[comp.unix.aux] A/UX 2.0 press release

MOVED OVER BUSINESS WIRE AT 8:33 AM, EST,
MONDAY, MARCH 19, 1990

Contact:

Cindy McCaffrey
Apple Computer, Inc.
(408) 974-1578

Apple Announces A/UX 2.0:
A New Macintosh Implementation of UNIX

SAN JOSE, California--March 19, 1990--Apple Computer, Inc. today introduced a
ground-breaking new version of its implementation of the UNIX  operating
system:  A/UX  version 2.0.  A/UX 2.0 further extends the benefits of Macintosh
computers to people who work with UNIX.  A/UX 2.0 retains the features of
previous versions of A/UX--full UNIX standards-compliance and the ability to
run Macintosh applications--and adds three major new features:  the Macintosh
graphics-based desktop; the ability to run simultaneously multiple UNIX, X
Window System and Macintosh applications; and UNIX functionality in an
easy-to-use manner.

"A/UX 2.0 is an exciting extension of Apple's overall Macintosh strategy," said
Randy Battat, vice president of Apple Worldwide Product Marketing.  "For the
first time, people who require UNIX have full access to the benefits of
Macintosh.  By integrating the power of Macintosh with UNIX, we believe A/UX
2.0 will, in fact, revolutionize personal computing for these customers."

As with previous versions, A/UX 2.0 is based on AT&T V.2.2; runs the large
family of Macintosh applications; and complies with all major UNIX standards,
including:  IEEE POSIX 1003.1-1988 FUS, AT&T System V Interface Definition
(SVID), ISO 9945-1, and FIPS #151-1.  A/UX also meets customer-demanded
standards such as NFS 3.2, BSD 4.3 Extensions and the X Window System.

More important, A/UX 2.0 offers a number of new features which fall into the
three following categories:
- The Macintosh desktop:  All the elements of the distinctive Macintosh
desktop--point-and-click-simplicity, menu bars and familiar icons--have been
incorporated into A/UX 2.0.  And A/UX 2.0 provides this desktop on an
industry-standard UNIX platform.   A/UX 2.0 also supports MultiFinder, 32-Bit
QuickDraw, and the Macintosh startup and shutdown process.

The Macintosh desktop on A/UX 2.0 effectively shelters users from the sometimes
arcane command-line interface of traditional UNIX.  As a result, Apple believes
this new feature of A/UX 2.0 will make UNIX much more accessible to mainstream
users, while providing the rich UNIX environment expected by technical users.

- Multiple applications from different environments:  Users can run many UNIX,
X Window System and Macintosh applications under A/UX 2.0 at the same time.
This means that users can have any number of these applications processing
simultaneously on the desktop.  Additionally, A/UX 2.0 supports text
cut-and-paste between all these environments, plus graphics cut-and-paste
between Macintosh applications.

This capability to effectively mix and match applications from these three
environments provides users with a powerful, unified computing platform.  The
integration of powerful Macintosh applications onto a standard UNIX base is
unmatched in the computer industry.

- UNIX functionality that's easy to use:  A/UX 2.0 integrates the benefits of
both Macintosh and UNIX environments into one system.  Not only do users have
access to Macintosh and UNIX applications, but A/UX 2.0 also brings the methods
of Macintosh personal computing to many traditional UNIX functions.  For
example,  'Commando' is a new feature that allows users to run UNIX commands by
selecting options from a menu--without memorizing the string of complicated
parameters associated with these utilities.  A/UX 2.0 includes a new Macintosh
text editor for UNIX text files.  It also provides seamless point-and- click
access to both UNIX and Macintosh file systems.  A/UX 2.0 also gives customers
the choice of using UNIX in the traditional UNIX manner--all within windows on
the desktop.

Additionally, a new version of X Window System for A/UX permits people to use
the X Window System in the traditional manner and also to run X Window System
applications within windows on a Macintosh desktop.

By combining the power of Macintosh and UNIX on a single system, A/UX 2.0
provides users with an extremely flexible computing environment.  Users can
employ Macintosh techniques for traditional UNIX activities or they can work in
the UNIX environment.  All the while, users have access to the power and
functionality of Macintosh applications.

Notably,  the complete A/UX 2.0 package--off-the-shelf Macintosh applications,
A/UX, Macintosh hardware, and support--is available through A/UX-authorized
Apple resellers.

A/UX 2.0 runs on the following:  Macintosh SE/30, Macintosh II (with PMMU
installed), Macintosh IIx, Macintosh IIcx, Macintosh IIci and Macintosh IIfx.
The Macintosh IIfx is an especially powerful A/UX platform, as A/UX 2.0 takes
full advantage of the system's SCSI/DMA and input/output processor
capabilities.  A minimum of 4MB of memory is recommended for all platforms.

Configurations
The following AU/X 2.0 media configurations will be available in mid-1990 from
all authorized A/UX resellers:  (configurations may vary outside the U.S.)
-   A/UX 2.0 on Apple CD-ROM disk
-   A/UX 2.0 on 800K floppy disks
-   A/UX 2.0 on a 40MB Apple Tape Cartridge
-   Preinstalled on Macintosh IIci 4MB/80MB internal hard drive version
-   Preinstalled on Macintosh IIcx 4MB/80MB internal hard drive version
-   Preinstalled on Macintosh IIfx 4MB/80MB internal hard drive version
-   Preinstalled on a Macintosh 80MB external hard disk

X Window System for A/UX, version 2  will also be available through all
A/UX-authorized Apple resellers.

Pricing will be announced at a later date.

Current A/UX users can upgrade to A/UX 2.0 capabilities through a software
update subscription service or by purchasing A/UX 2.0 update products on
CD-ROM, diskettes or tape.  Every A/UX product includes Macintosh-style
installation and user manuals.  The X Window System for A/UXJ2.0, and Manual
Kits for UNIX users, Administrators and Programmers are available
separately.

-30-

Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh and MultiFinder are registered trademarks;
QuickDraw is a  trademark of Apple Computer, Inc.  UNIX is a registered
trademark of AT&T.  All prices are manufacturer's suggested U.S. retail price.

END

Apple Press Releases
PR Express

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

All spirits are enslaved which serve things evil -- Shelley

ahl@saussure.technix.oz.au (Tony Landells) (03/21/90)

In article <39646@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

   Configurations
   The following AU/X 2.0 media configurations will be available in mid-1990 from
   all authorized A/UX resellers:  (configurations may vary outside the U.S.)
   -   A/UX 2.0 on Apple CD-ROM disk
   -   A/UX 2.0 on 800K floppy disks
   -   A/UX 2.0 on a 40MB Apple Tape Cartridge
   -   Preinstalled on Macintosh IIci 4MB/80MB internal hard drive version
   -   Preinstalled on Macintosh IIcx 4MB/80MB internal hard drive version
   -   Preinstalled on Macintosh IIfx 4MB/80MB internal hard drive version
   -   Preinstalled on a Macintosh 80MB external hard disk

What I want to know is whether getting the CD-ROM allows it to be run
on a smaller disk (i.e., whether you can use the CD-ROM itself for all
the read-only stuff - applications and so forth), or whether it all
needs to be moved onto a hard disk and run from there...

ahl@saussure.technix.oz.au (Tony Landells) writes:

>What I want to know is whether getting the CD-ROM allows it to be run
>on a smaller disk (i.e., whether you can use the CD-ROM itself for all
>the read-only stuff - applications and so forth), or whether it all
>needs to be moved onto a hard disk and run from there...

You can mount the CD-ROM onto an A/UX, so yes, you can use things like
/usr/man from there.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

All spirits are enslaved which serve things evil -- Shelley

tody@noao.edu (Doug Tody X217) (03/22/90)

Can anyone shed some light on how the new shared library facility in A/UX
2.0 is implemented?  Does this imply a general file mapping facility, with
copy on modify and so on?  Are compilers that can generate position
independent code needed to make use of the shared libraries?  Can the
linker link a process with the base of the text segment located at an
arbitrary user specified address?  If this is a general shared library
facility that is quite a plus for A/UX, as some of the big workstation
vendors do not even have this yet.

--
Doug Tody, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson AZ, 602-325-9217
UUCP: {arizona,decvax,ncar}!noao!tody  or  uunet!noao.edu!tody

dwb@sticks.apple.com (David Berry) (03/23/90)

In article <1990Mar22.060011.5972@noao.edu> tody@noao.edu (Doug Tody X217) writes:
>Can anyone shed some light on how the new shared library facility in A/UX
>2.0 is implemented?  Does this imply a general file mapping facility, with
>copy on modify and so on?  Are compilers that can generate position
>independent code needed to make use of the shared libraries?  Can the
>linker link a process with the base of the text segment located at an
>arbitrary user specified address?  If this is a general shared library
>facility that is quite a plus for A/UX, as some of the big workstation
>vendors do not even have this yet.

	I'm going to do my best to answer these questions, but I may
not get them all absolutely correct, I've had relatively little to do
with the actual implementation.

	The A/UX Shared Library facility allows you to create dynamically
loaded, but statically linked, shared libraries.  The libraries are bound
at a fixed address and a jump table is bound into the caller.  At load time
the appropriate libraries are matched up with the binary and loaded via the
normal demand page scheme.

	The normal compiler suite plus a new tool, included with the release,
are used to create shared libraries.  Any compiler should work, as all the
work is done by the linker.
	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
	dwb@apple.com

ianh@merlin.bhpmrl.oz (Ian Hoyle) (03/26/90)

From article <18041@trlsasb.trl.oz>, by sutherland@trlsasb.trl.oz (Scott Sutherland):

> Do we have any "A/UX-authorised Apple resellers" in Australia?  Last time
> I looked the response was "go directly to Apple, do not pass GO...."

in Melbourne I think it's Random Acccess and Logical Solutions. We currently
have 4 A/UX machines (IIci's, although soon we may add a IIfx :-) and RA has
been able to support us quite well.

I guess it also helps that Kent 'network ninja' Sandvik contributes to
this group as often as he does .....

			ian
--

                Ian Hoyle