[comp.unix.aux] Help with A/UX's UUCP!

mike@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Mike Nowak) (03/08/90)

I'm having a terrible time with A/UX's UUCP implementation.  I had it working mostly
but recently it just collapsed.  I realize it's hard to debug these problems remotely
but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Problems:

1.  I had really problems with uucico, uuxqt, and rnews.  uucico would transfer news
batches down with their associated X. files and then occasionally call uuxqt.  rnews
always failed when run by uuxqt this way.  Now, if I ran uuxqt myself, outside of
uucico, wverything would be fine.  So I made a fake uuxqt and I run uuxqt.orig from
cron.  But it doesn't seem right.

2.  Apparently, rmail doesn't strip off the header and make a replyable address for
incoming uucp mail.  Mail from outside the system always comes from uucp.

3.  Most recently, I'm completely unable to get news batches from my feed.  Mail files
come down okay and the first news batch comes down but when it comes to the point
where it sends the associated .X file, it fails with a BAD READ (expected ').  When
I run uucico with -x9 I see several "alerts" and then it fails.  According to my
books, a BAD READ means "uucico could not read/write to a device".  I don't know
which device this could be though.

4.  Does anyone have a working Usenet news "spacefor" for A/UX?  When I tell Configure
(from cnews) that I have a usg system, it make a spacefor but it always reports that
I don't have enough space, even if there are 5 or 10 megs free.

As I send, any help is appreciated, especially via mail to this address.

mike

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (03/09/90)

In article <1990Mar8.020757.6810@terminator.cc.umich.edu> mike@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Mike Nowak) writes:
>I'm having a terrible time with A/UX's UUCP implementation.  I had it working mostly
>but recently it just collapsed.  I realize it's hard to debug these problems remotely
  Hmm.  I don't have that much problem with A/UX's UUCP implementation.  Read
on..

>2.  Apparently, rmail doesn't strip off the header and make a replyable address for
>incoming uucp mail.  Mail from outside the system always comes from uucp.
 Hmm.  Seem to recall this happening to me.  If you're a UUCP-only site,
what you can do is install smail 2.5  and deliver and ditch the Apple mail
software entirely.  That's what I've done, and I have no problems with it.
If you have to handle both UUCP and Internet (SMTP) mail, I don't know what
you do.

>4.  Does anyone have a working Usenet news "spacefor" for A/UX?  When I tell Configure
>(from cnews) that I have a usg system, it make a spacefor but it always reports that
>I don't have enough space, even if there are 5 or 10 megs free.
   Df formats vary appallingly widely among systems.  Here's the version of
spacefor I'm using.
-------------------------clip and save----------------------------------
#! /bin/sh
# spacefor - determine available disk space
# About how many things of $1 bytes will fit in the available space for
# stuff of type $2 ("incoming", "articles", "control", "outbound $3",
# or "archive") without cramping things too badly?
#
# You'll have to change this -- your blocksize, minimum-free-desired amounts,
# and df output format will probably differ, and you may need to name
# your filesystems explicitly.

# =()<. ${NEWSCONFIG-@<NEWSCONFIG>@}>()=
. ${NEWSCONFIG-/usr/lib/news/bin/config}

PATH=$NEWSCTL/bin:$NEWSBIN:$NEWSPATH ; export PATH
umask $NEWSUMASK

# punt to server if necessary
if test -r $NEWSCTL/server
then
	server="`cat $NEWSCTL/server`"
	me="`hostname`"
	if test " $server" != " $me"
	then
		exec rsh $server "PATH=$PATH `basename $0` $*"
		# does not return
	fi
fi

# head off special case
case "$1" in
0)	echo 10000 ; exit 0 ;;
esac

# argument to df, df units, and free space desired (in df units)
dfunit=512			# default unit (bytes)
case "$2" in
incoming)	arg="$NEWSARTS/in.coming" ; desire=100 ;;
articles)	arg="$NEWSARTS" ; desire=2500 ;;
control)	arg="$NEWSCTL" ; desire=1500 ;;
outbound)	arg="/usr/spool/uucp" ; desire=2500 ;;	# ignore $3
archive)	arg="$NEWSARTS" ; desire=1 ;;		# system-specific
*)		echo "$0: bad type argument \`$2'!!" >&2
		exit 2 ;;
esac

# this is set up for the stupid System V df
df $arg | sed "s/.*:/: :/" | awk "BEGIN { nf = 3 ; nr = 1 }
	NR == nr && NF >= nf {
		nb = (\$nf - $desire) * $dfunit / $1
		if (nb > 10000)
			nb = 10000	# ensure representable as integer
		nb = int(nb)
		if (nb <= 0)
			print 0
		else
			print nb
		exit
	}
	NR == nr && NF < nf {		# idiotic Berkeley continuation
		nr += 1
		nf -= 1
	}"

---------------------------clip and save----------------------
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp
Motorola Skates On Intel's Head!

logan@inpnms.UUCP (Jim Logan) (03/11/90)

In article <1990Mar9.055323.2223@servalan.uucp> rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) writes:
# >2.  Apparently, rmail doesn't strip off the header and make a replyable address for
# >incoming uucp mail.  Mail from outside the system always comes from uucp.
#  Hmm.  Seem to recall this happening to me.  If you're a UUCP-only site,
# what you can do is install smail 2.5  and deliver and ditch the Apple mail
# software entirely.  That's what I've done, and I have no problems with it.
# If you have to handle both UUCP and Internet (SMTP) mail, I don't know what
# you do.

You're right about replacing the /bin/rmail program with smail.
I had to do this on a Xenix machine last year.

I also ported sendmail to that machine.   Sendmail can be set up
to put UUCP mail through the smail program (and eventually into
the UUCP queue) and ethernet mail out on the ethernet using SMTP.

The source code is available from UUNET.  I'll bet there is
someone out there who has already taken the time to port sendmail
to A/UX .  If not, I might be doing it when I get my IIci
sometime this month.

			-Jim
--
James Logan                       UUCP: uunet!inpnms!logan
Data General Telecommunications   Inet: logan%inpnms@uunet.uu.net

ksand@appleoz.oz.au (Kent Sandvik) (03/14/90)

logan@inpnms.UUCP (Jim Logan) writes in article <237@inpnms.UUCP>:

      The source code is available from UUNET.  I'll bet there is
      someone out there who has already taken the time to port sendmail
      to A/UX .  If not, I might be doing it when I get my IIci
      sometime this month.

Sorry boys, but sendmail has always been in the A/UX system, latest
release (1.1.) had sendmail 5.61 if I remember right.

/ksand

--
Kent Sandvik, Network Ninja         --  Apple Australia Developer Tech Support
{uunet,mcvax,enea}!munnari!appleoz.oz!ksand, ksand@appleoz.oz.au (OR ksand@apple.com)

coolidge@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (03/17/90)

ksand@appleoz.oz.au (Kent Sandvik) writes:
>logan@inpnms.UUCP (Jim Logan) writes in article <237@inpnms.UUCP>:
>>      The source code is available from UUNET.  I'll bet there is
>>      someone out there who has already taken the time to port sendmail
>>      to A/UX .  If not, I might be doing it when I get my IIci
>>      sometime this month.

>Sorry boys, but sendmail has always been in the A/UX system, latest
>release (1.1.) had sendmail 5.61 if I remember right.

The 1.1 we have came with 5.59. Unfortunately, it has the (very annoying!)
habit of coredumping all the time. Certainly easily generated mail messages
cause it to die horribly. Thus, I ported 5.61, which was just a matter of
compiling the sources --- except for one workaround to avoid an apparent
bug in sprintf.

I've been meaning to port the IDA-enhanced sendmail, but it's still on the
back burner.

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1990 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.