[comp.unix.aux] How do you turn off AppleTalk?

mike@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Mike Nowak) (07/27/90)

I need to know how to turn off AppleTalk so I can specify a Chooser
printer attached to the printer port.  I tried to build a kernel
without AppleTalk, I tried appletalk -d, but I can't figure
out how to turn off AppleTalk.  This is for a single machine site
so I don't need AppleTalk running.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mike Nowak.

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (07/28/90)

In <1990Jul26.204012.11924@terminator.cc.umich.edu> mike@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Mike Nowak) writes:

>I need to know how to turn off AppleTalk so I can specify a Chooser
>printer attached to the printer port.  I tried to build a kernel
>without AppleTalk, I tried appletalk -d, but I can't figure
>out how to turn off AppleTalk.  This is for a single machine site
>so I don't need AppleTalk running.

Try module_dump /unix to check to see if you have really got a kernel
without AppleTalk. The correct way to uninstall it is to say

	/etc/newconfig noappletalk

If the module_dump doesn't show you that AppleTalk has gone then
you are either failing the kernel build or getting your kernel from
elsewhere.

The certain death to AppleTalk, installed or not, is to move
/etc/appletalk to another name (e.g. /etc/appletalk.nein_danke)
in whcih case the attempt to start it (in /etc/startup by the way)
will fail.

Are you sure that you need to turn of AppleTalk anyway?
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP

mike@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Mike Nowak) (07/29/90)

In article <2585@sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk> liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) writes:
>In <1990Jul26.204012.11924@terminator.cc.umich.edu> mike@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Mike Nowak) writes:
>
>>I need to know how to turn off AppleTalk so I can specify a Chooser
>>printer attached to the printer port.  I tried to build a kernel
>>without AppleTalk, I tried appletalk -d, but I can't figure
>>out how to turn off AppleTalk.  This is for a single machine site
>>so I don't need AppleTalk running.
>
>Try module_dump /unix to check to see if you have really got a kernel
>without AppleTalk. The correct way to uninstall it is to say
>
>	/etc/newconfig noappletalk
>
>If the module_dump doesn't show you that AppleTalk has gone then
>you are either failing the kernel build or getting your kernel from
>elsewhere.

Yes, I uninstalled AppleTalk this way.  I did a kernel dump as you suggested
and I didn't see anything named AppleTalk.

>The certain death to AppleTalk, installed or not, is to move
>/etc/appletalk to another name (e.g. /etc/appletalk.nein_danke)
>in whcih case the attempt to start it (in /etc/startup by the way)
>will fail.

I'll try this although my /etc/startup only seems to be starting bnet.
There's no mention of AppleTalk in the /etc/startup file on my machine.

>Are you sure that you need to turn of AppleTalk anyway?

Well, I have a modem on the phone port and a non-AppleTalk printer on
the printer port.  When I try to select this printer in the Chooser,
specify the printer port, the Chooser asks if I want to turn off AppleTalk.
I click OK but the printer port icon remains unhighlighted.

>William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk

Mike Nowak.

anderson@csli.Stanford.EDU (Steve Anderson) (07/30/90)

Has anyone (perhaps someone with the manuals...) figured out how to do
this yet? I too want to use a non-appletalk printer from the printer
port, but the chooser just gives me this repeated dialog about turning
off appletalk, and then insists I must want to use the modem port. I'd
be HAPPY to turn appletalk off, if I could figure out how ("newconfig
slip noappletalk" doesn't seem to make a kernal that's any better from
this point of view).

On an obviously related note, has anyone gotten an H-P DeskWriter to
work yet as the system printer (lpr, etc.)?

Steve Anderson
Cognitive Science Center
The Johns Hopkins University

anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu