[comp.unix.aux] update functionality in A/UX

jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (07/06/90)

Does A/UX have update functionality (i.e., sync's every x seconds)??
I realize that it doesn't have the update daemon like BSD UNIX's do, but
it may be compiled in the kernel... is it? I have written an update
daemon which does this for me, but I'm wondering if it's overkill...

Also, assuming you have LOTS of memory, is there any real harm is setting
up NBUF to some huge number (like 5000 and above)??
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Kilimanjaro is a pretty tricky climb. Most of it's up, until you reach
 the very, very top, and then it tends to slope away rather sharply."

davep@apple.com (Dave Payne) (07/11/90)

In article <2708@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim
Jagielski) writes:
> Does A/UX have update functionality (i.e., sync's every x seconds)??
> I realize that it doesn't have the update daemon like BSD UNIX's do, but
> it may be compiled in the kernel... is it? I have written an update
> daemon which does this for me, but I'm wondering if it's overkill...

The init process does a sync once every 5 minutes, and after handling the
death of a child process.  If you want it more often than that, then yes,
use your daemon.

Dave Payne
A/UX Engineering, Apple Computer
davep@apple.com