[comp.unix.aux] 1.1.1 -> 2.0 ONE MORE TIME...

stuart@cbnewsc.att.com (S. D. Ericson) (05/26/90)

In article <41083@apple.Apple.COM>, lantz@Apple.COM (Bob Lantz) writes:
> (Just in case you missed it, here's the latest info on A/UX 2.0)
[ description of 2.0 ]
> - A/UX 2.0 External 80MB Hard Disk:                $2,395
> - A/UX 2.0 CD-ROM:                                   $795
> - A/UX 2.0 Floppy Disk Product:                      $995
> -  A/UX 2.0 Tape Product:                             $995
Can someone explain to me why the tape version is SO expensive?  I can
understand that 100 or so floppies can easily cost over $100, but two
tapes can't be more than $50!  Is there something about the
CD-ROM that I don't know?  CD-ROM's *DO* have a media cost,
after all.

I just don't get it.

Stuart

--
Stuart Ericson                  AT&T Bell Laboratories
USEnet: att!ihlpa!stuart        IH 1C215

jeffn@nuchat.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) (05/27/90)

In article <1990May25.193223.15478@cbnewsc.att.com> stuart@cbnewsc.att.com (S. D. Ericson) writes:

>> -  A/UX 2.0 Tape Product:                             $995

>Can someone explain to me why the tape version is SO expensive?  I can
>understand that 100 or so floppies can easily cost over $100, but two
>tapes can't be more than $50!  Is there something about the
>CD-ROM that I don't know?  CD-ROM's *DO* have a media cost,
>after all.
>
>I just don't get it.

Apple is really pushing the CD-ROM drive.  By discounting the prices
of the CD products, they are encouraging people to buy the drive.  Besides,
CDs are VERY CHEAP to duplicate and the mastering cost is pretty cheap too.
I imagine it is a lot more trouble to duplicate a DC2000 tape.

These tapes, BTW, cost around $12 in large quantities.

Jeff

--
Jefferson Eric Noxon            | In front of every silver lining is a dark
jeffn%nuchat.uucp@uhnix1.uh.edu | cloud.

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (05/28/90)

In comp.unix.aux, article <1990May25.193223.15478@cbnewsc.att.com>,
  stuart@cbnewsc.att.com (S. D. Ericson) writes:
< In article <41083@apple.Apple.COM>, lantz@Apple.COM (Bob Lantz) writes:
< > (Just in case you missed it, here's the latest info on A/UX 2.0)
< [ description of 2.0 ]
< > - A/UX 2.0 External 80MB Hard Disk:                $2,395
< > - A/UX 2.0 CD-ROM:                                   $795
< > - A/UX 2.0 Floppy Disk Product:                      $995
< > -  A/UX 2.0 Tape Product:                             $995
< ....
< Can someone explain to me why the tape version is SO expensive?  I can
< understand that 100 or so floppies can easily cost over $100, but two
< tapes can't be more than $50!  Is there something about the
< CD-ROM that I don't know?  CD-ROM's *DO* have a media cost,
< after all.
<
The media cost of a CD-ROM is on the order of $2.
The cost of 100 floppies is on the order of $80.
A tape cartridge (I suspect A/UX needs two) is $20 or lower.

To duplicate something to 100 floppies you need X minutes (depends on how
heavy-duty your disk duplicating machine is). You also need larger packing and
someone has to make sure that these floppies are all present.
To duplicate to a DC2000, and especially Apple's slow version of same, you
need half an hour while a Mac or similar is sitting there and writing to the
tape.  Then it's gotta be verified. Besides, a DC2000 tape has to be formatted
first, which takes 40 more minutes.
With a CD-ROM you have a one-time mastering cost on the order of $1500 and
that's it.
A normal 80 MB hard disk costs $800 except for the fact that painting it with
an apple-shaped rainbow (and they don't even get the colors right) costs
another $800. Or so it seems.

< I just don't get it.
Still not? ;-)
--