[comp.unix.aux] AUX on non Apple disk drive?

pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) (06/28/90)

I would like to hear from anyone who has AUX running from a non-Apple
disk drive.  I'm hearing conflicting reports that AUX does/doesn't run
on non-Apple disk drives.

--
     Peter Schmitt					UNIX/VMS Consultant
Kiewit Computation Center				Computing  Services

demarsee@gamera.cns.syr.edu (Darryl E. Marsee) (06/28/90)

In article <22932@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete
Schmitt) writes:

> I would like to hear from anyone who has AUX running from a non-Apple
> disk drive.  I'm hearing conflicting reports that AUX does/doesn't run
> on non-Apple disk drives.

I have A/UX 2.0b9 running on a Hard Drives International 160MB.  I believe
the actual drive mechanism is a Miniscribe.

Darryl E. Marsee
Syracuse University
<demarsee@gamera.cns.syr.edu>

nghiem@ut-emx.UUCP (nghiem) (07/01/90)

In article <22932@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>I would like to hear from anyone who has AUX running from a non-Apple
>disk drive.  I'm hearing conflicting reports that AUX does/doesn't run
>on non-Apple disk drives.

I have installed A/UX 1.1.1 on a MacProducts Magic 150 (CDC/Imprimis/
Seagate Wren III 150 meg hd.). I used Jasmine Driveware installer to
partition the drive, but had to edit the partition map with dp because
the Jasmine installer made several mistakes. I set up the standard
80 meg A/UX file system and loaded A/UX from tape. Afterwards, I
mounted the rest of the Magic 150 in an additional partition.

A/UX 1.1.1 works well. However, I cannot recommend the Magic 150 to anyone.
Our drive has crashed four times. The third time it crashed, it was one month
out of warranty. MacProducts sent the drive to Imprimis/Seagate to be
rebuilt, but a couple of months after that repair,
the boot sector of the Magic 150 failed again.

I cannot recommend use of Jasmine Driveware for A/UX, unless
you enjoy debugging the partition errors. I used it
because it came with our Jasmine drives and at the time I had nothing
else to use. We have since received Silverlining from LaCie,
which is reported to be very good software for partioning non-Apple
drives for A/UX. However, since our Magic 150 drive is
still in the shop, I have not been able to try Silverlining for
myself.
This article is posted for discussion only. Any misrepresentation,
if any, is purely unintentional. Any opinion expressed or implicit in
these remarks are solely my own.

nghiem@emx.utexas.edu
!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!nghiem
nghiem@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!ccwf!nghiem

sjs@netcom.UUCP (Stephen Schow) (07/03/90)

Is AU-X available on CD yet?  Will it be?  How long?  How much?

ronniek@cs.tamu.edu (Ronnie Killough) (07/03/90)

In article <22932@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>I would like to hear from anyone who has AUX running from a non-Apple
>disk drive.  I'm hearing conflicting reports that AUX does/doesn't run
>on non-Apple disk drives.

A/UX will indeed run on non-Apple drives, but you MUST be very careful
that when you order the drive that you are assured that the drive is
compatible with A/UX.  This means the internal-mechanism, not the brand
name on the box.  For some reason, some drives will not work with A/UX...
it has something to do with how the drive responds to SCSI errors or something.
There is a table in non-volatile RAM or maybe written on the drive itself
which is a list of parameters which control several things.  Some drives
have these parameters set up in such a way that A/UX complains when it tries
to write to the partitioned drive.

For example, I now have a 200MB drive from IDS which I am very happy with.
I don't know what the internal mechanism is, but the first 180MB drive I
got from IDS would not work with A/UX.  (The IDS folks were very nice and
replaced it with the 200MB drive which does work.  I did pay a small price
difference, but it was negligible).

	  that assurance when you order it.

Ronnie Killough

schnable@cbnewsc.att.com (andrew.schnable) (07/05/90)

From article <11464@netcom.UUCP>, by sjs@netcom.UUCP (Stephen Schow):
> Is AU-X available on CD yet?  Will it be?  How long?  How much?

The answer is yes - I received my copy on CD last friday.

And to answer the question in the Subject line - yes it can be made
to work on non-apple disk drives.  First - order Silverlining from LaCie
(be sure and tell them you want to use it to format a disk for AUX2.0).

I used Silverling to partition my Quantum 170 Mb drive. I selected
the "MAXIMUX AUX" option which gives you a small Macintosh partition,
the "standard" AUX partitions, and a large free AUX partition.
I discovered that I had to grow the Mac partition from the default
size that Silverlining chose to get all the AUX boot-strapping files
installed. I then basically followed the installation instructions that came
with AUX2.0.

I was able to get AUX up and running, but, my large free AUX slice was
not mounted. I figured that I probably had to make a filesystem and
mount it myself. Here I ran into a problem - the instructions in
the AUX documentation lead me to believe that this slice should
be available under /dev/dsk/c6d0s3 (or something like that -
I am not sitting at the machine right now...) But, there were no
such nodes in the filesystem! To make a long story short, I had to
make the nodes by hand (using mknod), in both /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk.
I was then able run newfs to create the file system and mount to mount it.

Does anybody know what the c6d0s30 and c6d0c31 devices are for?
It looks like c6d0s31 is the entire disk....

I also am begining to realize I probably should have ordered the
administrative documentation.  Simple things like getting my HP
deskwriter driver installed are not documented in the basic documentation -
they tell you how to install apple printers, but then tell you
to look in the admin guides for instructions on setting up
"other" printers.

And here's a big YUCK - Apple isn't providing honeydanber UUCP - its
a some really old old version. My only previous experience has
been administrating HDB UUCP.  I need to check if ksh88 is being provided
or if it too is an obsolete version. And awk for that matter.
Does anyone know if ksh and awk are the new versions or the old?

a.schnable@att.com

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (07/07/90)

In <6313@helios.TAMU.EDU> ronniek@cs.tamu.edu (Ronnie Killough) writes:

>For example, I now have a 200MB drive from IDS which I am very happy with.
>I don't know what the internal mechanism is ...

There is a cdev from Apple Developer Technical Services called
SCSIProbe which runs under the MacOS and which will tell you
the vendor and product type of your SCSI devices: since this is
freely distributed on the Disc called Wanda you should have no
difficulty getting hold of it. Example output on one of our
systems is:

ID  TYPE  VENDOR        PRODUCT         VERSION
0   DISK  QUANTUM       Q250 76-45004   36
2   ROM   SONY          CD-ROM CDU-8001 3.2i
7   CPU   APPLE         MACINTOSH II    6.03

More information is available from fancier (and more
expensive!) tools. Does anyone out there fancy producing a
little something which will report the following information
for disk and ROM devices?

number of blocks, block size
number of heads
number of tracks
number of blocks per track

The tricky one is the last, since this may vary from track to
track: if it does then I'd also like to know the block number(s)
at which the number of blocks per track changes. This
information is needed to make sensible /etc/disktab entries for
disks, and if there is a variable number of blocks per track,
to choose good partition boundaries to match the disktab entries!
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP

In <1990Jul4.170317.2217@cbnewsc.att.com> schnable@cbnewsc.att.com (andrew.schnable) writes:

>I was able to get AUX up and running, but, my large free AUX slice was
>not mounted. I figured that I probably had to make a filesystem and
>mount it myself. Here I ran into a problem - the instructions in
>the AUX documentation lead me to believe that this slice should
>be available under /dev/dsk/c6d0s3 (or something like that -
>I am not sitting at the machine right now...) But, there were no
>such nodes in the filesystem! To make a long story short, I had to
>make the nodes by hand (using mknod), in both /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk.
>I was then able run newfs to create the file system and mount to mount it.

the pname utility will make the devices for you if they don't
already exist.

>Does anybody know what the c6d0s30 and c6d0c31 devices are for?
>It looks like c6d0s31 is the entire disk....

Slice 31 is the enitre disk (and always has been). Slice 30 is
the (assumed one and only) Apple_HFS partition which appears on
your desktop under A/UX 2.0 - you don't seem to be able to have
more than one such partition per disk.

>And here's a big YUCK - Apple isn't providing honeydanber UUCP

That's a YUCK?  Honeydanber UUCP likes to talk to itself and
has difficulty with any of the "real" implementations. Myself
I'd vote for UKUUCP but I don't suppose you Americans have ever
heard of it...
--

anderson@csli.Stanford.EDU (Steve Anderson) (07/09/90)

In article <2478@sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk>, liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) writes:
> In <1990Jul4.170317.2217@cbnewsc.att.com> schnable@cbnewsc.att.com (andrew.schnable) writes:
>
> >I was able to get AUX up and running, but, my large free AUX slice was
> >not mounted. I figured that I probably had to make a filesystem and
> >mount it myself. Here I ran into a problem - the instructions in
> >the AUX documentation lead me to believe that this slice should
> >be available under /dev/dsk/c6d0s3 (or something like that -
> >I am not sitting at the machine right now...) But, there were no
> >such nodes in the filesystem! To make a long story short, I had to
> >make the nodes by hand (using mknod), in both /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk.
> >I was then able run newfs to create the file system and mount to mount it.
>
> the pname utility will make the devices for you if they don't
> already exist.

When I built A/UX 2.0 (from the CDROM distribution) there were two
bizarre features to the installed result that concern fiilesystems:

(a) like Andrew Schnable above, I found the device /dev/dsk/cnd0s3
corresponding to the "Unreserved 1" partition I had made was missing.
But in my case, it was /dev/dsk/c4d0s3, which was in fact the ONLY
value of _n_ for which /dev/dsk/cnd0s3 wasn't there. It looks as if
the install somehow systematically fails to create this device if the
corresponding partition actually exists....on the other hand, my
"Unreserved 2" partition on /dev/dsk/c4d0s4 did have the corresponding
device created.
(b) Although I put both my root and /usr partitions (in fact, all my
A/UX partitions) on the disk at SCSI ID 4, for some reason the install
resulted in an entry in /etc/fstab for the partition with "/" as
/dev/dsk/c0d0s0, not c4d0s0. On the other hand, it managed to mount
the right thing.

I've done the install twice now from scratch (trying to fix other
problems). Both these things happened both times.

Steve Anderson
Cognitive Science Center
The Johns Hopkins University
anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu
anderson@cs.jhu.edu
anderson@csli.stanford.edu

vlb@Apple.COM (Vicki Brown) (07/10/90)

In article <1990Jul4.170317.2217@cbnewsc.att.com> schnable@cbnewsc.att.com (andrew.schnable) writes:

>I was able to get AUX up and running, but, my large free AUX slice was
>not mounted. I figured that I probably had to make a filesystem and
>mount it myself. Here I ran into a problem - the instructions in
>the AUX documentation lead me to believe that this slice should
>be available under /dev/dsk/c6d0s3 (or something like that -
>I am not sitting at the machine right now...) But, there were no
>such nodes in the filesystem! To make a long story short, I had to
>make the nodes by hand (using mknod), in both /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk.
>I was then able run newfs to create the file system and mount to mount it.

We apologize - the nodes do exist for all SCSI IDs *except* the root disk.
These device nodes are deleted by a pname bug, during the final stages
of the Installation procedure. Thanks for the bug report, and we'll fix
this.  In the meantime, if you have a Free A/UX Slice 3 partition, you
will need to rebuild the device node before making a file system. If you
aren't sure how to do this, there are instructions below.  Those familiar
with mknod can hit the N key :-)

>Does anybody know what the c6d0s30 and c6d0c31 devices are for?
>It looks like c6d0s31 is the entire disk....

  slice 31 is the entire disk (including the partition map).  Do NOT
build a file system in slice 31.
  slice 30 is the MacPartition (If there is one on that disk).  It is
accessible with the UNIX dd command.

================  Basic A/UX tutorial for mknod  =====================
(see the on-line manual page with "man mknod")
You must be the superuser to run this command.  A Commando dialog is
available.

If you look at /dev/dsk with the "ls -l" command, you'll see the pattern:
	brw-------   1 bin      bin       24,  0 Apr 10 01:00 c0d0s0
	brw-------   1 bin      bin       24,  1 Apr 10 01:00 c0d0s1
	brw-------   1 bin      bin       24,  2 Apr 10 01:00 c0d0s2
	brw-------   1 bin      bin       24,  3 Apr 10 01:00 c0d0s3
	brw-------   1 bin      bin       25,  2 Apr 10 01:00 c1d0s2
	brw-------   1 bin      bin       25,  3 Apr 10 01:00 c1d0s3
	brw-------   1 bin      bin       30,  6 Apr 10 01:00 c6d0s6

The first character in the line is the type (/dev/dsk is b,  /dev/rdsk is c)
The major device number = SCSI_ID + 24	    (from 24 to 30)
The minor device number = the slice number  (from 0 to 31)
Thus, to rebuild the devices for SCSI drive ID 6, slice 3:
	su root
	/etc/mknod  /dev/dsk/c6d0s3 b 30 3
	/etc/mknod  /dev/rsk/c6d0s3 c 30 3

  |  Vicki Brown                    \         Apple Computer, Inc.      |
  |  vlb@apple.com                   \        MS 58A, 10440 Bubb Rd.    |
  |  A/UX Development Engineering     \       Cupertino, CA  95014 USA  |
  |  +1 (408) 974-2120                 \                                |
  |          Ooit'n Normaal Mens Ontmoet?  En..., Beviel't?		|
  |       (Did you ever meet a normal person?  Did you enjoy it?)       |

In article <14367@csli.Stanford.EDU> anderson@csli.Stanford.EDU (Steve Anderson) writes:
>(b) Although I put both my root and /usr partitions (in fact, all my
>A/UX partitions) on the disk at SCSI ID 4, for some reason the install
>resulted in an entry in /etc/fstab for the partition with "/" as
>/dev/dsk/c0d0s0, not c4d0s0. On the other hand, it managed to mount
>the right thing.
>
>I've done the install twice now from scratch (trying to fix other
>problems). Both these things happened both times.
>
>Steve Anderson

/etc/fstab, as shipped (be it on CD, Hard disk, or floppies), contains
2 sample lines:
	/dev/dsk/c0d0s0         /               ignore  rw  1 1
	rhost_1:/filesystem     /mnt            ignore  rw  0 0
Note that the filesystem type is "ignore".
These lines are templates for you to use; they do not reflect the SCSI ID of
your root device.

If you do put /usr on a separate filesystem, /etc/fstab will be edited to
include an entry for mounting /usr.

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (07/10/90)

In <14367@csli.Stanford.EDU> anderson@csli.Stanford.EDU (Steve Anderson) writes:

>When I built A/UX 2.0 (from the CDROM distribution) there were two
>bizarre features to the installed result that concern fiilesystems:

>(a) like Andrew Schnable above, I found the device /dev/dsk/cnd0s3
>corresponding to the "Unreserved 1" partition I had made was missing.

Note that the CD ROM comes with a partition called "Unreserved 1"
that is 7960 blocks starting at block 156366. These blocks do
not exist on all Apple 80Meg disks - they are part of the extra
space you get on the newer internal 80 Meg disks that you don't
get on the old HD 80SC disks.