[comp.unix.aux] Hints, tips, and tricks for A/UX 2.0 ...

tony@playfair.Stanford.EDU (Tony Cooper) (07/04/90)

From: tony@playfair.Stanford.EDU (Tony Cooper)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.aux
Subject: Tips, hints, and tricks for A/UX 2.0
Expires:
We can probably anticipate a few new readers of this newsgroup when A/UX 2.0
starts getting out to new users. Let's start up a repository of common
questions and answers for A/UX 2.0 and store it on ... well ... whereever.
Perhaps apple.com or sumex. I'd look after it myself but I am going to be
out of circulation for a while as when I move overseas next week.

As people ask questions and they get answered the answers should be submitted
to the repository.

I'll start the ball rolling with some quickies:

Use the get-geometry command of SCSI-Evaluator (available by anonymous ftp
from sumex and other sites) to get the disk geometry values for /etc/disktab.

Make /tmp a separate partition and make /usr/tmp a link to it. This makes for
faster use of the /tmp directory (eg for compiles) than having /tmp as part
of the root partition since the disk arm has much less distance to seek from
inodes to data blocks (about 10 to 20% speedup)

After Dark works nicely as a screen save for the login screen. Just make
sure that the modules are writeable even if you don't want to write to them.
If users want a screen saver in their personal system folders then they can
make a link to After Dark and then the modules have to be world writeable.
You can use a different module for the different System Folders in A/UX.

If you have DA's and fonts you want to use under both MacOS and A/UX/MacOS
then you can save a lot of space by using Suitcase II. Just set up Suitcase
on your MacOS partition in the system folder. Then drag the suitcase icon
into your A/UX system folder. It still uses the same DA's and fonts that
are sitting on the MacOS partition - no need to copy them into an A/UX
system folder.

The same dragging works for On Cue. But I have not been able to make On Cue
put UNIX software in its menu. Someone should write something to do this
because under A/UX is is slower than MacOS to dig into folders to find
applications to double click on. Or perhaps a MacOS application could be
written to launch a UNIX application so the UNIX applications can be stored
as documents in the On Cue menu.

Create the aliases
alias mac32 'mac32; screenrestore'
alias mac24 'mac24; screenrestore'
then use the console emulator when you log in. That way when MacOS crashes
you are restored into the emulator again. This saves time cos you don't
have to log in again and you don't have to wait while the login screen starts
up.

Set the environmental veriable TBMEMORY to as many bytes up to 16MB as you
want to use under Multifinder. Then Multifinder will run using virtual
memory and you don't have to wait for system 7 or use the Virtual INIT.
Eg put setenv TBMEMORY 16M in your .login file.

Check the "About Login" item under the apple in the login screen. I like it.

If you have MacsBug in a beta release of A/UX don't delete it. The release
version of A/UX does not have it. (Could someone send me a copy please).

If you want to change directory under the command line interface to a directory
with two words in it eg System Folder you have to type cd 'System Folder' or
for a shortcut cd Sy* if Sy is unique. Someone should modify tcsh so that
when you use filename completion it treats the two words as one string just
as the csh shell treats the two words it get from the name expansion when it
expands Sy*. How bout it Paul? It's really a bug in tcsh.

I have an INIT from Alexander Falk that lets you choose at startup time
whether or not you want to run MacOS or A/UX. If you decide A/UX it boots
straight away instead of executing the remaining INITs and start sequence.

Finally, don't spend time coloring your icons in your folders or disk icons
(facade works) cos when you crash the MacOS part you lose all those colors.

Cheers,
Tony Cooper
tony@popserver.stanford.edu

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (07/07/90)

In <687@helens.Stanford.EDU> tony@playfair.Stanford.EDU (Tony Cooper) writes:

>If you have DA's and fonts you want to use under both MacOS and A/UX/MacOS
>then you can save a lot of space by using Suitcase II. Just set up Suitcase
>on your MacOS partition in the system folder. Then drag the suitcase icon
>into your A/UX system folder. It still uses the same DA's and fonts that
>are sitting on the MacOS partition - no need to copy them into an A/UX
>system folder.

Which version of Suitcase have you got? - the one I tried didn't
work under the A/UX 2.0 beta I had at the time. I'd really like
Suitcase to work because I want personal System Folders for
each student and I don't want to duplicate hundreds of kbytes
of fonts and so on.

>Cheers,
>Tony Cooper
>tony@popserver.stanford.edu

I think the "Hints & Tips" collection idea is a good one.
Perhaps since it is in their own best interests, Apple could
host it and someone in DTS could moderate it?
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP