[comp.unix.aux] A/UX 2.0, SE/30 and external Monitors

jkight@umd5.umd.edu (Jeff Kight) (07/24/90)

Does A/UX 2.0 recognize external monitors on an SE/30? What
about 3rd party ethernet cards since Apple doesn't make one?
---------
Jeff Kight                     All opinions expressed are my own.
jkight@umd5.umd.edu

blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) (07/24/90)

I have an Asante Ethernet board in my SE/30. It works fine under both A/UX
1.1.1 and A/UX 2.0.

Since I have an Ethernet board, I don't have an external monitor.  I don't
know how they work.

  Another bit of data from:
--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (07/24/90)

In <6944@umd5.umd.edu> jkight@umd5.umd.edu (Jeff Kight) writes:

>Does A/UX 2.0 recognize external monitors on an SE/30? What
>about 3rd party ethernet cards since Apple doesn't make one?

Don't know about monitors, but A/UX (even A/UX 1.1) uses the
driver firmware on the monitor card in the same way as MacOS,
so if your monitor doesn't require extra files in the MacOS
system folder then it will probably work under A/UX.

Ethernet cards is a different matter. These always require a
driver under MacOS, and MacOS drivers won't work under A/UX 2.0
so you will need an A/UX device driver for your card. If the
vendor claims that you don't need one, get the card on sale or
return :-)

Incidentally, we have about 50 Kinetics ETherPort II cards
which are now over two years old (i.e. they are the long ones,
not the new short ones). The A/UX 1.1 device driver for these
works under A/UX 2.0 but doesn't support EtherTalk (the MacOS
driver doesn't support EtherTalk phase 2 either). What happens
to these boards now that Kinetics has been bought by someone
else and broken into little pieces?  I have a proposition to
make to anyone who now controls driver source code for these cards,
namely that I will make the necessary changes and give the code
back to you. Please mail me as I need EtherTalk support under
A/UX 2.0 as soon as possible (and definitely before October).
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP