[comp.unix.aux] Version 2.0 and removable devices

rhodes@grebyn.com (Ned Rhodes) (07/17/90)

	Let me start by saying that I have the manual set and I do try
and RTFM, but...  It appears to me that any devices that are known to
the MacOS that you boot from and then launch A/UX, will be known as HFS
volumes.  I.e.  with the CDROM init installed in the boot disk, A/UX can
see it.  Same goes for a syquest cartridge.  But if you don't have a
cartridge in when you boot and then launch A/UX, A/UX will not see the
cartridge at all.  I find this strange, but maybe someone can explain it
to me.
	The other "funny" thing is that yes you can read a CD or syquest
cartridge just fine under A/UX, but how do you mount a new volume
without taking the system down.  If you throw either a syquest volume or
a CDROM in the trash, you 1) cannot eject the disk and 2) you never see
the volume until you reboot to MacOS.
	Is this the way it was supposed to work or can someone point me
to a section in the manual so that I can get educated?  Thanks.

--
Ned W. Rhodes                   (703) 534-2297 (voice)
Software Systems Group          (703) 237-9654 (fax)

mike@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Mike Nowak) (07/23/90)

In article <20416@grebyn.com> rhodes@grebyn.com (Ned Rhodes) writes:

>	The other "funny" thing is that yes you can read a CD or syquest
>cartridge just fine under A/UX, but how do you mount a new volume
>without taking the system down.  If you throw either a syquest volume or
>a CDROM in the trash, you 1) cannot eject the disk and 2) you never see
>the volume until you reboot to MacOS.
>	Is this the way it was supposed to work or can someone point me
>to a section in the manual so that I can get educated?  Thanks.
>
>--
>Ned W. Rhodes                   (703) 534-2297 (voice)
>Arlington, VA  22205            rhodes@grebyn.COM

I have discovered the same thing on my 2.0 system.  I tried to install
the SilverLining Cirrus Init for Syquest drives in the A/UX System Folder
but when I start a session, I get a crash with ID=12.  I assume this is
because this INIT uses the SCSI Manager but I'm not sure.

If anyone finds out how to use removable MacOS media under A/UX, please
let me know too!  Thanks.

Mike Nowak.