[comp.unix.aux] getting started on aux

mss+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Sherman) (06/01/90)

I recently got AUX 1.1.1 going on my IIci, but find my environment
lacking. For starters, does anyone have a suggestion for a multiwindow,
mousing, grepping text editor suitable for program development on a Mac
IIci running AU/X 1.1.1? I hate ed and vi, and consider emacs to have
minimal functionality (Is there an emacs available for AU/X? Or would I
have to port gun-emacs myself? I've seen the emacs distribution on
apple.com, but that requires completely building it -- see later about
gcc/pcc). Ez would be good, but I don't want to invest 100 megabytes
into X.11 and ATK just for a program editor (as well as the pain of
porting it). I was considering MPW (shell as editor), MEdit and Qued,
but MPW 3.0 doesn't seem to run on my IIci (it hangs the system) while
MEdit (and MS Word) cannot convert between the formats used for new
lines and  do not recognize non-Mac files (or rather, when I force them
to recognize non-Mac files, the resulting files becomes a Mac file which
I then cannot feed to ordinary Unix programs). While I have your
attention, anyone know of a port of gdb to AU/X 1.1.1
that will run on a Mac IIci? Or even gcc/pcc? The pcc is particularly
important since I am compiling programs with verylarge numbers of
"defines" in them which blows away the AUX (-B /usr/lib/big)
preprocessor. I tried using the pcc that is part of the emacs
distribution, but the resulting program (1) goes into a loop when I feed
it a file; (2) does not process include's correctly (claims it cannot
find files), (3) outputs garbage (well, it almost looks like pcc output,
but lots of things are wrong, like lack of new-lines, missing hash
marks, and so on). I do not know the story of the gcc on apple.com. I
assume that is only the actual compiler and not a combination of
preprocessor, compiler, optimizer and assembler.

Does anyone have a good suggestions?

		-Mark

palmer@tallis.enet.dec.com (Colonel Mode) (06/02/90)

I'm a die-hard VMS user. Are there any editors that will run under AUX that have
an EDT compatibility mode or at least an EDT keypad?

Also, does AUX support a separate file with no world access for the actual
passwords so that naughty users can't use a password cracking program that
uses the passwd file?

*****
Chris Palmer
palmer@tallis.enet.dec.com
phone (508)486-6667 dtn 226-6667

rmtodd@uokmax.uucp (Richard Michael Todd) (06/02/90)

mss+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Sherman) writes:
>minimal functionality (Is there an emacs available for AU/X? Or would I
>have to port gun-emacs myself? I've seen the emacs distribution on
>apple.com, but that requires completely building it -- see later about
>gcc/pcc). Ez would be good, but I don't want to invest 100 megabytes
  Well, the GNU-Emacs distribution on apple.com is already ported, all
you need to do is compile it.  As I recall from an earlier version (the
GNU Emacs 18.44 port that shipped with A/UX 1.0) it compiled just fine
with the stock cc.  I think someone out there has already-built binaries
of GNU Emacs 18.55 for A/UX avail. for anon. ftp, if not I can probably
make my (somewhat out-of-date v18.44) copy available.

>but MPW 3.0 doesn't seem to run on my IIci (it hangs the system) while
Rumour has it that MPW will run (with a minor patch) on A/UX 2.0, but not
1.1.  Get yer upgrade orders in now...

>attention, anyone know of a port of gdb to AU/X 1.1.1
>that will run on a Mac IIci? Or even gcc/pcc? The pcc is particularly
  Somebody posted here some time back about having ported GDB to A/UX, but
I don't recall seeing any announcements of availability of the port (via
anon. ftp, etc.).  I'd *love* to get ahold of this one.
   For GCC v1.37, grab the distribution from apple.com.
>marks, and so on). I do not know the story of the gcc on apple.com. I
>assume that is only the actual compiler and not a combination of
>preprocessor, compiler, optimizer and assembler.
   You assume wrong.  The gcc distribution includes binaries for the C
preprocessor and the main compiler itself (includes all optimization), as
well as the "gcc" driver program which calls the various passes.  You use
the standard A/UX assembler.
--
Richard Todd   rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us  or  rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

coolidge@roy.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (06/03/90)

mss+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Sherman) writes:
>Is there an emacs available for AU/X? Or would I
>have to port gun-emacs myself? I've seen the emacs distribution on
>apple.com, but that requires completely building it -- see later about
>gcc/pcc.

The emacs on apple.com is (almost) completely ported to A/UX. The
only problem I've seen is that the emacsclient program doesn't
work. Other than that, it seems to do quite well.

>While I have your
>attention, anyone know of a port of gdb to AU/X 1.1.1
>that will run on a Mac IIci?

Several people are working on it, I think, but nothing's out yet.

>I do not know the story of the gcc on apple.com. I
>assume that is only the actual compiler and not a combination of
>preprocessor, compiler, optimizer and assembler.

The gcc on apple.com includes (last I checked, anyway) the entire
package: preprocessor, compiler, and optimizer. By default it uses
the A/UX assembler, which is powerful enough to handle assembling
anything gcc's thrown it in my experience (including gcc itself,
X11R4, g++, emacs, and various other large packages). It does
occasional drop branch optimizations on the floor, but that doesn't
actually break anything and I doubt they mean much at all in terms
of performance, especially given the performance win gcc turns out
to be. Gcc produces very good optimized code (much better than A/UX's
cc). It's also not subject to the table-size bogosities of A/UX's cc.

In other words: get it!

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1990 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.