[comp.unix.aux] TCP/IP through a Gatorbox with AUX 2.0

powers@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (06/28/90)

I just got AUX 2.0 installed on my IIcx and I have 2 questions.

Will the unix TCP/IP stuff work through a gatorbox ?  I've tried the
seemingly right things to do like installing MacTCP, but that has unpredictable
results (none pleasing).  I tried to run ifconfig, but it blows up when I tell
it to use the non-existant ethernet interface, and the only options listed
under commando are ethernet and loopback.

Second question, has anyone ported a news reader to AUX 2.0 ?

				Mark Powers
                                Unix Neophyte

ron@afsg.Apple.COM (Ron Flax) (06/29/90)

In article <1655.26891825@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> powers@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>Will the unix TCP/IP stuff work through a gatorbox ?  I've tried the
>seemingly right things to do like installing MacTCP, but that has unpredictable
>results (none pleasing).  I tried to run ifconfig, but it blows up when I tell
>it to use the non-existant ethernet interface, and the only options listed
>under commando are ethernet and loopback.

Unfortunately it is not possible to run TCP/IP over
localtalk wires, which is what it sounds like you are trying
to do..  You can run TCP/IP over ethernet and/or serial
lines using SL/IP (serial line internet protocol).  SL/IP
links are point-to-point, that is, you can connect two
systems together via SL/IP and they can communicate, but you
cannot connect many systems to the same wire as in an
ethernet connection.

Since you have a GatorBox, you must have an ethernet, why
not do yourself a favor and buy an ethernet card?  You CAN
run both TCP/IP and EtherTalk (AppleTalk protocols over
ethernet hardware) at the same time.  That means that you
can use FTP, TELNET, SMTP, rlogin, rcp, etc.. over the same
ethernet card that you use to access your printers,
AppleShare Fileservers, etc.. the only hitch is that you
must have a Phase 2 EtherTalk network.  I'm not sure if
Cayman Systems GatorBox software supports Phase 2 just yet.
It should but I don't know for sure if it does or not.

--ron

powers@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (06/30/90)

In article <381@afsg.Apple.COM>, ron@afsg.Apple.COM (Ron Flax) writes:
> Unfortunately it is not possible to run TCP/IP over
> localtalk wires, which is what it sounds like you are trying
> to do..  You can run TCP/IP over ethernet and/or serial
> lines using SL/IP (serial line internet protocol).  SL/IP
> links are point-to-point, that is, you can connect two
> systems together via SL/IP and they can communicate, but you
> cannot connect many systems to the same wire as in an
> ethernet connection.
>
> Since you have a GatorBox, you must have an ethernet, why
> not do yourself a favor and buy an ethernet card?  You CAN
> run both TCP/IP and EtherTalk (AppleTalk protocols over
> ethernet hardware) at the same time.  That means that you
> can use FTP, TELNET, SMTP, rlogin, rcp, etc.. over the same
> ethernet card that you use to access your printers,
> AppleShare Fileservers, etc.. the only hitch is that you
> must have a Phase 2 EtherTalk network.  I'm not sure if
> Cayman Systems GatorBox software supports Phase 2 just yet.
> It should but I don't know for sure if it does or not.
>
> --ron

We do have an ethernet, and I have a VAX that I can do SLIP with, I used
to have an ethernet card but it failed the smoke test a couple weeks ago :-(
and I don't have the money to replace it yet.

Next question...Since I'm going to be in the market for an Enet card soon what
do you all recommend ?  My last one was a kinetics card, I want to go as
inexpensive as possible.

Last question (this post)... Under MacOS I can print to my LaserWriter no
problem, under AUX I can select the LaserWriter with chooser, then when I go to
print the machine hangs.  The mouse moves, but everything else is unresponsive.
I've tried printing from Word4, and from TextEditor.

						Mark