[comp.unix.aux] 3rd party tape drives and "tc" driver

rick@Apple.COM (Rick Auricchio) (03/17/90)

Well, here's my two cents.  (I often skim this newsgroup but virtually never
find anything interesting, or that I'm qualified to answer.)

Y'all can give me the credit/blame for the tc driver.  Yes, the Apple drive
is a "stringy disk", so the driver does oddball stuff to make it *look* like
a straight 9-track device, which un*x is generally used to handling. This
includes simulated filemarks.

The source for the driver is available in Apple's "Driver Kit" or whatever
it's really called.  As far as I know, it's available to developers thru the
direct support channels (and maybe thru APDA, which is an Apple department
that distributes this kinda stuff).  I don't know the legal issues on
redistribution, but I *think* third parties are allowed to hack the sample
driver(s) and do what they want.  But don't quote me on this.

Also included in the kit is a portion of kernel source (especially all the
I/O stuff), and a bunch of binary files (the stuff owned by AT&T). Of course,
you can't hack "built-in" kernel drivers and redistribute a new *kernel*,
because AT&T won't like that.  But you can distribute *configurable* drivers.

Okay, now back to tc.  How can I say this with relative safety?  We're not
allowed to comment on unannounced products.

Hypothetically speaking, mind you, I might have added some model-dependent
tables and routines to tc to allow somewhat easy addition of new drive types.
All hypothetical, of course.  I wouldn't want to leak any info.

As for supporting an Archive drive, here are a few ideas/opinions.  I'd make it
require an 8K-byte blocking factor from the user, exactly like the Apple
drive, for user convenience.  Avoid confusion about blocksizes and such, and
make it work identically (except for speed/capacity).  Besides, an Archive
won't stream if you try to write smaller than 4K anyway.  I'd add the ioctl
for retensioning, just for completeness.  And I'd fix a couple of bugs in the
existing tc driver along the way.

Cheers!
Rick Auricchio, Apple Computer Inc, 20525 Mariani Av MS 58A Cupertino CA 95014
sun!apple!rick   OR   rick@apple.COM     Mooney N894AR     (408) 974-4227
		Never eat prunes when you're famished.
My opinion is my own. My employer? They use a windsock and a fire extinguisher.

steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) (03/17/90)

In article <39534@apple.Apple.COM> rick@Apple.COM (Rick Auricchio) writes:
>The source for the driver is available in Apple's "Driver Kit" or whatever
>it's really called.  As far as I know, it's available to developers thru the
>direct support channels (and maybe thru APDA, which is an Apple department

right, price is approx $100.

>that distributes this kinda stuff).  I don't know the legal issues on
>redistribution, but I *think* third parties are allowed to hack the sample
>driver(s) and do what they want.  But don't quote me on this.

According to the license that comes with it you can't even
copy it to your hard disk.  Go figure.

>Also included in the kit is a portion of kernel source (especially all the
>I/O stuff), and a bunch of binary files (the stuff owned by AT&T). Of course,

Uhm, there wasn't much source beyond the apple device drivers.

Worse yet, it didn't have the driver I needed, the one that
doesn't work for the AST/Orange micro serial abortion card.

> But you can distribute *configurable* drivers.

Actually the license doesn't say you can do that, at least not
if your driver is derived from anything in the package.

They really need to straighten out the mumbo-jumbo if they
expect it to be taken seriously.

--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services      (713) 964-2462
"You have no scars on your face, and you cannot handle pressure." - Billy Joel