[comp.unix.aux] GDB on apple.com

shaff@elements.rpal.com (Mike Shaff) (07/26/90)

ciao,

First, I would like to thank all of those who took a few moments to answer my
MacX question.  We are now happily compatible.

Does anyone know if the GDB that is distributed along with Emacs from apple.com
works on A/UX (2.0 if that is an issue)?

I am working on so many ports at this point that the thought of one more is
traumatic.

--
	mas

It's either lunacy or lightnin'

coolidge@casca.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (07/27/90)

shaff@elements.rpal.com (Mike Shaff) writes:
>Does anyone know if the GDB that is distributed along with Emacs from apple.com
>works on A/UX (2.0 if that is an issue)?

I don't think the emacs version works, but...

	Announcing gdb 3.5 for A/UX!

The README is appended to this posting. All the files mentioned should
be available on wuarchive.wustl.edu in the systems/aux/gnu directory.

--John

This set of patches should allow GDB 3.5 to work with A/UX (1.1 amd 2.0).
I am indebted to John Vasta (vasta@apollo.com) for providing COFF support
for gcc, g++, gas, and gdb, upon which much of this patch is built. I am
also indebted to Damon Permezel (dap@fubar.UUCP) for providing me with an
early version of the m-aux.h and aux-dep.c files.

in the systems/aux directory (/archive/systems/aux for those NFS mounting
wuarchive) or in the gnu/aux directory (note: the binaries are single
files --- NOT tar files!):
gdb-3.5.aux2.Z  		Binary for gdb-3.5 on A/UX (gas/dbx
					version). This was built with 2.0.
					I don't know if it will run on 1.1.
sgdb-3.5.aux2.Z 		Binary for gdb-3.5 on A/UX (as/sdb
					version). This was built with 2.0.
					I don't know if it will run on 1.1.
gdb-3.5.aux.diffs.Z		Patches for gdb-3.5 supporting A/UX. These
					should not break support for any
					other machine, and should work for
					A/UX 1.1 and 2.0.
gdb-3.5.aux.src.tar.Z		Sources for gdb-3.5 with the above diffs
					already applied.

These patches support the use of either the standard Apple assembler,
and with it COFF symtab and sdb-format debugging information, or the use
of gas with COFF support and dbx-format stab debugging. COFF encapsulation
will probably also work, but it hasn't been tested (since I doubt anyone
would actually want it...).

If you're using Apple's as, you need to specify 'aux' as the target
system when running config.gdb. If you're using gas, specify 'auxgas'
as the target. To compile correctly, you must either 1) use the
-traditional flag to gcc or 2) run fixincludes to install fixed
include files in gcc's gcc-include directory. I strong support doing
the second, since it will fix all manner of problems with other pieces
of software as well.

Please report any bugs which appear to be in the base gdb code to
the FSF, and any bugs in the A/UX support to me. At the present time,
the FSF isn't likely to help with any A/UX related bugs.

--John Coolidge
coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1990 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.