[comp.unix.aux] Another Question

jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (07/30/90)

I forgot to add this to my previous posting, so please forgive me.

You have to specify what type disk most resembles the one which you will be
installing A/UX. Of course, the have the Apple 20-80-160SC disks, but none
others other than "generic"...

What does this do? I mean, I have a CDC/Imprimis/Wren 173, so I have to choose
generic. At least I GUESS I do. After all, what does resemble mean. Can I
select HD 160 SC and HOPE it works, or will generic make sure that everything
is OK (i.e., you could select generic for all Apple disks and the installation
would STILL work OK, and performance would not suffer. I assume it is at this
point that mkfs creates the file system, so you would HOPE that it creates
the right blocksize, etc...
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Kilimanjaro is a pretty tricky climb. Most of it's up, until you reach
 the very, very top, and then it tends to slope away rather sharply."

vlb@magic.aux.apple.com (Vicki Brown) (07/31/90)

In article <2939@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) writes:
>I forgot to add this to my previous posting, so please forgive me.
>
>You have to specify what type disk most resembles the one which you will be
>installing A/UX. Of course, the have the Apple 20-80-160SC disks, but none
>others other than "generic"...

The A/UX newfs command thinks it needs certain information about your disk.
The information it wants is the number of sectors/track and the number of
tracks/cylinder.  These values are largely for purposes of tuning performance,
and don't have a lot of bearing on SCSI drives.  Pick a disk that resembles
yours in size, or try the generic values (the defaults mkfs uses).

For A/UX 2.0, you will notice that more than just Apple drives are listed in
the Installation menu.  For example, the HD 160 SC is listed with
(CDC Wren V HH) beside it.

(The original design allowed for you to enter your own values if you didn't
want "generic".  Unfortunately.... We thank you for the bug report and I
will get this fixed.)
   Vicki Brown   A/UX Development Group		Apple Computer, Inc.
   Internet: vlb@apple.com			MS 58A, 10440 Bubb Rd.
   UUCP: {sun,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!vlb		Cupertino, CA  95014 USA
              Ooit'n Normaal Mens Ontmoet?  En..., Beviel't?
          (Did you ever meet a normal person?  Did you enjoy it?)

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (07/31/90)

Yes, you have to have a MacPartition because the Mac ROMs expect to boot
from a genuine HFS filesystem (Yes, we hate this as well).

A/UX Startup needs to work from your MacPartition System Folder, but
you can otherwise change it however you want to. Once you have booted
A/UX the system folder in the Mac Partition is ignored.

Layout 1.9 - no idea. Try it. You will need to install it in the
System Folder that you can see in /:mac:sys:System Folder, unless you
have gotten clever and started using personal system folders.
If you can't install it in a booted System, copy the System File onto
the Mac Partition, boot again from a floppy and install it onto that copy.
Then boot A/UX again and copy it back. (Tedious!).

Disks - the information in /etc/disktab is just about fine-tuning the
layout of the 4.2 filesystems to try to minimise head movements. If
you don't have a suitable disktab entry, then any entry will work but you
might get slightly worse performance. The 4.2 assumptions are that a
disk has a fixed number of sectors per track, which isn't true on the
newer bigger SCSI disks anyway, so you can't win all the time.
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP

demarsee@gamera.acs.syr.EDU (Darryl E. Marsee) (07/31/90)

I have a Miniscribe 160Mb disk (non-Apple) that I was able to format
for A/UX 2.0 using the Apple HDSC SetUp hack, and then installed A/UX
2.0 on just fine by telling the installation it's an Apple HD160SC.
So, you don't have to have an Apple Disk to install using Apple's
default disk specifications.
--

Regards,
                                               __                    ,
  >         *       |  UUCP   ...!uunet!gamera.cns.syr.edu!demarsee
 /                  |  CI$    72136,77
|______________     |  AT&T   (315) 443-1816
               `_   |  SNAIL  221 Machinery Hall, Syracuse NY 13244 US
Go Amtrak...     `__|  ICBM   43 02 N, 76 08 W, Alt 400

chuq@Apple.COM (Smile when you say that) (08/01/90)

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) writes:
>A/UX Startup needs to work from your MacPartition System Folder, but
>you can otherwise change it however you want to. Once you have booted
>A/UX the system folder in the Mac Partition is ignored.

Actually, not true. I boot from my internal and then use A/UX startup to
bring up A/UX on my external. There's a MacOS partition over there, but I
only boot it when I can't keep my system heap under 1 megabyte (which is
most of the time now), which causes A/UX Startup to not want to boot because
it requires a specific location in memory.

>Layout 1.9 - no idea. Try it.

Nope. Layout requires you to be in finder. A/UX is multifinder.

--
Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

We tend to idealize tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested
with losers and nut cases -- Patrick Nielsen Hayden

jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway Jr.) (08/01/90)

In article <2600@sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk> liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) writes:
>Layout 1.9 - no idea. Try it. You will need to install it in the
>System Folder that you can see in /:mac:sys:System Folder, unless you
>have gotten clever and started using personal system folders.
>If you can't install it in a booted System, copy the System File onto
>the Mac Partition, boot again from a floppy and install it onto that copy.
>Then boot A/UX again and copy it back. (Tedious!).

I just tried it and it sort of works.  e.g. the placement stuff seems fine, but
if you bring up the help window (about layout) and attempt to scroll it, layout
blows out.  So I suspect it isn't 32 bit clean (as it claims).  Also whats this
about "installing it in /:mac:sys:System Folder"???  just stick it anywhere and
run it.  How it finds THE Finder is not clear to me, I am not using a private
system folder so there is only one.  Also you will need to log out to have the
chnages take efffect and be sure the Finder file is writable by you.

While I am here, I find that using the Mac interface to unix makes me REALLY
want a new view mode (small icon, icon, date, etc..) namely by icon
but not including files beginning with ".".  i.e. an ls, not an ls -a.  I think
i will end up putting all my files/dirs into a subordinate dir to $HOME to
simulate this effect. seems like a hack.
	-jrg

--
internet     jrg@apple.com      John R. Galloway, Jr.
(soon to be) jrg@galloway.sj.ca.us

These are my views, NOT Apple's, I am a GUEST here, not an employee!!