[comp.unix.aux] AppleShare/AppleShare PrintServer on A/UX 2.0

rob@uokmax.uucp (Bolo) (04/12/90)

Here's a strange request:
Does anyone know if it will be possible to use AppleShare or the AppleShare
PrintServer under A/UX 2.0? We would like to do disk/printer serving, and
would prefer to have the machine running under A/UX, so that we can also
use the Berkeley line printer software to spool from our Unix boxes.

Has anyone tried to compile the cap software without the cap libraries
(just use the built-in AppleTalk software)?
aufs and lwsrv work pretty well, but we would prefer not to bounce
everything through a FastPath.
	Thanks,
	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu				chinet!uokmax!rob

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (04/12/90)

In article <1990Apr11.220147.24421@uokmax.uucp> rob@uokmax.uucp (Bolo) writes:
>Here's a strange request:
>Does anyone know if it will be possible to use AppleShare or the AppleShare
>PrintServer under A/UX 2.0? We would like to do disk/printer serving, and
>would prefer to have the machine running under A/UX, so that we can also
>use the Berkeley line printer software to spool from our Unix boxes.

AppleShare Client works, but no-one seems to know of any plans
for AppleShare server support.

>Has anyone tried to compile the cap software without the cap libraries
>(just use the built-in AppleTalk software)?
>aufs and lwsrv work pretty well, but we would prefer not to bounce
>everything through a FastPath.

I have 100 students writing up their final year projects using
MS-Word under A/UX 1.1.1, and no LocalTalk in sight.... getting
the CAP lwsrv to run under A/UX is a priority task which I am
currently working on. So far I've spliced in DDP instead of the
KIP stuff, but I need to make a number of changes to the CAP
NBP code (and possibly elsewhere) before it will work.

What I really wanted to do was run EtherTalk on the A/UX
loopback interface, talking to a local lwsrv process which
feeds into the BSD spooler we ported (or the one supplied with
A/UX 2.0, when 2.0 ships). The "AppleTalk for A?UX" stuff
doesn't support this on the loopback interface, so it will have
to be done with the real Ethernet. If I get it working OK, next
trick is to use Apple Single format instead of the present AUFS
scheme for storing files.

The main snag as far as I am concerned is that "AppleTalk for
A.UX" is AppleTalk Phase 2 and so won't talk to our existing
gateways.
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP

johnston@Apple.COM (Ron Johnston) (04/12/90)

In article <1990Apr11.220147.24421@uokmax.uucp> rob@uokmax.uucp (Bolo) writes:
>Does anyone know if it will be possible to use AppleShare or the AppleShare
>PrintServer under A/UX 2.0? We would like to do disk/printer serving, and
>would prefer to have the machine running under A/UX, so that we can also
>use the Berkeley line printer software to spool from our Unix boxes.

A/UX 2.0 includes AppleShare CLIENT ONLY - allowing use of served HFS
volumes.  We haven't implemented an A/UX version of AppleShare server or
PrintServer yet, so you'll have to wait a while for them . . .

/Ron Johnston