[comp.unix.aux] TCP for A/UX

rhodes@grebyn.com (Ned Rhodes) (07/17/90)

	I have two macs connected via appletalk.  One runs A/UX, the
other MacOS.  I can transfer data my logging in over a serial link or by
moving data on disks.  What I want to do is log in over appletalk using
something like TOPS termainal or some other TCP utility.
	I can get TOPS terminal to run on the one Mac, but it never sees
the A/UX system.  What do I have to do on the A/UX side to use these TCP
utilities?  Has anyone done this?  Thanks.

--
Ned W. Rhodes                   (703) 534-2297 (voice)
Software Systems Group          (703) 237-9654 (fax)

glenn@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn Souther) (07/18/90)

In article <20414@grebyn.com> rhodes@grebyn.com (Ned Rhodes) writes:

>	I have two macs connected via appletalk.  One runs A/UX, the
>other MacOS.  I can transfer data my logging in over a serial link or by
>moving data on disks.  What I want to do is log in over appletalk using
>something like TOPS termainal or some other TCP utility.
>	I can get TOPS terminal to run on the one Mac, but it never sees
>the A/UX system.  What do I have to do on the A/UX side to use these TCP
>utilities?  Has anyone done this?  Thanks.
>
>--
>Ned W. Rhodes                   (703) 534-2297 (voice)
>Software Systems Group          (703) 237-9654 (fax)
>2001 North Kenilworth Street	CompuServe : 71321,424
>Arlington, VA  22205            rhodes@grebyn.COM

Assuming that you are using ethernet, check to make sure that the
Mac/OS box is running phase 2. A/UX will not talk phase 1. It would
be really helpful if Apple products would support BOTH phases during
an interim period. On Campus we have routers that don't understand
phase 2 yet, and we also have phase 2 only A/UX machines. So much
for one happy world talking to each other.

Glenn Souther
Office of Computing Services
uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!vail!glenn
ARPA: glenn@vail.gatech.edu         BITNET: CC100GS@GITNVE2
Ma Bell:  (404) 894-6176