[comp.unix.aux] atstatus:No printer selected by Macintosh chooser

sdh@vax2.twg.com ("Sari Harrison") (07/17/90)

Help!  I keep getting this message over and over and over again.  It's
driving me crazy!

I have a IIfx with an Apple ethernet card and have configured
/etc/appletalk to be ethertalk0.  TCP/IP works just fine, but I can't see
any zones.  When the Mac is running MacOS all the zones are there.  I was
previously unconcerned about this lack of zones, but then I tried using
lpr and suddenly I was getting this constant flow of messages.  They
change to "LaserWriter:LaserWriter@* not found" when I go into the chooser
and select Laserwriter.  I pretty much understand what this means, but how
to stop it?  And what started it?  I did manage to shut it up by running
newconfig with noappletalk, but that's not really a solution.

Incidentally, how does one make changes to the System Folder?
Specifically, add or remove cdevs?

This is only my opinion

lantz@Apple.COM (Bob Lantz) (07/18/90)

In article <7617@gollum.twg.com> sdh@vax2.twg.com ("Sari Harrison") writes:

>Help!  I keep getting this message over and over and over again.  It's
>driving me crazy!
>
>I have a IIfx with an Apple ethernet card and have configured
>/etc/appletalk to be ethertalk0.  TCP/IP works just fine, but I can't see
>any zones.  When the Mac is running MacOS all the zones are there.

Perhaps this is a silly question, but are you connected to an
Ethertalk network? If not, use localtalk0 as your appletalk interface.

>  I was
>previously unconcerned about this lack of zones, but then I tried using
>lpr and suddenly I was getting this constant flow of messages.  They
>change to "LaserWriter:LaserWriter@* not found" when I go into the chooser
>and select Laserwriter.  I pretty much understand what this means, but how
>to stop it?  And what started it?  I did manage to shut it up by running
>newconfig with noappletalk, but that's not really a solution.

If you don't select a laserwriter (i.e. you didn't say "I selected
laserwriter 'bozowriter' and can print fine from TextEdit") then
appletalk printing will try to find some random laserwriter named
"LaserWriter" as a default.

>Incidentally, how does one make changes to the System Folder?
>Specifically, add or remove cdevs?

You add or remove cdevs by dragging them to or from the system folder.
The global system folder is /mac/sys/System Folder.  You can also have
a personal system folder in your home directory.

Bob Lantz
A/UX Team

ron@afsg.Apple.COM (Ron Flax) (07/19/90)

In article <43088@apple.Apple.COM> lantz@Apple.COM (Bob Lantz) writes:
>In article <7617@gollum.twg.com> sdh@vax2.twg.com ("Sari Harrison") writes:
>>
>>/etc/appletalk to be ethertalk0.  TCP/IP works just fine, but I can't see
>>any zones.  When the Mac is running MacOS all the zones are there.
>
>Perhaps this is a silly question, but are you connected to an
>Ethertalk network? If not, use localtalk0 as your appletalk interface.

also note that you must have a Phase 2 EtherTalk network,
Phase 1 will not work unless you use LocalTalk.

maples@ddti.com (Greg Maples) (07/20/90)

In article <43088@apple.Apple.COM> lantz@Apple.COM (Bob Lantz) writes:
>In article <7617@gollum.twg.com> sdh@vax2.twg.com ("Sari Harrison") writes:
>>
>>lpr and suddenly I was getting this constant flow of messages.  They
>>change to "LaserWriter:LaserWriter@* not found" when I go into the chooser
>>and select Laserwriter.  I pretty much understand what this means, but how

Well, I'm glad to know that we're not the only site with this problem.
We have EXACTLY the same problem, and I can tell you all about it.
First, yes we are running ethertalk, with an Apple Internet router over
four zones, one of which is 'printer zone' with four printers.  Selecting
the printer through the chooser works fine, and we can print to any of the
printers in this manner.  A/UX 2.0 cannot handle this.  I can do at_cho_prn,
or watch atstatus all day long, but the zone info just plain makes 2.0
lose it's mind.

Yes, /etc/appletalkrc has ethertalk0 on, yes the kernel has ae6 on, yes
the print daemon is running, YES IT WORKS JUST FINE IF ONLY ONE ZONE
EXISTS!!!!!!!

You tell me....
Greg Maples
Camex Inc., A Du Pont Company
maples%ddtisvr@uunet.uu.net

steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) (07/21/90)

In article <1990Jul20.161450.17356@ddti.com> maples@ddti.com (Greg Maples) writes:
)In article <43088@apple.Apple.COM> lantz@Apple.COM (Bob Lantz) writes:
)>>
)
[...]

I am not sure if this will help your problem but...
If you recall from the AUX 2.0 README disk, there is some mention of a
machine that will server to hold updates for AUX.  As a matter of fact, the
machine does exist and does have a fix for AUX 2.0 and ddp.

aux.support.apple.com:~ftp/aux.patches/supported/2.0/ddp/*

This is the README file from the update.

---
Date of Change:
07/18/90
Responsible Person/Organization:
Apple Computer, A/UX Engineering

Program Name:
/etc/install.d/boot.d/ddp

Reason for Change:
The ddp driver in the A/UX kernel would not recognize AppleTalk networks
with low network numbers.  This would show up as missing zones in the
chooser.

Description of Change:
No description.

Notes:
The INSTALL script will install the new ddp driver and update your kernel
for you.