing to
      purchase a Mac IIci and A/UX.

      Maybe I can get the ball rolling in this newsgroup with a simple
      question.  Can anyone tell me how painful it is to use disk drives
      and QIC tape drives from other vendors under A/UX?

I have used Northern Telecom and Rodime disks (as well as Apple ones)
without big problems with A/UX. The thing to watch out for is tools for
partitioning A/UX partitions, especially such arcane partitions as the
swap partition. The HD Setup 2.0 creates these for Apple hard disks,
alas not for most TPV drives. You need to use dp from A/UX in order
to hack the partitions, or use a utility such as Silverlining in order
to produce these partitions.

      My local dealer is over-charging me for everything, and I'm not
      confident that he knows what he's doing when in comes to A/UX,
      therefore I'll be buying the IIci and A/UX on tape from him (the
      cheapest place around) and buy the RAM upgrade, 300MB disk, and
      150MB QIC tape drive through mail-order.

Concerning QIC 2000 tape drives, all I have is information about
a company that sells QIC 2000 drives/drivers for A/UX: Irwin systems
from Irwin Magnetics.

      I don't know if the A/UX SCSI driver will support any old big
      SCSI disk I plug in.  Does the format program know how to format
      a disk this large?  Does the SCSI tape driver know how to talk to
      anything besides the Apple 40MB tape drive?  Can I boot from this
      external 300MB drive?  Can I leave the Finder on my 40MB internal
      drive so I can use it sometimes?

There's a special MacOS partition for the bootstrapping of A/UX, and
with a utility such as HD Setup 2.0 you could define the size of this
one (default 2Mb).

/hope this helps
/ksand
--
Kent Sandvik, Network Ninja         --  Apple Australia Developer Tech Support
{uunet,mcvax,enea}!munnari!appleoz.oz!ksand, ksand@appleoz.oz.au (OR ksand@apple.com)