[comp.unix.aux] How to give MultiFinder 14 megs under A/UX 2.0b?

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (07/04/90)

-----
My clients are running A/UX 2.0b? and would like to have MultiFinder have
access to as much memory as possible (they have large Digital Darkroom docs to
manipulate).  I seem to recall from a discussion here one time that MF had
access to 14 megs of memory under A/UX 2.0, but I can only get it to access 8
megs.  How does one increase this?

Any info much appreciated!

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

justin@Apple.COM (Justin Walker) (07/04/90)

In article <1990Jul3.202224.27910@midway.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>-----
>My clients are running A/UX 2.0b? and would like to have MultiFinder have
>access to as much memory as possible (they have large Digital Darkroom docs to
>manipulate).  I seem to recall from a discussion here one time that MF had
>access to 14 megs of memory under A/UX 2.0, but I can only get it to access 8
>megs.  How does one increase this?

	A/UX 2.0 supports up to 16MB of "multifinder memory" for 32-bit
	operation, and 8MB for 24-bit operation.  You can change the
	default, which is the size of physical memory in your Mac, to anything
	below the above limits, using the "-m" switch on "startmac".  Note that
	you can run with Multifinder using more memory than is physically
	present.  There is, of course, the inevitable payment to be made as
	you increase the ratio of virtual to real.

	This is set up in the files "/mac/bin/mac--", -- being either "24"
	(24-bit operation) or "32" (32-bit operation).  An alternative is
	the environment variable TBMEMORY.  The values for either form are,
	e.g., "16M" or "4M", to get 16 or 4 MB of (virtual) Multifinder memory.

	If your clients are using a real early beta, theory and practice
	might diverge a tiny bit.  What beta release is it?

Regards,

Justin

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large   *
A/UX Group                              |  When meetings are outlawed,
Apple Computer, Inc.                    |    Only outlaws will have meetings
10440 Bubb Rd,                          |
Cupertino, CA 95014                     |
--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large   (justin@apple.com) *