[comp.unix.aux] Help with A/UX 1.1 on 3rd Party video

howards@pinball.wpd.sgi.com (Currently Mr. Inst) (06/08/90)

Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong here:
(and none of that "you're running A/UX" crap...)

Equipment profile:

System:	Mac IIcx 8meg RAM
Video:	SuperMac Spectrum Series II/19" GS Monitor
	RasterOps 364 / Apple 13" Color Monitor
Disk:	Apple Internal 80 with A/UX 1.1 on it
	SuperMac XP100
	MassMicro DataPak 45R
	Apple CD-ROM
Printer:Laserwriter IISC

For some less than obvious reason, the only kernel I can ever
get to run on my A/UX system is the original one that came on
the disk.  I have tried to build a kernel with and without net
support and slip and I get the following error from autoconfig:

  Warning cannot find driver(s) for device ID 332 Version 1.0

add another one (different ID) for the (recent) RasterOps 364 board.
So what is it [you do/I need] to get rid of the warning messages?

It builds the kernel, but when I try and reboot it up, it gets as far
as resetting the monitors and just goes off to east-hyperspace.  I can
run in circles and scream and shout but I'd much rather have a working
SLIP kernel. Any ideas? (I'd like to solve this mystery before I go 2.0)
This month's hint on how to keep your sanity:

Frustrated by event notification systems that *sometimes* work?
Try my system: (a better than 50% success rate)

When your email flag goes up, say "Come in."
When someone knocks at your door, check your voicemail.
When your voicemail light goes on, check your email.

howards@wpd.sgi.com	[ My disclaimer is on file in the main office ]

davide@cs.qmw.ac.uk (David Edmondson) (06/08/90)

In <8713@odin.corp.sgi.com> howards@pinball.wpd.sgi.com (Currently Mr. Inst) writes:

>Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong here:
>(and none of that "you're running A/UX" crap...)
>Video: SuperMac Spectrum Series II/19" GS Monitor
>       RasterOps 364 / Apple 13" Color Monitor

>It builds the kernel, but when I try and reboot it up, it gets as far
>as resetting the monitors and just goes off to east-hyperspace.  I can
>run in circles and scream and shout but I'd much rather have a working
>SLIP kernel. Any ideas? (I'd like to solve this mystery before I go 2.0)

Sounds similar to the "Big Screen Disease" which plagued our
IIcx/two page display machines for a while.  When the screen
blinked you got a blown up version of the Sash screen instead
of the console and the machine hung.  This only happened when
the screen was set to other than 1 bit mode.  The eventual
work around was an INIT to reset the screen mode.

The can't find device driver warnings can be ignored, the
kernel doesn't have to know about videocards.

So try changing the state of your videocards and running Sash
again.

--
David Edmondson                 ARPA: davide@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Dept of Computer Science        JANET:davide@uk.ac.qmw.cs