[comp.unix.aux] A/UX 2.0 and two video cards

dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) (07/25/90)

[This is a repeat message that did not make it past our newsfeed (or so I
 was told).  If you have seen this before, I'm sorry I'm being redundant.]

The first thing I noticed after installing and starting A/UX 2.0 is
that my main monitor is the only one that works; the other monitor
is completely blank.  I thought that maybe the problem was that the
kernel needed to be reconfigured (I'm a novice), but configuring
with the verbose flag shows that the system knows both video cards
are there, so I now believe that A/UX simply can't handle more than
one video card.  Is this true, and if so, will A/UX be upgraded some
time to handle more than one video card?

Thanks,
Eric Dittman
Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility
dittman@skitzo.csc.ti.com
dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Texas Instruments or the Component Test
             Facility.  I don't even speak for myself.

dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry) (07/27/90)

In article <79.26ac4686@skbat.csc.ti.com> dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) writes:
>The first thing I noticed after installing and starting A/UX 2.0 is
>that my main monitor is the only one that works; the other monitor
>is completely blank.  I thought that maybe the problem was that the
>kernel needed to be reconfigured (I'm a novice), but configuring
>with the verbose flag shows that the system knows both video cards
>are there, so I now believe that A/UX simply can't handle more than
>one video card.  Is this true, and if so, will A/UX be upgraded some
>time to handle more than one video card?
	A/UX 2.0 currently only uses the lowest numbered monitor.
	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
	dwb@apple.com

jlo@otc.otca.oz (John O_Neill) (07/29/90)

in article <9454@goofy.Apple.COM>, dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry) says:
> 	A/UX 2.0 currently only uses the lowest numbered monitor.
> 	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
> 	dwb@apple.com

Unless you are running A/UX 2.0 in X Windows mode, when additional monitors
are supported.
 --
 John O'Neill, Systems Engineer -  Apple Computer Australia Pty Ltd
 USENET: jlo@otc.oz.au

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (07/31/90)

[ dueling apple folks ]

David W. Berry <dwb@archer.apple.com> says:

	A/UX 2.0 currently only uses the lowest numbered monitor.

John O'Neill <jlo@otc.oz.au> says:

	Unless you are running A/UX 2.0 in X Windows mode, when
	additional monitors are supported.

Ok, so what piece of software doesn't recognize more than the lowest
numbered monitor?  The kernel?  The finder?

Help me out here ...

/jordan