[comp.unix.aux] How can I get correct 'xinit' on X11R4

steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) (07/06/90)

In article <13127@shlump.nac.dec.com> furuta@tktv20.enet.dec.com (Akihiro Furuta) writes:
>Has anyone succeeded in starting X11R4 xinit? I could comple and link it,
>but when I started the image, I tried to run many XmacII! I used A/UX orginal
>cc and gcc, but I got the same problem. Are there any bugs in xinit?
>When I replaced the image with old one(X11R3), I could start Xwindow!

I dont think I understand what you are saying but one problem with
init is that is requires full path names for its arguments.  xinit alone
works fine for me otherwise.

for example..

xinit /usr/bin/X11/xterm -geometry 60x8-2-2 -sb -rv -fn 6x10 -T "console" \
	-e $HOME/.x11start -- /usr/bin/X11/XmacII v -f 25

or just plain..

xinit

both work for me.

>When I compled xcalc on gcc, I got assembler error message( illegal
>instructions, or something like that). What is the problem?

Dunno 'bout that one.. my xcalc works.

Are you using NFS by any chance?

--
What do these names have in common?
Bob, Flo, Augie, Curtis, Gordon, Rick, Rhonda, Meep, Bismark, Skip, Larson Petty

furuta@tktv20.enet.dec.com (Akihiro Furuta) (07/06/90)

Has anyone succeeded in starting X11R4 xinit? I could comple and link it,
but when I started the image, I tried to run many XmacII! I used A/UX orginal
cc and gcc, but I got the same problem. Are there any bugs in xinit?
When I replaced the image with old one(X11R3), I could start Xwindow!

When I compled xcalc on gcc, I got assembler error message( illegal
instructions, or something like that). What is the problem?

Akihiro Furuta
Digital Equipment Corp. Japan

wdavis@x102c.harris-atd.com (davis william 26373) (07/06/90)

In article <13127@shlump.nac.dec.com> furuta@tktv20.enet.dec.com (Akihiro Furuta) writes:
>When I compled xcalc on gcc, I got assembler error message( illegal
>instructions, or something like that). What is the problem?

I haven't used gcc, but have seen this with standard AUX cc and
determined that the problem comes from not enough space in the
root partition for compiler scratch files.  Empty out /etc/wtmp
and eliminate some core files and perhaps x11debug.log files.
Or anything else you don't need in the root partition.  I don't
know where the scratch files go (I would guess /tmp) so I don't know
if it is feasible to try mounting another disc there on some
configurations.  I have found that 2500 blocks free takes care
of some very large compiles, and 1200 blocks free takes care
of small source files.  It would be nice to have a better
error message come out than "illegal instruction" from the assembler.