[comp.unix.aux] mounting drives

MARCELO@pucc.princeton.edu (MARCELO) (07/13/90)

Hey all ..

     I'm having a bit of a problem getting 2 of my HDs to mount when I
launch AUX .. One is a Dataframe 20 SCSI ID 6 and the other is a MicroTech
remov (Syquest) SCSI ID 4 .. I know AUX sees them because I get an error
message when first starting up AUX (something about too much SCSI data) ..
I'm new to this AUX stuff so any help would be great ..

     .. Marcelo ..

marcelo@pucc.princeton.edu
marcelo@idunno.princeton.edu
marcelo@phoenix.princeton.edu

.. I didn't do it ..
.. It wasn't me ..
.. Nobody saw me do it ..
.. Nobody can prove a thing ..

phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (07/14/90)

In article <1208@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, MARCELO@pucc.princeton.edu (MARCELO) writes...
}
}
}Hey all ..
}
}     I'm having a bit of a problem getting 2 of my HDs to mount when I
}launch AUX .. One is a Dataframe 20 SCSI ID 6 and the other is a MicroTech
}remov (Syquest) SCSI ID 4 .. I know AUX sees them because I get an error
}message when first starting up AUX (something about too much SCSI data) ..
}I'm new to this AUX stuff so any help would be great ..
}
}
}     .. Marcelo ..
}
}marcelo@pucc.princeton.edu
}marcelo@idunno.princeton.edu
}marcelo@phoenix.princeton.edu

Hi,

I am having the SAME PROBLEM!!!   I hope what Apple has told me isn't true,
because they told me that they only recognize Mac Drives using the APPLE driver,
which you can't get on a third party drive because HD SC Setup will not work
with third party drives!!

APPLE, you are going to lose a major chunk of your market if you don't allow
A/UX to work with third party HDs, since most people HAVE them already!!

WAKE UP!  This isn't just an APPLE WORLD!
Phil Hunt                      "Wherever you go, there you are!!!"
Digital Equipment Corporation                 Phone: (508)486-2164
ENET:        VAXPHW::PHIL
USENET:      phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com
MOREUSENET:  phil%vaxphw.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com
EVENMORE:    ....!decwrl!dec-vaxphw!phil

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (07/14/90)

phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
>In article <1208@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, MARCELO@pucc.princeton.edu (MARCELO) writes...
>}     I'm having a bit of a problem getting 2 of my HDs to mount when I
>}launch AUX .. One is a Dataframe 20 SCSI ID 6 and the other is a MicroTech
>}remov (Syquest) SCSI ID 4 .. I know AUX sees them because I get an error
>}message when first starting up AUX (something about too much SCSI data) ..

>I am having the SAME PROBLEM!!!   I hope what Apple has told me isn't true,
>because they told me that they only recognize Mac Drives using the APPLE driver,
>which you can't get on a third party drive because HD SC Setup will not work
>with third party drives!!

  Bull hockey.  Complete unmitigated bull hockey.  A/UX works with a good
many third party hard drives just fine, thank you.  This A/UX box is
connected to a 330M (non-Apple) external drive which has most of it
allocated to A/UX.  True, Apple HD SC Setup will not recognize non-Apple
drives.  There are two ways around this: patch HD SC Setup to take out the
check for the Apple drive ID, or use a third-party formatter like
SilverLining by LaCie.  I recommend the latter method; SilverLining's
fairly inexpensive (~$80, last I checked), and seems to be a good deal more
flexible than the HD SC Setup program as far as partitioning schemes goes.

  Now, on to your problem.  The SyQuest removable drive is notorious for not
being compatible with A/UX as-is; the problem is that the default setting
for one of the SCSI parameters in the "mode page" is set in a way that the
A/UX drivers don't like.  There's an INIT available from the sumex archives
that you can install in your MacOS partition which sets the mode page on
your SyQuest correctly each time you boot.  Check it out...
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp

kmarko@hpdmd48boi.hp.com (Kurt Marko) (07/16/90)

:/ hpdmd48:comp.unix.aux / rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) /  7:13 pm  Jul 13, 1990 /
:
[...]

I have been unable to get A/UX to mount an hfs (Mac OS) drive, formatted
with SilverLining (v5.??), which has three partitions.  All of the
partitions are hfs (none A/UX), and A/UX is booted from another (Apple)
disk.  I have heard that A/UX may have a fundamental problem mounting
any disk which has more than one hfs partition.  Unfortunately, I haven't
been able to get A/UX to mount even the first partition, it just ignores
the whole disk.

One other disk incompatability I have is with an Iomega Bernoulli Box
(44MB removeable).  A/UX won't mount it either, and when I put Iomega's
driver (a startup init) into my A/UX system folder, the system hangs
(when Macfinder is launched at login).  A call to Iomega tech support
resulted in a response roughtly equivalent to "A/UX...huh?".

If anyone can shed some light (or better yet, offer some solutions)
to either of these problems, I'd love to hear about it.

Kurt Marko
kmarko@hpdmd48.hp.com

zimmer@cod.NOSC.MIL (Thomas L. Zimmerman) (07/18/90)

> If anyone can shed some light (or better yet, offer some solutions)
> to either of these problems, I'd love to hear about it.

OK, first, yes A/UX 2.0 can deal with non-Apple drives and yes, it does
only mount one HFS partition - no matter how many there are on the drive.
I have a 650M HP as my external drive with A/UX running off my internal
HD80.  I originally had several mac partitions on the external driv -
which had been formatted and partitioned using Silverlining.  Making all
the HFS partitions mount on startup resulted in their being there under the
minimal mac os when it started but then all but one went away when A/UX
was launched.  I even tried installing the SilverLining mount controller
DA, got it running under A/UX and then mounted the other partitions - what
I ended up with was several copies of the same disk partition! Conversation
with Apple reps verified that A/UX will only mount the single HFS partition
per physical drive.  If you use Silverlining it is fairly trivial to
alternately copy files to the one partition you want, shrink the other
partitions, expand the one your keeping in a repeat loop until all your files
are on the one partition and then delete the others.  I have been running
for over a week now with a 320M HFS partition and have have no problems.

Now, I've got a question.  Alert readers will note that I have used only
half of my 650M disk.  The other half was set up, using Silverlining as
a "UNIX_SVR2;Random" partition.  Anyone out there have any clue what
slice of the disk this is so I can make a file system and mount it?

A final comment. I also have the 1.2G of disk on my Sun workstation
mounted using NFS to the Mac.  It has not really hit me just how
impressive the A/UX Finder interface is for doing "real" UNIX stuff until
yesterday.  I was going through the several megabytes of net notes and
source code I have collected in the last few months.  But, rather than
doing a lot of typing of descriptive (but long) filenames, I was double
clicking on unix text file icons, transparently bringing up Textedit to
view and edit them.  I was dragging files from folder to folder to place
them where they made sense - sometimes on the mac file system and sometimes
on the UNIX one (no more rcp and ftp).  I was dropping UNIX files in the
trash and they went away.  I even had a running count of the the amount
of used/free disk space at the top of my Finder window - so I could see
what a good job I was doing of freeing up space - without regularly
resorting to 'df'.  Reading this it may not sound like much, but to
someone who could both appreciate it from the transparent ease of use and
who had some idea of all the technical magic going on in the background to
make it that easy it was impressive.  Well done Apple!

--
Lee Zimmerman, Naval Ocean Systems Center, Code 421, San Diego, CA, 92152
{arpa,mil}net: zimmer@nosc.mil