[comp.unix.aux] File Table

bill@mousetrap.canton.mi.us (William S. Johnston) (03/17/90)

I have been getting a few "file: table is full" error when the system that feeds me
USENET news calls.  Normally I am running term with 4 windows open.  Each running
various file related applications.

Question: Is there a way to reconfigure the kernal to allow for more files in the
file table.  This is a real problem for I really need to run those programs and
a couple of them need to run 24 hours per day.

Thanks and anxiously awaiting a reply......

Bill

--
Wayne State University | bill@mousetrap.canton.mi.us  |   (snail mail)   | Mac
Electrical Engineering |  bill@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us    |   P.O. Box 5364  | HP48

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (03/19/90)

In article <1990Mar17.044537.4082@mousetrap.canton.mi.us>
bill@mousetrap.canton.mi.us (William S. Johnston) writes:
>Question: Is there a way to reconfigure the kernal to allow for
>more files in the file table?

Yes, you use the kconfig utility to change the size of the file
table. Lots of this sort of thing are adjustable under A/UX
using kconfig - type "kconfig -va" to see the full list.

Specifically, to set the file table size to 300 (for example),
type

        kconfig -n /unix
        NFILE = 300
        ^D

You can also use += or -= to adjust the current value rather
than just replacing it.

This may not cure your problem however: if the problem is
per-process file table sizes then that isn't adjustable
(software which has only ever run on Suns may assume that you
can open 40+ files in a single process).

You should also check carefully to find out if your news feed
is ignoring attempts to limit it to a sensible number of
concurrent delivery attempts: if it wants to give you your
daily 8 megabytes as N thousand simultaneous transfers then
you'll have problems anyway!

--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP