[net.followup] S.A., Soviets, & Sanctions

apak@oddjob.UUCP (apak) (08/21/86)

In article <4360@gatech.CSNET> jeff@gatech.UUCP (Jeff Lee) writes:
> In article <1446@oddjob.UUCP> apak@oddjob (apak) writes:
>>                 There are many variables which affect the morality of
>>sanctions, of which the repugnance of the relevant government is only
>>one. The Soviet government is not going to be brought down by economic
>>or military force, and it would be both dangerous and counter-productive
>>to try. The South African government is going to be overthrown; the only
>>questions are when? and at what human cost? If you believe, as I do, that
>>the participation of the West in removing the present system will make it
>>happen quicker and with less suffering, then you should support economic
>>and military action to that end.
>violations of human rights. If we are going to be idealistic, then let's
>go all the way. If we are going to be laissez faire, then let's leave
>people alone. Let's stop landing rights, no selling of grain, no
>purchasing of vodka, wine, or gold, etc...
>The previous article seems to suggest, though, that we should modify
>our enthusiasm by doing this only to
>	1) Countries that are weaker than we are, thus eliminating
>	   any possibility of successful retaliation;
>	2) Countries that are already in bad shape (hit them while
>	   they're down).
>In these cases, it is "morally" right to support economic and militaristic
>action to force these countries to do our bidding.

Wrong. I suggest we should impose economic sanctions only on countries that:
(1) have governments which are immoral and which are perceived to be immoral
by a majority of their population.
(2) are likely to be affected for the better by such action.

I don't understand (or hope I don't) your lament about how unfair this would
be on the poor South African government, which you somehow confuse with the
country. Nor do I see why it's inconsistent to support particular remedies
against tyranny when and only when they're effective. The Soviet Union will
have to be dealt with, as best we can, by other means. Sanctions won't be
widely supported in the world, and wouldn't change the system for the better
if they were.

>This is as cowardly a policy as I
>have seen in a long time. At least be consistent in your idealism.
>I have much more respect for someone that believes in an idea and takes
>it to its logical conclusion despite the fact it will make them
>"uncomfortable" than someone who does it only when it can't hurt them
>or it's convenient.

The idea is clear and consistent. Fight tyranny as best you can. The sensible
means depend on the situation. Lobbing grenades at invading troops may be
useful; lobbing grenades at aircraft on bombing runs probably isn't. Agreed?

--
                                ihnp4!oddjob!apak
                                oddjob!apak@UChicago.bitnet
This is not a pipe              apak%uk.ac.cambridge.phoenix@ucl-cs.arpa

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (08/25/86)

> >In these cases, it is "morally" right to support economic and militaristic
> >action to force these countries to do our bidding.
>
> Wrong. I suggest we should impose economic sanctions only on countries that:
> (1) have governments which are immoral and which are perceived to be immoral
> by a majority of their population.

So you wouldn't argue for sanctions against a country like Nazi Germany.

> (2) are likely to be affected for the better by such action.

"...likely to be affected for the better by such action" is a pretty
vague statement.  Can you see why a lot of people could argue that
sanctions against South Africa might not fit this definition?  Can
you see why a lot of people aren't sure what you are trying to
achieve.

> I don't understand (or hope I don't) your lament about how unfair this would
> be on the poor South African government, which you somehow confuse with the
> country.

Sanctions affect the population first -- the government last.  Economic
hardships ALWAYS fall on the people hardest, and usually the poorest
people.  The South African government will just raise taxes if it finds
itself in need of more money.

> Nor do I see why it's inconsistent to support particular remedies
> against tyranny when and only when they're effective. The Soviet Union will

Just don't argue for sanctions on a "moral" basis -- argue for them
pragmatically.  (Of course, you can't generate the same level of self-
righteous anger that way.)

> have to be dealt with, as best we can, by other means. Sanctions won't be
> widely supported in the world, and wouldn't change the system for the better
> if they were.

If there was the same amount of energy being spent by the Left to promote
hostility to the Soviet Union that is currently being spent on South
Africa, sanctions WOULD be widely supported in the world.  Of course,
the Left wouldn't be allowed by their masters in Moscow to start such
a campaign.

Clayton E. Cramer

cda@entropy.berkeley.edu (08/28/86)

In article <1023@kontron.UUCP> cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:

>If there was the same amount of energy being spent by the Left to promote
>hostility to the Soviet Union that is currently being spent on South
>Africa, sanctions WOULD be widely supported in the world.  Of course,
>the Left wouldn't be allowed by their masters in Moscow to start such
>a campaign.
>
>Clayton E. Cramer

Hey, I've been a Leftist for years and my Masters in Moscow are way behind
in their payments so I just don't care anymore what they want me to do....
I'd go out and promote hostility to the Soviet Union except for the fact
that it takes all my energy to deal with the government I've got at home.

charlotte allen

jimr@hcrvx2.UUCP (Jim Robinson) (09/03/86)

[I followed up in net.followup because we don't get net.politics]
> Wrong. I suggest we should impose economic sanctions only on countries that:
> (1) have governments which are immoral and which are perceived to be immoral
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> by a majority of their population.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In a country in which access to outside information is denied and
the only source of news is a state controlled media  it is quite
possible for the citizenry to live in the most abominable of conditions,
yet believe that they have it good compared to others elsewhere, or that
their sacrifices are required in order to "sustain the revolution".
At the risk of being somewhat unoriginal - "ignorance is bliss".

J.B. Robinson

PS Would one of those who believes that political freedom (including free
   elections) is any less important than other human rights please
   explain this position?

mike@erix.UUCP (Mike Williams) (09/09/86)

In article <2382@hcrvx2.UUCP> jimr@hcrvx2.UUCP (Jim Robinson) writes:
>PS Would one of those who believes that political freedom (including free
>   elections) is any less important than other human rights please
>   explain this position?
Free elections yes. Many countries have them. Even in the USSR they
have free elections. The choice of candidates is however somewhat limited
but everyone can vote. Democratic elections are another matter. Most
western countries claim to have democratic elections (at least they are
more democractic than the so called elections in the east). All countries
with the Anglo Saxon version of elections (including the USA, Britain etc)
can hardly be called fully democratic. Look at the turn out at the polls! How
is it that Britain has a Conservative majority when the actual majority of the
voters voted for other parties? Only countries with some form of proportional
representation can  claim to be democratic. (By proportional representation
I mean a system where the number of seats allocated to each political party
is in direct proportion to the total number of votes cast for that party).
But then even proportional representation has its problems. It is hard for
voters to eliminate undesirable individuals.

I don't think one should be so niave to assume that ANY country has complete
political freedom (even if one could define what political freedom is). The
only thing one can say is that we have more such freedom in the west that
they have in the east. Given this perspective I value other freedoms like
free speech, freedom to travel a free press much more highly.

Mike Williams

jimr@hcrvx2.UUCP (Jim Robinson) (09/14/86)

In article <1158@erix.UUCP> mike@erix.UUCP (Mike Williams) writes:
>In article <2382@hcrvx2.UUCP> jimr@hcrvx2.UUCP (Jim Robinson) writes:
>>PS Would one of those who believes that political freedom (including free
>>   elections) is any less important than other human rights please
>>   explain this position?
>I don't think one should be so niave to assume that ANY country has complete
>political freedom (even if one could define what political freedom is). The
>only thing one can say is that we have more such freedom in the west that
>they have in the east. Given this perspective I value other freedoms like
>free speech, freedom to travel a free press much more highly.

But there is an interesting point that is being missed. Namely, that *in
practice* the best means of guaranteeing such freedoms as free speech
is to be able to kick out out of office the government that would take
that freedom away. If we look at those countries that do not have
free speech, freedom to travel, or a free press we find one glaring
common denominator - there is no means of holding the ruling government
accountable by way of elections. These governments may do what they
desire secure in the knowledge that the citizenry has no recourse.
I would thus submit that those freedoms that Mike values above
political freedom will in practice only exist if said political freedom
(in the form of the people being able to change governments) exists.
It is no accident that the west which  Mike admits has more political
freedom than the east also has more of the other previously  mentioned
freedoms.

As for proportional representation - the impression I get is that leads
to there being a thousand and one different parties being represented
in Parliament which leads to *unstable* coalition governments. Just
my impression which could very well be incorrect.

J.B. Robinson

david@ztivax.UUCP (09/19/86)

>As for proportional representation - the impression I get is that leads
>to there being a thousand and one different parties being represented
>in Parliament which leads to *unstable* coalition governments. Just
>my impression which could very well be incorrect.
>
>J.B. Robinson

In reality, isn't any political party some form of coalition?  You
will certainly find dissent within the ranks of Democrats within any
of the elected bodies.  Also within the Republicans.

The good thing about having a large number of parties, which may have
to assemble coalitions to get anything passed, is that the parties can
each speak their own ideas during the election process.  Therefore,
the people can really understand why they are voting for one crook
(oops, I mean politician) rather than another.

Within the two major political parties in the USA, the candidates
really must toe the party line.  Even during the Presidential campaign, the
platform is developed by the power brokers in the party.  Since the
candidate is not really saying what he believes, but only what it takes
to get elected within his/her party, they are very unlikely to follow
the campaign promises.

Also, the stress is virtually always on "I'm a good Republican,
he/she/it is a grotty Democrat" or vice versa.  This tends to attract
the ignorant and the bigotted to stay with one party, and therefore
the power of the _party_ is more firmly established.  But the
representaion of the people is drastically eroded.

The Israeli government seems rather stable, especially when taken in
the context of a country which has been literally fighting for
existatnce for 40 years.  The Rhodesian government had more or less
the same war-like problems as Israel, but they lasted only about 20
years.  Rhodesia had two major parties, Israel has a large number (not
quite 1001, but close).

So, I dunno.  I figure the most stable government is one where
everyone feels represented, fairly.  When this is not the case,
terrorism starts, and revolution is close behind.

I feel one of the major reasons that the USA tends to be a terrorist
target overseas and not within the USA is as above.  The way Washington
deals with foreign people and governments is repressive.  Within the
USA, they pretend to be democratic.

Keep Thinking!
David Smyth

uucp: