[comp.unix.aux] Mac OS Viruses under A/UX 2.0

davism@creatures.cs.vt.edu (Mat Davis) (05/30/90)

In the fall, we plan to put A/UX 2.0 on ten lab machines and we'd like to
allow users to run the Mac environment if they like.  Has anyone experimented
with viruses under 2.0?  I'm hoping that if we set the machines up correctly
A/UX will be able to prevent a virus from infecting them, but I don't have
copies of any viruses to try.

It seems as if the normal Unix protections should stop the viruses, but the
Mac Toolbox appears to have at least *some* special privileges (such as being
exempt from the "10% free" limit on ufs filesystems) and that leads me to
wonder if that would weaken the protections.

As a last resort, we *could* create a new, clean system folder each time the
'guest' user logs in, but that will slow the login process considerably.

	Mat

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (05/31/90)

In article <402@creatures.cs.vt.edu>, davism@creatures.cs.vt.edu (Mat Davis)
writes:
> As a last resort, we *could* create a new, clean system folder each time the
> 'guest' user logs in, but that will slow the login process considerably.

You could do it when the previous person logs off, which would move the time
consumed to the relatively "invisible" period between users...

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

davism@creatures.cs.vt.edu (Mat Davis) (05/31/90)

In article <26640B70.A8A@intercon.com> amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>In article <402@creatures.cs.vt.edu>, davism@creatures.cs.vt.edu (Mat Davis)
>writes:
>> As a last resort, we *could* create a new, clean system folder each time the
>> 'guest' user logs in, but that will slow the login process considerably.
>
>You could do it when the previous person logs off, which would move the time
>consumed to the relatively "invisible" period between users...

The problem with cleaning out /users/guest when someone logs off is that
people occasionally forget to copy files to diskette before logging out.
By only deleting the files when 'guest' logs in, an operator can log in and
save files if someone realizes that they have just logged out without saving
them.

jk@Apple.COM (John Kullmann) (05/31/90)

In article <402@creatures.cs.vt.edu> davism@vtopus.cs.vt.edu (Mat Davis) writes:
>In the fall, we plan to put A/UX 2.0 on ten lab machines and we'd like to
>allow users to run the Mac environment if they like.  Has anyone experimented
>with viruses under 2.0?  I'm hoping that if we set the machines up correctly
>A/UX will be able to prevent a virus from infecting them, but I don't have
>copies of any viruses to try.

We use the Symantec virus checkers, they work under A/UX 2.0.

--
John Kullmann
jk@apple.com

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Paul Davison (postmaster)) (05/31/90)

In <402@creatures.cs.vt.edu> davism@creatures.cs.vt.edu (Mat Davis) writes:

>In the fall, we plan to put A/UX 2.0 on ten lab machines and we'd like to
>allow users to run the Mac environment if they like.  Has anyone experimented
>with viruses under 2.0?  I'm hoping that if we set the machines up correctly
>A/UX will be able to prevent a virus from infecting them, but I don't have
>copies of any viruses to try.

I tried WDEF and nVIR B on an early A/UX 2.0 beta and neither
of them were harmful: WDEF didn't do anything, nVIR could be
persuaded to infect the System file but not to pass on the
infection to other applications launched from A/UX filestores
(we didn't try Mac floppies or HFS volumes).

Expect viruses to work under A/UX before long - the
compatibility is getting pretty good... :-) :-( ?

>It seems as if the normal Unix protections should stop the viruses, but the
>Mac Toolbox appears to have at least *some* special privileges (such as being
>exempt from the "10% free" limit on ufs filesystems) and that leads me to
>wonder if that would weaken the protections.

This isn't true - the Macintosh emulation runs as you and
doesn't subvert the normal A/UX permissions (as far as I can
tell). It definitely doesn't sidestep the "minfree for root"
aspect of BSD filesystems.

>As a last resort, we *could* create a new, clean system folder each time the
>'guest' user logs in, but that will slow the login process considerably.

Won't help you, unless you have extra clean copies of the
applications as well. We do however run a system which
broadcasts complete disk images to our A/UX client machines
(currently A/UX 1.1.1) which would at least give you a clean
machine first thing in the morning.
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP

davism@creatures.cs.vt.edu (Mat Davis) (06/01/90)

In article <2303@sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk> liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Paul Davison (postmaster)) writes:
>...the Macintosh emulation runs as you and
>doesn't subvert the normal A/UX permissions (as far as I can
>tell). It definitely doesn't sidestep the "minfree for root"
>aspect of BSD filesystems.

Oops..that comes from forgetting that I need to 'df' from root to find out
how much space is *really* left; must've been early in the morning :-).

>In <402@creatures.cs.vt.edu> davism@creatures.cs.vt.edu (Mat Davis) writes:
>
>>As a last resort, we *could* create a new, clean system folder each time the
>>'guest' user logs in, but that will slow the login process considerably.
>
>Won't help you, unless you have extra clean copies of the
>applications as well.

We're planning to just provide the Mac system files and nothing else (no
applications; the students will have to bring those in on diskette).  So
using symlinks to most of the system files and actual copies of Finder, System,
LaserWriter, and so on shouldn't involve too much overhead.  I'm considering
modifying /mac/bin/mac32 so that *it* would do the copying when invoked, so
that anyone logging in using just the console emulator won't have to wait
for copying files that they won't use.

	Mat Davis
	(davism@vtopus.cs.vt.edu)