[comp.unix.aux] panic: mget when running X11R4: what gives?

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (03/13/90)

In comp.unix.aux, article <1990Mar11.170219.155@smurf.sub.org>, I wrote:
< Having finally got X11R4 to run (gcc needs fixincludes applied correctly),
< my X11R4 server now runs an average of two minutes before causing an "mget"
< kernel panic.
<
This seems to be related to the "NMBUFS" kernel parameter.
I kconfig'ed it up from 500 to 750 and the problem went away.

The next problem is less funny: Both xload and xcalc behave in a very
interesting, but slightly less than useful, way.
xload looks like this:
+----------------------+
|                      |
|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   |
+----------------------+ and stays that way, with the XX part being totally
black (and the cursor acts as if it were a scroll bar).
xcalc places all its buttons at semi-random locations.
gcc may have a problem here. :-(
<
< Any ideas?
Other than rebuilding all libraries with cc, which is not what I want to do
right now...
--
Matthias Urlichs

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (03/16/90)

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>In comp.unix.aux, article <1990Mar11.170219.155@smurf.sub.org>, I wrote:
>< Having finally got X11R4 to run (gcc needs fixincludes applied correctly),
>< my X11R4 server now runs an average of two minutes before causing an "mget"
>< kernel panic.
><
>This seems to be related to the "NMBUFS" kernel parameter.
>I kconfig'ed it up from 500 to 750 and the problem went away.
Hmm.  Strange.  I'm running right now with NMBUFS=500 and have no problems.
Something weird's going on here...

>The next problem is less funny: Both xload and xcalc behave in a very
>interesting, but slightly less than useful, way.
>xload looks like this:
>+----------------------+
>|                      |
>|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   |
>+----------------------+ and stays that way, with the XX part being totally
>black (and the cursor acts as if it were a scroll bar).
>xcalc places all its buttons at semi-random locations.
I don't see that problem here.  I'm under X11R4 right now, with an xload
sitting happily in the lower right-hand corner just graphing away.  Xcalc
also comes up normally.

>gcc may have a problem here. :-(
Which version of gcc are you using?  I'm using gcc 1.37 (ftp'ed from apple.com)
and have had no problems except with a few clients (xfd, puzzle, xterm in
Tek mode) that coredump unless you define -fwritable-strings (the problem being
sscanf of a string constant where the A/UX stdio lib's ungetc tries to write
on the scanned string).
   Also, which version of A/UX are you using?  I'm using A/UX 1.1.
Are you using 1.0 by any chance?
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp