[comp.unix.aux] How to make mail batch uucp requests?

jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway Jr.) (03/23/90)

Now that I have uucp and mail working on my A/UX system there remains
(at least) one more problem.  Namely that whenever I finish a mail
(actually mailx) session it immediately sticks in a uucp request and
dials the phone etc.  What I want is to have it just leave the requests
around and have cron fire up uucico every N hours to poll my feed (fernwood).
To allow the cron started uucico to work anytime I need an ANY on the L.sys
line, but that allows mail to execute immediately as well.  There must be
a solution.  (I'll likely have the same problem with postnews etc when I
get news setup).  Whats the answer?  (please e-mail (in addition to or
instead of posting) since I do not read all of these groups)  thanks!
	-jrg
--
internet   jrg@apple.com      John R. Galloway, Jr.
applelink  d3413              CEO..receptionist

These are my views, NOT Apple's, I am a GUEST here, not an employee!!

fair@Apple.COM (Erik E. Fair) (03/27/90)

In your sendmail.cf file, in the mailer definition for UUCP, there is
a uux command line. Add the "-r" option; this tells uux to just queue
the request, and not call uucico.

	Erik E. Fair	apple!fair	fair@apple.com

jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway Jr.) (03/27/90)

In article <39749@apple.Apple.COM>, jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway Jr.) writes:
> much verbage about how to get mail to queue rahter than execute uucp stuff
> right away.

Thanks to all those that responded "stick a  -r in the uux command in
sendmail.cf".  Indeed that's it, here's what to change:

as root chnage the following 2 lines in /usr/lib/sendmail.m4
from:
Muucp,  P=/usr/bin/uux, F=msDFMhuUH, S=13, R=23,
        A=uux - $h!rmail ($u)
into:
Muucp,  P=/usr/bin/uux, F=msDFMhuUH, S=13, R=23,
        A=uux - -r $h!rmail ($u)
then do:
	cd /usr/lib
	m4 sendmail.m4 >sendmail.cf
and restart sendmail or just reboot.  M4 passes the two lines unaltered
into sendmail.cf, but its best to modify the "source" so later chnages won't
undo what you've done.
	-jrg
--
internet   jrg@apple.com      John R. Galloway, Jr.
applelink  d3413              CEO..receptionist         795 Beaver Creek Way

These are my views, NOT Apple's, I am a GUEST here, not an employee!!