[comp.unix.aux] A/UX 1.1 and 2.0 on the same drive: How?

news@helens.Stanford.EDU (news) (07/09/90)

I have A/UX 2.0 on partition s0, swap on s1, a few user systems on s2, s3,
and s4, and A/UX 1.1 on s5.

How do I boot A/UX 1.1 on s5? This is what I do: I run A/UX startup, click
cancel to get me a # prompt, type in pname -a to recognize partition s5 (cos
it's in /etc/ptab), change (default)/ in the preferences to (0,0,5)/. Then
boot. The right kernel gets booted but then I get a panic "can't mount root".

I can't think of what to try next. Any ideas? The panic comes just after
the message about I/O acceleration so the device drivers have been initted
OK.

Thanks,
Tony Cooper
tony@popserver.stanford.edu

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (07/10/90)

In <718@helens.Stanford.EDU> news@helens.Stanford.EDU (news) writes:

>I have A/UX 2.0 on partition s0, swap on s1, a few user systems on s2, s3,
>and s4, and A/UX 1.1 on s5.

>How do I boot A/UX 1.1 on s5? This is what I do: I run A/UX startup, click
>cancel to get me a # prompt, type in pname -a to recognize partition s5 (cos
>it's in /etc/ptab), change (default)/ in the preferences to (0,0,5)/. Then
>boot. The right kernel gets booted but then I get a panic "can't mount root".

>I can't think of what to try next. Any ideas? The panic comes just after
>the message about I/O acceleration so the device drivers have been initted
>OK.

Try changing the cluster number on the A/UX 1.1 partition and
then booting that changed cluster. A/UX 1.1 won't be able to
understand that A/UX 2.0 partition because 1.1 doesn't support
the 4.2 filesystems, which is probably why it died trying to
understand the partition marked in the partition map as the
root partition for the default cluster.

I bet the A/UX support people were very depressed by your
message - it won't be fun supporting the old system and new
system at different sites, but someone who wants to mix them on
the same disk... groan!
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP